Specifying first layer thickness from other layers

Nick Rush

Jun 9, 2014, 10:36:04 AM6/9/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,
I'm somewhat familiar to printing but I'm still trying to learn the in's and out's of KISSlicer.  I was wondering if there was a way to specify a first layer thickness, like in Slic3r.  I suspect it might need to be added in the Printer G-Code prefix tab but I really have no idea what that code should be.  Thanks in advance!

Nick

frozen...@yahoo.com

Jun 9, 2014, 10:53:47 AM6/9/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I set my first layer thickness using Z-Offset under Printer>Hardware.

With a 0.2mm print layer, I set Z-Offset to -0.1mm, which makes the first layer height 0.1mm.

Nick Rush

Jun 9, 2014, 11:31:50 AM6/9/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
So if I wanted a thicker first layer I would, for example, set my z-offset to 0.1mm to get a first layer of 0.3mm?  KISSlicer will increase filament flow to compensate for the z-offset?

Joseph Chiu

Jun 9, 2014, 11:44:45 AM6/9/14
to Nick Rush, kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Not the offset.  It's the bed roughness that you want.   -- Well, actually, you use bed roughness to adjust how much filament to flow, and use offset to set the nozzle elevation to accommodate that increased extrusion.

Nick Rush

frozen...@yahoo.com

Jun 9, 2014, 12:08:44 PM6/9/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com, nick.r...@gmail.com, joe...@joechiu.com
I've been seeing this on a couple forums lately, when/where is the idea out there to make the 1st layer thicker than print layers?

Been printing for about a year and a half, and have ALWAYS set 1st layer to half of my print layer height, with the same flow rate, which effectively 'squishes' the first layer onto the bed, resulting in better adhesion.

Joseph Chiu

Jun 9, 2014, 12:26:19 PM6/9/14
to Nick Rush, kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Assuming you're generally happy with your setup right now, and just want the thicker first layer, yes.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/kisslicer-refugee-camp.

Nick Rush

Rick Zehr

Jun 10, 2014, 12:42:54 PM6/10/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com, nick.r...@gmail.com, joe...@joechiu.com
That will also produce a flange around the bottom of the print, which will probably need to be removed, depending on the application.