Dual Extrusion Help

Don Drake

Jun 17, 2014, 11:49:37 PM6/17/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys wondering if maybe some one can help shed some light as im a total noob at this.

im learning solidworks and trying to create a dual extrusion print .. nothing to complicated just a barrel with a "liquid" center the outer barrel would print in a clear and then a colored inner.

when i load them in to kiss they display correctly as 1 item

it detects the multiple meshes correctly

when i go and set all the meshes for the outer to extruder 1 and then inner to extruder 2 and slice it  i only get the paths for the outer. if i swap it to the outer using extruder 2 and the inner using 1 i get paths for both but the inner has no top or bottom it just becomes a cylinder that gets printed inside the barrel.

ive also tried saving it as a single file and kiss shows all 3 meshes but i get the same results as if it were 2 different files

now as i said im a complete noob both at soild works and printing in general

it could be that i designed the part incorrectly in soildworks, however when i tried it on the software that came with my printer it sliced it correctly and the inner had a top and a bottom

so i have attached all of my files and am hoping someone can help me figure out what the heck im doing wrong

btw i have a BFB 3d touch printer if that helps at all

Thanks in advance

Don
barrel.STL
barrel inner.STL
barrel outer.STL
barrel.SLDPRT

Matej Rozman

Jun 18, 2014, 12:40:04 AM6/18/14
to Don Drake, kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com

Split rhe barrel with a 0.01mm solid. Surface is not enough.

This is becaose kisslicer is doing boleans operations and if parts mate too perfect together, they will be treated as one.

Hope it helps :-), Matej

Don Drake

Matej Rozman

Jun 18, 2014, 1:21:59 AM6/18/14
to Don Drake, kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com

Sorry, its still early over here.

Try to make some clearance between parts. 0.01mm did it in my case.

I belive this happens when you are doing model in solidworks or simmilar cad sw, and then export to stl.
Someone correct me if im wrong, but patys that are too perfect aligning to each other will be treated as one when slicing.

Dne 18. jun. 2014 07:14 je oseba "Don Drake" <the0c...@gmail.com> napisala:

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/kisslicer-refugee-camp.

Matej Rozman

Jun 18, 2014, 4:38:34 AM6/18/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I see, have just downloaded the model and saw right away where the problem is.

So this is very simmilar to the "hollow cube" problem (before the week 42 of Jonathan abscense). Some time ago some user here tried to slice the hollow cube with V1.2.XX, but it was treated as solid. We have discussed this problem and we came to conclusion, this is result of bolean operation Kiss does. Please someone correct me if Im wrong (Jonathan your explanation would be great here).

So the answer to your question, this object is unslicable with multi extruder setup. Even if you want to make the outer barrel by itselfe with one head, it would come out solid, or lets say filled with whatever % you have set.

Hope this explains this behaviour.

But, I would really really like to know if there is any bypass to this behaviour, becaose for example someone wants to make objets hollow in any particular way with his own internal structure, this would be impossible with Kisslicer as it is.

Now, hope this helps :-)

lonesock (Jonathan)

Jun 18, 2014, 11:15:30 AM6/18/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
If you want the inside empty, you can select "Void" on the extruder map.  The only likely problem is then there is no support generated inside that void area.  This is by design, actually, since we are specifying that we want it to actually be void.  However, maybe there should be a "Void", and a "Void-with-support" option?  Not sure how helpful that will be.

You can change the extruder priority...an extruder listed earlier in line-up will trump an extruder later in the list.  For overlapping segments this will determine which extruder takes priority.  Void is always the highest priority.

Jonathan

lucas...@hotmail.com

Jul 5, 2014, 1:24:48 PM7/5/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

would agree with Matej.
Haven´t looked at your files, but can recommend the following regarding "internal calculation-resolution":
If the bodies (I refer here to multi-body part to stay with SolidWorks-slang) fit super nice together with an offset of e.g. 0.001 (with an internal calculation-accuracy you set in the settings of course below that) in the original-CAD, then you will have a lot of other CAD-programs that when importing such files, and in settings/tools-options there are set to a lower internal calculation-resolution (e.g. 0.1mm), will then sometimes interpret all geometry as one solid when rounding numbers (if you do not call the advanced import and try to handle all that). Workaround is to set the whole chain of programs you deal with to the same internal resolution for calculation to avoid general import export number-flaws.
Some help for SolidWorks:
You can either use the "direct" tools in solid where you can do boolean operations with "combine" or "split" (surface) and then would have to scale (features->moulding stuff->scale) it at least for a very small percentage in SolidWorks so that there is a gap between the parts later of 0.01mm. Other possibility would be to do an offset (surface-tools) of your out er surface of 0.01 and solidify it after that for example.

@Jonathan: I do not know if it helps to minimize the "Oversample resolution" of KISSLicer´s "Pro"-Tab.