drawing on OST for KinkForAll? (was Re: [KinkForAll] KFADEN: anyone have notes on BwO presentation?

2 views
Skip to first unread message

James Sheldon

unread,
Mar 2, 2012, 7:41:36 PM3/2/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
In the open space technology (OST) model, which is what I'm most
familiar with, every session is supposed to have a designated
notetaker which commits to taking notes and editing them and typing
them up... and then all the notes are distributed at the end to all
participants in a "book of proceedings." Maybe it would be worth
stealing that from OST and adopting it for Kink For All...?

For that matter, would anyone be interested in doing a kink-for-all
style gathering specifically using the OST model, as opposed to just a
generic unconference? That's been on my back-burner-agenda for a
while, but I've never really met anyone else familiar with the OST
method to actually sit down with and make it happen and when I
approach people in the community about it there's just a collective
"Huh?!" response.

@James

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Rachel Elizabeth Dillon
<rac...@akrasiac.org> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I wasn't able to make KFADEN since it was a thousand miles away, but I
> was looking over the schedule grid and noticed "Guiltless Sexuality &
> Body Without Organs - Matthew." That sounds really awesome! Did anyone
> take notes they'd be willing to share? Is the presenter maybe here and
> reading? I find the BwO a really useful theoretical concept and would
> love to hear about different approaches to putting it into practice.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -r.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "KinkForAll" group.
> To post to this group, send email to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> kinkforall+...@googlegroups.com
> For more options, visit this group at
> https://groups.google.com/group/kinkforall?hl=en
> Visit and contribute to the KinkForAll wiki at
> http://wiki.KinkForAll.org

--
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@ james sheldon
@ http://www.jamessheldon.com
@ "those who fail to reread
@ are obliged to read the same story everywhere"
@ -- Roland Barthes, S/Z (1970)
@ voyag...@gmail.com
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Rebecca Crane

unread,
Mar 2, 2012, 7:52:48 PM3/2/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 5:41 PM, James Sheldon <voyag...@gmail.com> wrote:

In the open space technology (OST) model, which is what I'm most
familiar with, every session is supposed to have a designated
notetaker which commits to taking notes and editing them and typing
them up... and then all the notes are distributed at the end to all
participants in a "book of proceedings."   Maybe it would be worth
stealing that from OST and adopting it for Kink For All...?


 Hi James! I think the idea of documenting all the sessions at KinkForAll is great. My sense was that this is part of the purpose of trying to video record them all, right?
 

For that matter, would anyone be interested in doing a kink-for-all
style gathering specifically using the OST model, as opposed to just a
generic unconference?   That's been on my back-burner-agenda for a
while, but I've never really met anyone else familiar with the OST
method to actually sit down with and make it happen and when I
approach people in the community about it there's just a collective
"Huh?!" response.


Huh?!
 
Just kidding. ;)
 
Where are you located? Sounds like a fun project.
- R

James Sheldon

unread,
Mar 2, 2012, 8:01:08 PM3/2/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 4:52 PM, Rebecca Crane <rebecc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 5:41 PM, James Sheldon <voyag...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> In the open space technology (OST) model, which is what I'm most
>> familiar with, every session is supposed to have a designated
>> notetaker which commits to taking notes and editing them and typing
>> them up... and then all the notes are distributed at the end to all
>> participants in a "book of proceedings."   Maybe it would be worth
>> stealing that from OST and adopting it for Kink For All...?
>
>
>  Hi James! I think the idea of documenting all the sessions at KinkForAll is
> great. My sense was that this is part of the purpose of trying to video
> record them all, right?

Yeah, but I don't know how often I'd re-watch videos, whereas I turn
to books of proceedings from past open spaces I've been to all the
time whenever i need new ideas or perspectives on what I'm working
on..,

>
>>
>> For that matter, would anyone be interested in doing a kink-for-all
>> style gathering specifically using the OST model, as opposed to just a
>> generic unconference?   That's been on my back-burner-agenda for a
>> while, but I've never really met anyone else familiar with the OST
>> method to actually sit down with and make it happen and when I
>> approach people in the community about it there's just a collective
>> "Huh?!" response.
>
>
> Huh?!
>
> Just kidding. ;)
>
> Where are you located? Sounds like a fun project.

I'm in San Francisco. i assume you're in Denver?

I don't know that a kink open space would look all that different from
a kink for all. In addition to the notetaking and book of proceedings
I imagine that you'd probably have several circles of chairs per room,
longer time slots (maybe hour long), primarily use a discussion form
instead of a presentation form, probably make it two days long instead
of one, and specifically detail the 4 principles and the law of two
feet to participants ...

maymay

unread,
Mar 2, 2012, 8:25:41 PM3/2/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 2, 2012, at 6:01 PM, James Sheldon wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 4:52 PM, Rebecca Crane <rebecc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 5:41 PM, James Sheldon <voyag...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> In the open space technology (OST) model, which is what I'm most
>>> familiar with, every session is supposed to have a designated
>>> notetaker which commits to taking notes and editing them and typing
>>> them up... and then all the notes are distributed at the end to all
>>> participants in a "book of proceedings." Maybe it would be worth
>>> stealing that from OST and adopting it for Kink For All...?
>>
>>
>> Hi James! I think the idea of documenting all the sessions at KinkForAll is
>> great. My sense was that this is part of the purpose of trying to video
>> record them all, right?
>
> Yeah, but I don't know how often I'd re-watch videos, whereas I turn
> to books of proceedings from past open spaces I've been to all the
> time whenever i need new ideas or perspectives on what I'm working
> on..,

James, if that's so, then congratulations, *YOU* are have just "designated" yourself as a notekeeper for the sessions you choose to go to. :) I can't wait to see your notes from sessions! :D

My point is that everyone is welcome to take whatever notes however they want. For instance, I use Twitter as my notepad pretty much 24/7/365. You can view all of my "notes" from KFADEN, for instance, here:

http://status.maymay.net/tag/kfaden/

And here are my notes from KinkForAll Providence 2:

http://status.maymay.net/tag/kfapvd2

You see the pattern? If not, check out the event tags page on the KinkForAll wiki.[0]

So, I really don't see the point of having "a designated notetaker." That's like saying "we should have a designated videographer!" Which sounds great, but we already *have* videographers: they're called participants-with-cameras-who-want-to-be-videographers-and-then-record-something-followed-by-publishing-that-video-for-others-to-view. :)

>>> For that matter, would anyone be interested in doing a kink-for-all
>>> style gathering specifically using the OST model, as opposed to just a
>>> generic unconference? That's been on my back-burner-agenda for a
>>> while, but I've never really met anyone else familiar with the OST
>>> method to actually sit down with and make it happen and when I
>>> approach people in the community about it there's just a collective
>>> "Huh?!" response.
>>
>>
>> Huh?!
>>
>> Just kidding. ;)
>>
>> Where are you located? Sounds like a fun project.
>
> I'm in San Francisco. i assume you're in Denver?
>
> I don't know that a kink open space would look all that different from
> a kink for all. In addition to the notetaking and book of proceedings
> I imagine that you'd probably have several circles of chairs per room,
> longer time slots (maybe hour long), primarily use a discussion form
> instead of a presentation form, probably make it two days long instead
> of one, and specifically detail the 4 principles and the law of two
> feet to participants ...

That sounds great, but that doesn't sound remotely like a KinkForAll at all.[1][2] "Kink Open Space" sounds great, though. The domain is also available:

> $ whois kinkopenspace.com
>
> Whois Server Version 2.0
>
> Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
> with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
> for detailed information.
>
> No match for "KINKOPENSPACE.COM".
> >>> Last update of whois database: Sat, 03 Mar 2012 01:24:00 UTC <<<

You might want to grab it quickly! :D

Cheers,
-maymay
Blog: http://maybemaimed.com
Talk show: http://KinkOnTap.com
Community: http://KinkForAll.org

EXTERNAL REFERENCES:

[0] http://wiki.KinkForAll.org/LocaleAndEventTags
[1] http://wiki.KinkForAll.org/ThePrinciplesOfKinkForAll
[2] http://wiki.KinkForAll.org/TheRulesOfKinkForAll

James Sheldon

unread,
Mar 2, 2012, 8:39:31 PM3/2/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
> That sounds great, but that doesn't sound remotely like a KinkForAll at all.[1][2] "Kink Open Space" sounds great, though. The domain is also available:
>
>> $ whois kinkopenspace.com
>>
>> Whois Server Version 2.0
>>
>> Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
>> with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
>> for detailed information.
>>
>> No match for "KINKOPENSPACE.COM".
>> >>> Last update of whois database: Sat, 03 Mar 2012 01:24:00 UTC <<<
>
> You might want to grab it quickly! :D

Yeah, I'm sure people are rushing to grab that domain name ;)

Anyways, I'm just throwing it out there to see if anyone else was
familiar with that method and interested in organizing something.

James Sheldon

unread,
Mar 2, 2012, 8:48:53 PM3/2/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 5:39 PM, James Sheldon <voyag...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> That sounds great, but that doesn't sound remotely like a KinkForAll at all.[1][2] "Kink Open Space" sounds great, though. The domain is also available:
>>
>>> $ whois kinkopenspace.com
>>>
>>> Whois Server Version 2.0
>>>
>>> Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
>>> with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
>>> for detailed information.
>>>
>>> No match for "KINKOPENSPACE.COM".
>>> >>> Last update of whois database: Sat, 03 Mar 2012 01:24:00 UTC <<<
>>
>> You might want to grab it quickly! :D
>
> Yeah, I'm sure people are rushing to grab that domain name ;)
>
> Anyways, I'm just throwing it out there to see if anyone else was
> familiar with that method and interested in organizing something.

... and am asking here because there's a lot of similarities between
an unconference and an open space and imagine that the kind of people
who are interested in unconferences might be interested in open
spaces... and vice versa :-)

It seems a little silly of me to rush off and reserve my own domain
name and google group before first seeing if there's any interest...

RagingAmazon

unread,
Mar 2, 2012, 8:53:24 PM3/2/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Hi James,

Interesting idea.  I'm actually also in SF and as you may recall I pinged the list a few weeks ago because I'm interested in putting something together in SF.

The ad-hoc open source nature of KinkForAll's structure is the most exciting piece for me though.  Twenty minute slots allow people to decide if they want to present last minute, allow for more presenters in the available time/space, and keep the conversations casual.  I am hoping to create something that has just bare bones structure and borrows heavily from hacker ethos. 

I'm totally swamped right now, but maybe we can touch base in a couple of weeks, grab a coffee and chat?  If you want to test out some OST methodology at a KinkForAll or lead a session on it I'd love to learn more.

Best,
Alisa




"'You know zat another term for an icongrapher would be 'photographer?'  From the old word Photus in Latation, vhich means--' 'To prance around like an idiot ordering everyone about as if you owened the place.'" ~ Pratchett; the Truth


Sable Schultz

unread,
Mar 2, 2012, 8:54:18 PM3/2/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Points for why note takers might be worthwhile:

Not everyone has or wishes to have access to Twitter.  I personally find Twitter unwieldy at times, and it does not yield itself to causal review.

Some people my have hearing impairments which make reviewing videos problematic.  In fact, I know of one KFADen participant who has expressed this to me post conference.  For this person, the videos are inaccessible because of feedback and low sound quality.

Additionally, at least one KFADen session had problems with streaming.  Relying exclusively on streaming and recording technology seems to be a flawed model.

Finally, having notes or transcription open up a greater possibility of having session translated into other languages for those people whose primary language is something besides English.

sable twilight
"Just on the border, Of your waking mind, There lies, Another plain, Where darkness and light are one, And as you tread the halls of sanity, You feel so glad to be, Unable to go beyond, I have a message, From another time..."
-ELO "Prologue" Time


maymay

unread,
Mar 2, 2012, 9:17:18 PM3/2/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 2, 2012, at 6:54 PM, Sable Schultz wrote:

> Points for why note takers might be worthwhile:
>
> Not everyone has or wishes to have access to Twitter. I personally find Twitter unwieldy at times, and it does not yield itself to causal review.
>
> Some people my have hearing impairments which make reviewing videos problematic. In fact, I know of one KFADen participant who has expressed this to me post conference. For this person, the videos are inaccessible because of feedback and low sound quality.

These are great points, Sable. Did you take any notes during KFADEN? If so, please publish them somewhere so we can link to them from the KFADEN schedule grid![0] :D That'd be *so awesome.* I imagine if both you and James were at a KinkForAll unconference, we'd have so many notes we wouldn't know what to do with them. I can't wait to have *that* problem—and I don't think we need to "designate" people as notekeepers as long as participants actually *take notes at the sessions they're in* in order to give us that problem. Do you? If so, why?

Also, I know Rebecca made efforts to find ASL interpreters as well as spoken language translators for KFADEN,[1] but it seems like that simply didn't pan out. I think this is a good reason to make efforts to get more people involved in KinkForAll who are familiar with the effects of audism[2] for future events.

When I was at the Public Anthropology Conference (PAC) last year,[3] I met a badass group of women[4] who I could reach out for help on this front. I am simply *utterly swamped* with other work right now, but if you or someone else would be willing to talk to them about helping us make KinkForAll unconferences more accessible for people with aural impairments, I'm more than happy to make email introductions. Just ask.

Also, FWIW, I'd particularly enjoy sitting in another session lead by these women; they were *brilliant* at PAC2011.[5] :)

> Additionally, at least one KFADen session had problems with streaming.

Yup, we're imperfect! If only we had more people with laptops willing and able to set up backup streams and the like, maybe we wouldn't have lost bits of some sessions…. ;)

> Relying exclusively on streaming and recording technology seems to be a flawed model.

Uhm. We're *not* "relying exclusively" on streaming. Where did you get that impression?

> Finally, having notes or transcription open up a greater possibility of having session translated into other languages for those people whose primary language is something besides English.
>
> sable twilight
> "Just on the border, Of your waking mind, There lies, Another plain, Where darkness and light are one, And as you tread the halls of sanity, You feel so glad to be, Unable to go beyond, I have a message, From another time..."
> -ELO "Prologue" Time

That sounds great, Sable! Would you be willing to help me transcribe the many KFADEN videos? We can move copies of the videos on Ustream to YouTube, which allows to add closed-captioning and subtitles to our videos.[6]

To date, I think only videos of some of my presentations are transcribed[7][8][9] and that's only because I actually put the work into transcribing the presentations, myself. If you know of anyone else who is willing to host transcriptions or translations on their blogs and so on, let me know. When they're up, we can link to them, as well.

Yay for putting more work into accessibility! =)

Cheers,
-maymay
Blog: http://maybemaimed.com
Talk show: http://KinkOnTap.com
Community: http://KinkForAll.org

EXTERNAL REFERENCES:

[0] http://wiki.KinkForAll.org/KinkForAllDenverSchedule
[1] https://groups.google.com/group/kinkforall/browse_thread/thread/74cd8fcabb3f2858#msg_854dc305110afe54
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audism
[3] http://maybemaimed.com/2011/10/16/dreaming-of-compassion-technology-polyamory-and-social-justice-public-anthropology-conference-2011/
[4] http://status.maymay.net/notice/26377
[5] http://status.maymay.net/tag/pac2011
[6] https://www.youtube.com/t/captions_about
[7] http://maybemaimed.com/2009/11/23/sexual-adultism-at-kinkforall-washington-dc/
[8] http://maybemaimed.com/2010/02/08/on-dichotomies/
[9] http://maybemaimed.com/2009/09/14/freeing-sexuality-information/

James Sheldon

unread,
Mar 2, 2012, 9:34:45 PM3/2/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com

Sure, id love to talk more with you... Im busy too, so let's get something on the calendar...

Im not sure OST is necessarily "more structured" than an unconference...it's just different.   Its like trying to decide if the BSD or GPL license is "more free...."

In OST the first hour is reserved for the group to brainstorm and develop a schedule of sessions...so there's no advance signups or announcement of topics and people show up and come up with ideas, announce them to the group, and post them on the schedule grid organically.  

Because its generally discussion based sessions rather than presentations, you need a significant chunk of time per session (at least an hour) so you can really get in depth into a topic.   You'd want to make sure you had enough space so that everyone could hold what they wanted to without having to compete for rooms (or corners-of-rooms, or what not).   Anyone who wants to convene something at a given time should be able to, and worst case scenario no one shows up for it and they have a fabulous moment of solitude to journal their ideas and publish them in the book of proceedings.    Also, people are encouraged to move between discussions or go off on their own to think, so there's no requirement to stay for the hour, nor must the session last the full length...

On Mar 2, 2012 5:53 PM, "RagingAmazon" <raging...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sarah Taub

unread,
Mar 2, 2012, 11:30:55 PM3/2/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Hi maymay,

> When I was at the Public Anthropology Conference (PAC) last year,[3] I met
> a badass group of women[4] who I could reach out for help on this front. I
> am simply *utterly swamped* with other work right now, but if you or
> someone else would be willing to talk to them about helping us make
> KinkForAll unconferences more accessible for people with aural
> impairments, I'm more than happy to make email introductions. Just ask.

Can you put me in touch with these folks? I taught for 9 years at Gallaudet
University and am fluent in ASL though not an interpreter.

And James, my co-organizers and I in Network for a New Culture have used an
adapted version of OST for many years to quickly set up a group-generated
slate of events. See www.nfnc.org/sc for links to our gatherings. We don't
have notetakers and report-backs because our "open sessions" periods
generally are not deliberative and don't have a single theme. Instead, our
open sessions tend to be a mix of experiential activities (e.g. dance,
meditation, going for a walk together), discussions, skillshares/trainings,
and/or whatever anyone wants to do. I'd be happy to talk more about this
with you and others.

FYI I am located in Washington, DC and have helped publicize local KFA
events.

warm wishes, Sarah

maymay

unread,
Mar 3, 2012, 12:28:34 AM3/3/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 2, 2012, at 9:30 PM, Sarah Taub wrote:

> Hi maymay,
>
>> When I was at the Public Anthropology Conference (PAC) last year,[3] I met
>> a badass group of women[4] who I could reach out for help on this front. I
>> am simply *utterly swamped* with other work right now, but if you or
>> someone else would be willing to talk to them about helping us make
>> KinkForAll unconferences more accessible for people with aural
>> impairments, I'm more than happy to make email introductions. Just ask.
>
> Can you put me in touch with these folks?

*AOL voice.* You've got mail![0] :)

Also, for anyone else interested in following up, their website is:

http://AudismFreeAmerica.blogspot.com.

Good luck to you in your collaborations, Sarah!

Cheers,
-maymay
Blog: http://maybemaimed.com
Talk show: http://KinkOnTap.com
Community: http://KinkForAll.org

EXTERNAL REFERENCES:

[0] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFBLiHpkcOk

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages