Matterhacker Filament

Andy S.

Mar 26, 2014, 7:46:13 PM3/26/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I have the Cube x Duo, I use the latest version Kisslicer. I just recently started using the matterhacker pla pro filament, (dia1.75mm and flow tweak at 1.14) the first half of every grow comes out perfect, then it seems like there's not much filament being extruded and it bunches the top layers.
Anyone have any experience with matterhacker filaments.

Peter Gregory

Mar 26, 2014, 7:59:11 PM3/26/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I use the same filament.
I've noticed it works well at low RPMs (2.0 or under).
Faster RPM will cause the filament to slip and make the popping noises.
I usually have to push the filament through to get past the stripped out spot when that happens.
The pro filament also has a very limited print range range - 185c - 200c, you may have yours printing too hot.

Andy S.

Mar 27, 2014, 9:15:17 PM3/27/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback, Iowert the temp to 185c and 1.1RPM , i printed fine until i got a Filament Flow Fail, i was 19 hr into a 54hr total print job, very frustrating.
Do you have any ideas on howto  resume a aborted print?

toranarod

Mar 27, 2014, 9:32:11 PM3/27/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Have you powered down the machine?  or touched any thing since it stopped.

I haven't tried this on a cube X.  there is a resume function. just don't know if it will apply to a filament failure.  it apply s to a heating error.  should do the same thing on the other.
But not sure.

Peter Gregory

Mar 27, 2014, 10:45:59 PM3/27/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I've been fighting the dreaded filament flow issue myself
I think the Matterhacker filament is not as hard as the Cubex filament and gets "flattened" when it gets pinched in the filament feed system.
If you get enough suck/prime repeats it will flatten the filament and it will slip - causing the filament flow issues.
At least that is a theory I have.

Andy S.

Mar 28, 2014, 10:52:22 PM3/28/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com

I think i know what cause the fail, I pulled out the filament and measured 2.24mm (for about an inch in length) thickness at the top of the print jet and was stuck there.
I also randomly measured the filament on the spool and its consistently closer to 1.81mm rather than 1.75mm. I guess matterhacker pla pro filament is
no as consistent as the regular pla. Any thoughts?

Luis E. Rodriguez

Mar 28, 2014, 11:37:38 PM3/28/14
to Andy S., kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
It's crap. It's crap filament. Many different users of different machines have reported so. The single shared variable? This filament.

Luis E. Rodriguez

Andy S.

hugues

Mar 29, 2014, 3:46:36 AM3/29/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
You can try colorfab pla it's arround 1.75 mm. Works great on my cubex.
I also order standard PLA it's a 1.7 diameter filament, and HIPS 1.8 mm at this shop: http://www.imprimante3dfrance.com

Andy S.

Mar 29, 2014, 11:29:03 PM3/29/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info everybody !!!

Rick Zehr

Mar 30, 2014, 8:43:59 PM3/30/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
If you are in the US, protoparadigm.com is excellent.