Strange Tool path irregularity

Cordvision

Sep 28, 2014, 8:10:39 PM9/28/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I just sliced a part that has gear teeth. Each tooth is exactly the same. For some reason, kisslicer creates blobs on the tips of a few teeth. I decided to take a closer look at the tool path in kisslicer, and I can actually see where the "mistake" happens. As you can see in the attached screenshots, a few of the teeth have some "extra" tool path on the very tip. This creates a blob of extruded plastic where there shouldn't be any (outside the actual model boundary). Out of over 100 teeth on the part, about 7 have those blobs, the other ones are fine. Any idea what might cause this?

BTW: Using the lates Kisslicer Beta version.
Screen Shot 2014-09-29 at 1.59.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-09-29 at 1.58.01 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-09-29 at 2.05.32 AM.png

PenskeGuy

Sep 28, 2014, 11:35:31 PM9/28/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Might be good to take a look at the model. I'm unsure why the path is sharp, while the teeth appear to be a normal spur gear shape.

Does altering OverSample Resolution change them?
How about Crowning length?

Cordvision

Sep 28, 2014, 11:52:15 PM9/28/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your help. I just set crowning length to -1 (disabled it) and it fixed the issue. Not sure if that is a bug within crowning or if this is just how it works. I noticed that the paths for each tooth are a little bit different from one another, but it is such a small gear (mod .8) that I think this might just be some sort of rounding error. I think the path ends in a point because the diameter of the extruded plastic (looked at from the top) is larger or equal to the tip size of a tooth.

PenskeGuy

Sep 29, 2014, 4:48:45 AM9/29/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Crowning shouldn't exceed the extremities of the part, so there may be an issue here that is worth investigating. Yes, rounding errors have been problematical in earlier versions; especially on acute angles of exterior corners. Usually, setting a finer OverSample Resolution will cure them.

Bart

Sep 29, 2014, 5:01:51 AM9/29/14
to kisslicer-refugee-camp@googlegroups com

Recently the crowning was erratic because of a negative inset.  It's a sensitive ruler....

Op 29 sep. 2014 10:48 schreef "PenskeGuy" <bj-g...@imperialearth.com>:
Crowning shouldn't exceed the extremities of the part, so there may be an issue here that is worth investigating. Yes, rounding errors have been problematical in earlier versions; especially on acute angles of exterior corners. Usually, setting a finer OverSample Resolution will cure them.

Cordvision

Sep 29, 2014, 10:14:45 AM9/29/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I had it at the default value (I believe that was 1) when it caused the problem.

funBart

Sep 29, 2014, 10:25:23 AM9/29/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Ah, no, I meant really inset on the Style-Tab, not the Crowning threshold. With a earlier beta, and Crowning enabled, and a negative inset on the style-tab it was giving odd results, but that's fixed now.