Blob at start of print but nowhere else

M-P Spierer

Oct 27, 2014, 8:52:53 AM10/27/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Just started using KISSlicer this weekend and am loving it. Only problem so far that I am having is that at the beginning of a print, the extruder primes the full amount of material specified in the setting under "prime" even though the hotend already has material in it. Since I am using a bowden setup with 1.75mm material out of my delta machine, I have my prime/suck set at 10mm. This 10mm prime at the beginning of the print ends up putting a huge blob on my skirt.

Right now I am manually going into my gcode and changing the E92 value from 0 to 9.8, so that it only primes 0.2mm at the beginning of a print when the E10 command is sent. Is there a way in the software settings to not prime so much at the beginning of the print?

Jesper Lindeberg

Oct 27, 2014, 10:14:59 AM10/27/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Just put a "G1 E-10 F1800" (F1800 is just a number I put in, put in your suck/prime feedrate i mm/min) in you start.gcode as the last thing after heating and so on.
Then it will retract before print start and the prime as it does now.

M-P Spierer

Oct 27, 2014, 11:09:51 AM10/27/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Ahhh..good idea. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks.

Patrick Dussud

Oct 27, 2014, 1:04:11 PM10/27/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I have been using this work-around. It isn't very convenient as the amount of retract set in the start.gcode needs to match the amount set in the material tab. It is easy to change the material tab, not so easy to change the start.gcode.

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 08:09:51 -0700
From: mp.sp...@gmail.com
To: kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [kisslicer-refugee-camp] Re: Blob at start of print but nowhere else

M-P Spierer

Oct 27, 2014, 9:57:24 PM10/27/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Is there a way to add a math command to the start.code...something like G92 E[<prime>-0.1] to set the extruder zero at 0.1mm less than the prime value?

If this is a completely outlandish idea let me know since I've only used Slic3r generated gcode for the past year.

Patrick Dussud

Oct 27, 2014, 10:19:44 PM10/27/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
That would be great but I don't think that <PRIME> is a token supported by KISS.

> Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 18:57:23 -0700
> From: mp.sp...@gmail.com
> To: kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
> Subject: RE: [kisslicer-refugee-camp] Re: Blob at start of print but nowhere else

> Is there a way to add a math command to the start.code...something like G92 E[<prime>-0.1] to set the extruder zero at 0.1mm less than the prime value?
>
> If this is a completely outlandish idea let me know since I've only used Slic3r generated gcode for the past year.

M-P Spierer

Oct 28, 2014, 9:10:26 AM10/28/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
That's unfortunate. I wonder if there is any other way.

Isaac Thompson

Oct 28, 2014, 3:38:06 PM10/28/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
here's my piece of gcode that fixes this

G1 Y0 Z.5;
G1 X0 Y0 Z.1 E25 F900; extrudes the "blob" across the front of the build platform, so you dont' get a blob on the part and it extrudes a bunch of plastic that was sitting in the extruder hotend
G92 E0 ; set E to zero
G4 P250 ; Wait 250ms
G1 X0 Y0 Z0 F10000 ; move to front left corner and then start (pretty sure this line is just leftover and not needed)