KFAD/B: Denver Unorganizational Gathering - 12/04

Rebecca

Dec 6, 2011, 6:25:08 PM12/6/11
to KinkForAll
Here are the notes from our first gathering. I'm yoinking maymay's
footnote-reference style for my own annotations. ;-)

Kink for All Denver meeting 12/4/11

* Notes are for transparency.[0]

* At this meeting: Dakota, Kevin, Lesley, Savy, Jason, Mabel, Schwa,
Maya, Rebecca

* Rebecca describes basic components of structure for "un-
conference," (a convergence perhaps?) - open, accessible, free, starts
on Day 1 with empty calendar grid for people to write times and topics
for different discussions. Any topic, open to interpretation, related
to sex, kink, etc. Welcome. Non-hierarchical, decentralized - takes
away the common power dynamic of "experts" over "students". What was
exciting to Rebecca and Dakota about the idea. Basic principles.

* Idea: Connect with Kink Tank folks and find out if that's still
happening.[1]
- Similar philosophy to Kink for All
- Maya's roommate was an original organizer

* Timing: Aiming for Spring '12 for first actual convergence.
- Maybe weekend long, one day in Boulder, one day in Denver?
- Maybe planned to coincide with Damn Gurl?![2] Talk to organizers
Israel and Lauren to see preference for collaboration, hyping KFA
through DG [and vice versa] while avoiding scheduling conflicts that
could increase participation.

* Venue: Needs/desires/concerns - public-ish, central-ish, wi-fi,
child care, acessible

** Possible venue: Auraria Campus
- easy to get spaces reserved for free via student groups - Savy knows
lots
- Rebecca knows an administrator who might be able to help us out
- Good location
- Good accessibility
- Colleges can sometimes provide interpreters, translators
- Seems friendly. Hosted three days of Bash Back! a few years ago, no
problems.
- Try coordinating with GSA, GLBTSS
- College campuses are a good option, but they can feel exclusionary/
uncomfortable/intimidating to some people and communities. Maybe a
fallback, not a first choice.

** Possible venue: CU Campus, Boulder
- Similar pros/cons to Auraria campus
- Try coordinating with CUGLBTRC, Queer Liberation, 180-11<--- Maya
has contacts

** Possible venue: Denver Public Library

** Possible venue: Parks
- Too cold!
- WiFi issues

** Possible venue: Flobots Community Center[3]
- Good location
- Above the Meadowlark bar, might be good for post-unconference
socializing
- Meeting space is accessible, bar may not be
- Sometimes expensive to rent. Lesley might be able to hook us up.

** Possible venue: COLOR Latina[4]
- Maya says they have an awesome space, four rooms branching off a
centralized kitchen
- Good group to connect with in any case.

* Flyers and other design stuff
- Savy wants to make some
- Do we have to wait until we have a date/venue to start designing?
No.

* Inclusivity
- Not English-language-exclusive
- Wheelchair accessible
- Interpreters available
--- Incite Boulder posted a list of interpreters they used on Twitter,
might contact some of them
- Reaching out not to just a bunch of white-dominated groups
--- This gets tough. Important not to tokenize. Careful not to hyper-
sexualize/exotify particular ethnic groups.
- Childcare
--- Concerns about reliability, experience
--- Denver Anarchist Black Cross has a childcare collective, Nurturing
Liberation, might be into participating

* Outreach ideas:
- COLOR Latina
- Denver Hackerspace
- SPAN (Safehouse Progressive Alliance for Non-Violence)
- Matt Brown and Glenda Walden (sociology of sexuality profs at CU
Boulder)
- Colorado Anti-Violence Program - LGBTQ anti-violence org
--- Branching Seedz of Resistance is their youth program, good
resource for youth inclusivity stuff
- Center for Sex-Positive Culture, Boulder
- We have connections to some of these groups. Rebecca willing to try
and make connections with some others (e.g. COLOR, DenHac), visit
their spaces, by would love to have others come with her. [I'm shy!]
Maya willing to go.
- Discussion of ways Freeschool has struggled to outreach outside of
own social enclaves/circles of friends and acquaintances

* Rebecca got everyone's contact info. Will send info about how to
join mailing list.

[0] Notes by Mabel. Thanks!
[1] Kink Tank was/is a group that met bi-weekly via the Freeschool to
discuss a wide variety of topics around kink and liberatory sex.
[2] Damn Gurl is a radical queer warehouse dance party that happens
once a month in Denver: http://www.facebook.com/pages/DAMN-GURL/200044160024599
[3] http://www.flobots.org/home/community-space/ - Website seems to
suggest they're not currently available for events
[4] Colorado Organization for Latina Opportunity and Reproductive
Rights - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Colorado-Organization-for-Latina-Opportunity-and-Reproductive-Rights/138413239528506

maymay

Dec 6, 2011, 7:32:25 PM12/6/11
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Dec 6, 2011, at 3:25 PM, Rebecca <rebecc...@gmail.com> wrote:

Here are the notes from our first gathering. I'm yoinking maymay's
footnote-reference style for my own annotations. ;-)

Kink for All Denver meeting 12/4/11

* Notes are for transparency.[0]

Aweeessssooommmeeeee! :)

* Flyers and other design stuff
- Savy wants to make some

If you haven't yet seen it, be sure to check out the archive of free design templates we've already created:

Please share with Savy so they have a jumping off point or inspiration from our history if they want, too. :)

Cheers,
-M
(Terse email sent from my iPod.)

Rebecca

Dec 7, 2011, 12:20:31 AM12/7/11
to KinkForAll
Thanks, maymay! Fwd'ing this to Savy since she's not on the mailing
list yet. :-)

Rebecca

Dec 7, 2011, 12:43:40 AM12/7/11
to KinkForAll
Oops, forgot to mention in intial notes:

* Maya and Schwa also suggested co-ordinating with Liberate Denver.
(Anti-oppression and direct-action oriented offshoot of Occupy
Denver.) They are working on finding a space, might be interested in
hosting KFA if they're able, and are a good, diverse, dedicated,
resourced group of folks to draw on regardless.)