Mysterious waves

Thomy

Aug 25, 2014, 3:07:34 PM8/25/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys !

Does anybody knows where are the waves come from ?

I use KS with a Leapfrog Creatr. On the first few layers it randomly makes waves, when printing the bottom solid layers.
(of course the model has a flat surface and the bed flat too)

Thanks in advance
fotó 2 (1).JPG
fotó 1 (1).JPG

Franz Scherz

Aug 25, 2014, 4:04:00 PM8/25/14
I wanted to raise this question already as well because I have the same on a different printer and also flat glass surface.
I only can say that Kiss is not the problem because I tried varius slicers and with same pattern on grould (lines) they have same problem. CraftWare can handle circular fills and there you have same in different patterns for the waves.

I would love to know which parameters could reduce it:
Speed? Heat? Thinner first layer? Thicker first layer?

Whatever it is, let us know if you know!

hugues

Davide Ardizzoia

Aug 26, 2014, 3:39:54 AM8/26/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Looks like your first layer is a bit too thin. Increase z offset about 0.02 mm and see if it improves.

Best Regards
Davide Ardizzoia

ShawnT98027

Aug 26, 2014, 10:30:00 AM8/26/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
With over Three Years Experience... Printing 6-8 hours a day, 5 days a week, complex and close tolerance functional engineering prototypes.
Printing PLA @0.1mm Layer Height with +- 0.05mm tolerance for all dimensional shapes (except slightly undersized hole I.D.s).

I found the most common problem that creates waves, ripples or blistering in the first layer is :
(1) Heated Print Bed... TOO HOT !...
(2) Flow Rate... just a bit to high

Reduce one or both, and problem solved.

Regards,
ShawnT98027

Jeffrey Ballard

Aug 26, 2014, 9:11:24 PM8/26/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com

I agree with Shawn to much plastic is going down.

but a 3rd option would also help and it was mentioned earlier, increase your first layer height.

funBart

Aug 29, 2014, 4:20:01 PM8/29/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
I had that waves as well, improved by printing the first layer slower, better height adjustment so it sticks better to the glass, and use more hairspray (that's what I use to stick the print to the Build platform).

Thomy

Sep 3, 2014, 5:13:25 AM9/3/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys for your answers.

But it is not because of these reasons.

It looks like some kind of interference.

Even if I decrease the extrusion, the waves still there. It blobs a bit on the same position, that's why the waves are "born". Attached a picture.

xxxyyy.JPG

Geo Hagen

Sep 3, 2014, 7:11:25 AM9/3/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Thomy,

Can you check your pully's?
It can be a mechanical thing when your pully's are excentric.
Or maybe some backlash?.

Geo Hagen

funBart

Sep 3, 2014, 10:40:00 AM9/3/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Hard to tell on the picture, but couldn't it be some result of acceleration (although that can cause the same patron, it's usually more subtle) ? Maybe try a slower speed, conservative acceleration to rule that out?
Bart

Diane z

Sep 3, 2014, 4:02:01 PM9/3/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
sorry not answering your question but how did you put the ring around your object, I have been waiting for someone to respond to my question about that, thanks

Mitchell Rabushka

Sep 3, 2014, 8:27:57 PM9/3/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
In the material tab set raft type to skirt.

Davide Ardizzoia

Sep 4, 2014, 3:12:37 AM9/4/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Diane,
have you taken a look at the Kisslicer Manual ?
It could be helpful to get you to a standard knowledge level and let you help yourself, instead of waiting for someone to help you.
Feel free to report me any problem with it...

best regards
Davide Ardizzoia

PenskeGuy

Sep 5, 2014, 9:58:08 PM9/5/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Well, looking at the extrusion in places other than the part, your flow is erratic. Those dark spots in the skirt, separated by thin areas, tell the most. Flow should be uniform. That a pattern shows up in a large area says that it is a repeatable cyclic event. There is some sort of pulsing going on that pushes uneven amounts of material OR the bed is moving up and down; thereby creating the same result.

Pablo Fiestas

Sep 9, 2014, 4:53:14 AM9/9/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Maybe the waves could be because the lacquer on the glass?
I have the same "problem" sometimes on my Mendel Prusa i2.

Vlad O

Oct 19, 2014, 1:26:31 PM10/19/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
We have same problem directly associated to the adhesion coating on your glass.
Find better one, and problem will be resolved to extend of mechanical vibrations on the frame of your printer.

Peter Gregory

Oct 19, 2014, 3:38:39 PM10/19/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
My heated bed will flex a bit when heating.
That may be the cause of your waves.

Vlad O

Oct 19, 2014, 4:03:10 PM10/19/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Also, forgot to mentioned, watch for correct temp for the bed. Too cold, will pilledoff to earlier. Too hot, will tend to compress more first layers, and vertical dimensions would suffer.
It it trick to make open frame printer working stable. Even air conditioner cykling will effect the result.

Observations of the 3d printers market, got me to think, they already reach a stage of the proof. Next - need to make a repeatable and predictable.

On Sunday, October 19, 2014, Peter Gregory <talk...@gmail.com> wrote:
My heated bed will flex a bit when heating.
That may be the cause of your waves.

Isaac Thompson

Oct 19, 2014, 4:44:04 PM10/19/14
to kisslicer-r...@googlegroups.com
Flow rate is too high. In KS, decrease "bed roughness"
This happens to me every single time I set bed roughness too high. It's a combination of too much plastic and not being pressed into the bed hard enough.