How do you with 1 extruder survive with PLA Supports?

Kyle Springer

Oct 14, 2014, 1:27:39 PM10/14/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com

For you who have 1 extruder and use just PLA to do the supports and the part, how do you make it work where you can remove the supports completely? I am new to this but am learning quick. I have a 3dTouch, and I have been trying to get ABS to work nicely and of course it doesn't like to consistently cooperate.

Isaac Thompson

Oct 14, 2014, 3:52:22 PM10/14/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
for supports, as long as it's not a perfectly flat overhang, they come off pretty easy. use the "gap" setting to create a horizontal gap between the model and the support. for anything other than a perfect flat overhang, this results in a vertical gap and they support comes off easily. for flat overhangs, it's a huge pain and you basically just cut everything off with a pair of sharp flush-cut pliers.

Mikk Kiilaspää

Oct 14, 2014, 4:06:05 PM10/14/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Also, don't overextrude.

Kyle Springer

Oct 14, 2014, 5:24:48 PM10/14/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
What should I set the gap too?

Mikk Kiilaspää

Oct 14, 2014, 5:26:46 PM10/14/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Default 0.5 mm is just fine, but feel free to play around with it to see how it works out for you.

Kyle Springer

Oct 14, 2014, 5:44:57 PM10/14/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
How do I not over Extrude? I'm learning all the quirks but I have to this point been learning on my own and with google.

On Tuesday, October 14, 2014 3:06:05 PM UTC-5, Mikk Kiilaspää wrote:
Also, don't overextrude.

Davide Ardizzoia

Oct 14, 2014, 6:40:53 PM10/14/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Overextruding = extruding more material than expected

You avoid overextruding carefully calibrating your printer.
Usually you print a single wall box then measure the printed walls thickness: you should get the measure expected.
If not, you should verify (easier to trickier): filament diameter, flow tweak, extruder step settings (gain, in Printer, extruder hardware tab).

Best Regards
Davide Ardizzoia

Kyle Springer

Oct 14, 2014, 8:26:32 PM10/14/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
If I make the wall box in solid works, what do I set the thickness to or thin feature?

PenskeGuy

Oct 15, 2014, 12:53:12 AM10/15/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Use the attached. Note in these instructions that you model a SOLID cube. You do not concern youself with modeling wall thickness. KS settings for the two tests take care of that; from the one model.
thin-wall-solid-cube-calibration.pdf

Kyle Springer

Oct 15, 2014, 5:48:22 PM10/15/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I did this, but it was still stuck to the Arch I built, but the top of it got stuck, I could always do a final layer with ABS too, but that will slow down printing times drastically.

Vlad O

Oct 19, 2014, 8:19:40 PM10/19/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for clear step-by-step explanation.

I did a model and make it slice for "thin wall":  looking descent  with about Flow Tweak = 2.  With orifice about 0.3mm walls measured 0.31 - which I think excellent.

After I did slice for "Solid":  looking descent  with about Flow Tweak = 1.12, but interestingly enough walls start to saffering - they become almost connected dots, where a stepper extruding material and connection where no steps.  So, bottom looking solid, almost no open triangles but walls is absolutely unacceptable.

So, I got two parameters,  which is contradicting. This is simple calculation algorithm errors.

Reason, why I start to look for solution for working with KS is ununiforrmal printing some parts of the model.
I find your recommendations very useful.  But when I do print in Slic3R, all prints and flow rate is calculated with one single user parameter entry. Here in KS it is impossible to reach a balance.  I truly believe it need to be corrected inside the software - where is calculation for thin wall and solid fill need to be calculated properly and not need to be adjusted for each wall of the model.   In another word, a vehicle driving to North and to South brake shall work identically, based on construction, not a direction of driving. : )
Like we all, most my models what I work has both - Thin Wall   and   Solid Fill - how it could be fixed on fly ?

So, what the options is left for this version?

What the way to submit this problems to developers, to level they will hear and implement.

Vlad
15x15x5 test cube.stl

PenskeGuy

Oct 19, 2014, 10:39:14 PM10/19/14
On Sunday, October 19, 2014 5:19:40 PM UTC-7, Vlad O wrote:
I did a model and make it slice for "thin wall":  looking descent  with about Flow Tweak = 2.  With orifice about 0.3mm walls measured 0.31 - which I think excellent.

After I did slice for "Solid":  looking descent  with about Flow Tweak = 1.12, but interestingly enough walls start to saffering - they become almost connected dots, where a stepper extruding material and connection where no steps.  So, bottom looking solid, almost no open triangles but walls is absolutely unacceptable.

So, I got two parameters,  which is contradicting. This is simple calculation algorithm errors.

Not experiencing this at all. A slight variation, if anything. I would look at other factors. Besides, the Flow Tweak is a constant that is applied. It doesn't care if the print path is thin wall or not, because it doesn't know. If you have gapping in certain areas, look at Min and Max mm^3/s. These will influence calculations.

Vlad O

Oct 20, 2014, 6:33:15 PM10/20/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Interesting enough.   Thank you for pointing on this.
I will try to vary that parameters to see how it is influence.
But where it is describe, like a manual or perhaps a guide how to adjust ?

I read your ThinWall-Solid calibration, and it is not mentioned at all.
I assume, based what is pop-up telling me - it is a bordered valued, which is advisory value for the caluculation to do not go over them during a trajectory planning   ->  Limitor to Min and Max valume to calculate =  (PathThikness) * (Width) * (HeadSpeed)     I am correct?
I have Min = 0.3 and max 5 mm^3/s

If yes, how need to explain for the trajectory calculator to do the math correctly?

I do appreciate your explanations.

PenskeGuy

Oct 24, 2014, 1:10:56 AM10/24/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, October 20, 2014 3:33:15 PM UTC-7, Vlad O wrote:
I have Min = 0.3 and max 5 mm^3/s

Running settings for one printer on another can lead to more that confusion, but my 3DT is set at: Min = 0.15 and Max = 10.