Kisslicer Manual

Davide Ardizzoia

Aug 9, 2014, 6:48:16 PM8/9/14
Anyone interested can download my current versionn (WIP) of a Kisslicer manual.

http://3ntr.eu/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/ks_qr_190814.pdf

Feel free to report any error, misunderstanding or gross mistake.

Best regards
Davide Ardizzoia

Lawrence LaRocque

Aug 9, 2014, 9:28:36 PM8/9/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Nice work. This will def help a lot of people and it even helped clear a few things up for me and I've been using is for years

Davide Ardizzoia

Aug 10, 2014, 3:49:04 AM8/10/14
Do note that is absolutely not THE LAW: please feel free to report anything that "stinks".
For example: I've yet to understand what NEXTX or NEXTY stands for.

Best Regards
Davide Ardizzoia

C-Line

Aug 11, 2014, 10:26:35 AM8/11/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Davide. In the Support section, you might want to clarify that the Gap setting is the horizontal, not vertical, distance between the support structure and the object.

On Saturday, August 9, 2014 6:48:16 PM UTC-4, Davide Ardizzoia wrote:
Anyone interested can download my current versionn (WIP) of a Kisslicer manual.

Bo Herrmannsen

Aug 11, 2014, 10:40:37 AM8/11/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Gab.... that reminds me of a calibration thing i sliced with kisslicer, it had a wall as thick as the nozzle
the purpose was to set extrusion multiply right

it came out with gabs in it, the gabs had strings in it. But i messured it with calibers without taking it off the bed.

but i know it should not have those gabs.

settings attached as zip and pics of how it should come out and how kisslicer outputs it

sorry for hijacking.... it just seemed fitting on the subject of gabs

               @(~Ô^Ô~)@
-------------oOo---U---oOo-------------
|                                     |
|  Bo Herrmannsen                     |
|                                     |
|                                     |
| "blessed are the "cracked",         |
|  for its they who let in the light" |
|                         Ooo         |
|_________________ooO____(   )________|
                 (   )    ) /
                  \ (    (_/
                   \_)

4010_1.png
4010_2.png
settings.zip

Davide Ardizzoia

Aug 11, 2014, 11:25:41 AM8/11/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, C-line for your help !

Best Regards
Davide Ardizzoia

L Robinson

Aug 17, 2014, 11:22:10 AM8/17/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, August 9, 2014 6:48:16 PM UTC-4, Davide Ardizzoia wrote:
Anyone interested can download my current versionn (WIP) of a Kisslicer manual.

Feel free to report any error, misunderstanding or gross mistake.

Best regards
Davide Ardizzoia

Thanks Davide, just what I have been looking for.

Andrea Pirazzini

Aug 18, 2014, 6:18:59 AM8/18/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Grande Davide! :)

Ci stavo effettivamente pensando anche io a crearne uno... ma non avevo troppe balle di farlo!

Davide Ardizzoia

Aug 18, 2014, 8:36:50 AM8/18/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Thank you!
Stay tuned for Italian version, too !

Ciao
Davide

Davide Ardizzoia

Aug 19, 2014, 3:20:37 AM8/19/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com

Posted new version...forgot to mention raft and brim options....

http://3ntr.eu/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/ks_qr_190814.pdf

Best Regards
Davide Ardizzoia

Davide Ardizzoia

Aug 28, 2014, 2:19:21 AM8/28/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
New version on-line:

http://3ntr.eu/?page_id=385

Save paper and the environment: don't print it, rather keep it on your smartphone !

...adesso anche in italiano, con nuova traduzione dei nuovi comandi:

http://3ntr.eu/?page_id=381

Rispetta l'ambiente e risparmia risorse: non stamparlo, piuttosto tienilo sul tuo smartphone !

Salute
Davide Ardizzoia

funBart

Aug 29, 2014, 3:07:11 PM8/29/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Davide: you did amazing work!  It looks like a standard work IMO. Very nice written, for the new user as well I think.

I only miss a part to describe the Extruder Mapping functions, or am I wrong?
If wanted I can contribute, so you can add it in your own style?

Bart

Davide Ardizzoia

Aug 29, 2014, 5:45:11 PM8/29/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Bart,
anybody can contribute!
And your contribution would be higly appreciated.
Extruder mesh/mapping, you mean ?  Yes, it WAS missing: next manual release will have it.
By the way, there is currently no way to translate it yet....

Best Regards
Davide Ardizzoia

Tarjei Knapstad

Sep 1, 2014, 4:15:23 AM9/1/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Excellent work Davide!

One small suggestion: it would be nice to have some examples of the GCode customization and use of tokens (in particular, I don't quite understand how <NEXTX>, <NEXTY> and <%> can be put to good use?).

I'll probably come up with more questions/suggestions as I get more familiar with KISSlicer, but I have to say your manual really helped getting me started, so big thanks!

Regards,
--
Tarjei

Davide Ardizzoia

Sep 1, 2014, 4:19:04 AM9/1/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
As I have zero experience with those three tokens, I hope some more skilled user is willing to share some knowledge about them (that I will put on next manual release)

Anybody: PLEASE report any mistake or misspelling!

Best Regards
Davide Ardizzoia

max72

Sep 3, 2014, 7:59:06 AM9/3/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Great work!!
Many thanks!
Davide, I have to meet you, and offer you a foamy drink, maybe at the microbirrificio Lambrate?
My writing skills are terrible.. I'm glad there is a much better writer around.. :-)
If I can of help please let me know.

Post process infos (maybe a little bit outdated):

Massimo

Davide Ardizzoia

Sep 3, 2014, 8:44:05 AM9/3/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi Max,
I am on the "other" side of Milan (near MXP, but in Piedmont).
Any "foaming dispenser" is OK, there is one know to be preferred by many reprappers in my area...

http://www.tripadvisor.it/Restaurant_Review-g1078291-d4178717-Reviews-Circolo_Sant_Eugenio-Lonate_Pozzolo_Province_of_Varese_Lombardy.html

Noted the wiki... will update manual accordingly.

Bye
Davide

Amit Garg

Sep 9, 2014, 11:24:07 AM9/9/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Yo...you went above and beyond here. Sweet manual.

On Saturday, August 9, 2014 6:48:16 PM UTC-4, Davide Ardizzoia wrote:
Anyone interested can download my current versionn (WIP) of a Kisslicer manual.

http://3ntr.eu/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/ks_qr_190814.pdf

Maurizio D'Angelo

Oct 16, 2014, 3:53:13 AM10/16/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
ciao,
la mia domanda sembrerà banale!!
come si fa a ruotare un pezzo lungo una direzione x y o z prescelta??

Davide Ardizzoia

Oct 16, 2014, 4:47:02 AM10/16/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Replied as PVT message in italian.

It is a request for rotation on XYZ or arbitrary axis.

It is on wishlist, currently you can only rotate on Z axis, using the controls on the STL items window (top right).

New version coming soon, along with machine & filament calibration!

Best Regards
Davide Ardizzoia

PenskeGuy

Oct 16, 2014, 5:03:01 AM10/16/14
Actually, as has been illustrated previously, all axis rotation has been possible for a long time. It isn't directly rotatable on a given axis, but by a sequence of rotations you can orientate a part in any way you want. Just takes a few steps.

Personally, I prefer to think ahead just a bit and orientate my part in my modeler, where I have far more control, and not ask a slicer to do this essentially redundant task.

Davide Ardizzoia

Oct 16, 2014, 6:07:12 AM10/16/14
I completely agree.
Once you realize that you MUST model into space as you should print, you can avoid a lot of time wasted into model placement.
IMHO the actual KS rotation tools (and axis inversion) are more than adeguate.
The real pain, for me, is upon support generation control: KS is light years ahead on support generation, but lacks control on raft thickness, support structure geometry (i.e.: having very high straight supporting structure is the perfect recipe for collapse).

Best Regards
Davide Ardizzoia

Vlad O

Oct 19, 2014, 10:10:30 PM10/19/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Davide,  Great Job on manual !

I have read once but will print a latest version and keep reading.

A few simple advises to improve.

First - add a Quick Start Chapter - just for beginners, who do not use to read manuals but would jump to details.  If it will be references to certain pages with explanations, would be a kind of "manual overview in short form".  In future would be add more pictures and some advises there...

Also -> terminology.  In the 3D printing world is not established yet a terminology set which uniformly represent a same features in different slicers and even hardware.  Moreover, it is difficult to start translation without a development vocabulary of the future translation. So, a terminology need to be expanded to almost any term in the screen (perhaps ask developers to give a list of inputs and messages, which would be a good start to generate terminology list).  Also, as separate chapter would be a hardware terminology.

Nice approach to make pictures, explanations under pictures really help !
So far from the manual I do not figure-out how to rename "simple printer", 'style", etc.  - do you know how?  please explain.

Very confusing a first experience in KS with a Style and Material tabs - all fields need to be explain in details.  I even start to create my own guide how to manage those tabs. perhaps something like that would be in Quick Guide section.

I personally like how you explain with pictures Skirt, Grid, Brim, etc.  All need to be explain a similar way.

I know, It is difficult to write a close to complete manual and it always a continuum rather then final product. So, I offer my help - if you can determine a specific area, which need to be done and frame work what need to be done, I am personally would participate in this work.
Further more, you can posted a list of open areas which need to be done, and i think people would be donate time, which will shorten a total delivery time and would be benefit to community.

Vlad

note 01.png

Davide Ardizzoia

Oct 20, 2014, 1:50:59 AM10/20/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Hello Vlad,
Thank you for all your remarks, nice to hear positive feedback!

So far, one of my biggest problems is the partial possibility to translate the user interface (i.e.: last time I checked, there is no translation available for the mesh/extruder pop up window).

I am cooking a new release of the manual with

-Printer calibration
-Tip and tricks
-LOTS of pictures

...stay tuned !

Best Regards
Davide Ardizzoia

PenskeGuy

Oct 24, 2014, 1:20:41 AM10/24/14
On Thursday, October 16, 2014 3:07:12 AM UTC-7, Davide Ardizzoia wrote:
I completely agree.
Once you realize that you MUST model into space as you should print, you can avoid a lot of time wasted into model placement.
IMHO the actual KS rotation tools (and axis inversion) are more than adeguate.

Just to clarify, and for those coming along later, being a person who always endeavors to have backups, I model the parts as they will fit together. THEN, for each discreet part, I create a build file, from which the slice will be made. My modeler has a pair of functions where you can hit one key and center the part on the Origin and rest it on Y = 0 (ground—which is the bed surface). Often, it will be standing on an edge or a corner. Select one poly and hit another key and the part rotates so that this poly is now on the ground; exactly and accurately in the orientation I want and that it needs to be in. No arbitrary guessing and readjusting how many degrees, or portions thereof, to rotate it. The print is a separate process and has nothing to do with the modeling; nor should it. Printing has its own limitations and preferences. They should be accommodated, without further constraint.