How Do I View Seam On Part In KISSlicer?

Mitchell Rabushka

Sep 14, 2014, 11:14:46 PM9/14/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
When I change the seam dial to print on a different place on my part, is it possible to view the seam on the part in KISSlicer so I can see if it's placed precisely where I want it?

funBart

Sep 15, 2014, 7:33:23 AM9/15/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
What I do is to set the Depth/Seam sliders temporarily  to the max. at the style tab, after slicing you can see the "V" shapes of the resulting Depth and Gap at the perimeter better.

Mitchell Rabushka

Sep 15, 2014, 7:57:08 AM9/15/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your suggestion; however that only is somewhat discernible in the path view.  I think it might be more helpful to easily see the seam in the model view to really get a feel for how it will look on my part.  Perhaps there should be an option to show the seam with a different color to find it easier in model view.

Thank you,

Mitch

Fat Freddie

Sep 15, 2014, 1:13:11 PM9/15/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I second the request - it can take a long time to get the seam in the right place on a model that takes a long time to slice. Being able to move the seam position control and see it move in real time would be great (as would a fine adjust on the position dial).

Thanks,
Mark

PenskeGuy

Sep 15, 2014, 1:40:46 PM9/15/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Set a small wipe. It shows orange where the layer end is.

Franz Scherz

Sep 15, 2014, 2:25:20 PM9/15/14
I would love to have two other seam options:
  Seam on closest outer edge
  Seam on closest inner edge

This is what I love to have! For round part's it's OK to start at the angle, but usually I like it on an edge, best on an inner edge because this is least visible.

Mitchell Rabushka

Sep 15, 2014, 8:21:11 PM9/15/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
@PenskeGuy - I appreciate the suggestion; however even with wipe on I do not get orange where the layer ends on the model (see screenshot below).  In the screenshot below the corner in plain view on the spout is where the seam is made, but there is no identifying colors or markings.  Maybe something else needs to be on?  In any event I much prefer to have a box to check to show the seam rather than change settings (like turn wipe on) to see it and then have to remember to change it back.
No Orange Seam Visible.jpg

funBart

Sep 15, 2014, 8:35:04 PM9/15/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
You have to slice it and view in Model+Path view, this is model view.
Bart

PenskeGuy

Sep 15, 2014, 8:54:03 PM9/15/14
On Monday, September 15, 2014 5:21:11 PM UTC-7, Mitchell Rabushka wrote:
I much prefer to have a box to check to show the seam rather than change settings (like turn wipe on) to see it and then have to remember to change it back.

When you see how pretty it is and how well it works, you'll get used to it. :-)
Besides, what's wrong with having a little Wipe?
Besides II, you can slice it then turn it on and off momentarily to certify where it is. There's your checkbox right there. Just isn't labelled Show Seam. Wipe, along with many other settings, isn't one that triggers a re-slice. Some of them, like this, can be very helpful when making decisions on how to do the final slice. There's functionality hidden all over. You just have to think creatively and discover them.

Mitchell Rabushka

Sep 16, 2014, 7:27:11 PM9/16/14

On Monday, September 15, 2014 7:54:03 PM UTC-5, PenskeGuy wrote:

When you see how pretty it is and how well it works, you'll get used to it. :-)
Besides, what's wrong with having a little Wipe?

Reply from Mitchell Rabushka: Ask Jonathan what’s wrong with a little wipe, he’s the one who gave us the option to turn it on and off.

Besides II, you can slice it then turn it on and off momentarily to certify where it is. There's your checkbox right there. Just isn't labelled Show Seam. Wipe, along with many other settings, isn't one that triggers a re-slice. Some of them, like this, can be very helpful when making decisions on how to do the final slice. There's functionality hidden all over. You just have to think creatively and discover them.

Reply from Mitchell Rabushka: Some materials may work better with wipe, some may not.  I'll be flipping the wipe button on and off with my preset profiles, which is just asking for mistakes to be made.  It's a workaround for sure, so I appreciate the temporary relief, but I'd rather not continually get bogged down in workarounds when things can be set up correctly in the first place.

Besides, how many other people are going to wonder how to view the seam in KISSlicer only after they print a seam in the wrong spot?  Time wasted searching for an answer and some bad initial prints could all potentially be avoided if there was a dedicated view seam preference setting.

Bart

Sep 16, 2014, 7:36:15 PM9/16/14
to kisslicer-refugee-camp@googlegroups com
O dear, brace for impact....

lonesock (Jonathan)

Sep 17, 2014, 2:14:51 PM9/17/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Heh...the seam.

So, the way KISSlicer places the seam, it needs to know the perimeter of the part (for each "island" of plastic) for each layer.  This means KISSlicer needs to perform the slice before it can place the seam.  With per-layer randomness (jitter) this gets even more fun.  So, in terms of showing where the seam will be *before* slicing, that is pretty unlikely.  I could easily show an approximation, like maybe a single line per layer radiating out from a vertical axis (in the middle of the part).  Not sure how much good that will do you, but it will at least give an approximation when multiple parts are rotated.

I could also place a "seam marker" in the model view, *after* slicing has occurred.  Hiding the seam is a big enough problem in 3D printing that I don't mind a little extra work on this topic.  Instead of a [x] checkbox with an option to show the seam, I think I could simply show the seam flags if the user has selected a control in the seam hiding control group.

Thoughts?

Jonathan

Patrick Dussud

Sep 17, 2014, 5:01:49 PM9/17/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I think this is a very good idea.
Patrick.

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 11:14:50 -0700
From: lone...@gmail.com
To: kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [kisslicer-refugee-camp] Re: How Do I View Seam On Part In KISSlicer?

Mitchell Rabushka

Sep 17, 2014, 9:25:59 PM9/17/14

Hi Jonathan,

1.     A pre-slicing approximate “radiating seam” sounds good especially if I can move it to where I want the seam to be so it will give me a good starting point pre-slice.  I realize verification of the actual seam will still be required post-slicing.

2.     A “seam marker” in Models view *after* slicing sounds great!  Can you also show this in Models+Paths so you don’t lose it if you switch between the views?

Also, when you refer to using a control to turn on the seam flags, does your definition of control "selected" entail if any of Depth > 0, Gap > 0, De-String checked, Wipe checked or Jitter = 0?  The reason for my question is that if I have pre-selected profiles I would not want to have to change something in “Seam Hiding” to generate a seam with a slice.

Thank you for pursuing this important topic!

Edited: Was Jitter <> 0 and s/b Jitter = 0

Fat Freddie

Sep 19, 2014, 6:50:14 AM9/19/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jonathan,

That sounds like a good solution - I would be quite happy to only have this functionality when jitter was off if that makes it easier.

The only thing I would add is to change the control to allow finer adjustments - on a large part, moving the rotary dial a tiny amount moves the seam quite a long way.

Thanks,
Mark