Now crashes 100% when trying to play

Christian Altenbach

May 7, 2022, 1:32:54 PM (9 days ago) May 7
to jwtc
Had the android app installed for years and it always worked great.

Not sure what recent update caused the problem, but it now crashes 100% of the time when I click on "play" (and some (but not all) of the other menu entries).

App was updated May 1, 2022. (There was also a security update on the phone)

Uninstalled, reinstalled. same problem!

Moto edge (2020 version), fully updated. Android 11.

Could be a permission problem. Only option is now to "allow access to media only", but the play store entry says that it may request access to shared storage. How can I extend permissions to have full access again, if that's the problem.

Christian Altenbach

May 7, 2022, 3:23:57 PM (9 days ago) May 7
to jwtc
Today was another update (May 7, 2022, to version 8.9.11)

Still the exact same problem: Crashes when clicking "play" or "puzzles". e.g. "practice" works fine.

Jeroen

May 8, 2022, 2:08:06 AM (8 days ago) May 8
to jwtc
Not able to reproduce. Maybe deleting the application data helps. Puzzles and practice are almost the same, so it is hard to imagine what causes the crash.

Christian Altenbach

May 8, 2022, 10:53:39 AM (8 days ago) May 8
to jwtc

Thanks for reading and looking into this. Yes it is a complete mystery,  just putting it out there to see if others see the same things now.

First thing I tried was deleting all the application data. No change. Then completely uninstalled and reinstalled.  Even rebooted phone.

As I said, there was also a security update on May 5, 2022, (bringing it up to April 1, 2022). Maybe that one is botched and is causing the problem. Not sure who to contact about that.

Well, I keep sending full crash reports occasionally, so hopefully somebody will look into it once a pattern shows.

Thanks!
Christian

Jeroen

May 10, 2022, 2:45:44 PM (6 days ago) May 10
to jwtc
If you want, i can make you an "internal tester" of the app, so you can install the latest version.
I saw some crash reports which are unclear on what causes the crash, but some others seem fixable.

Christian Altenbach

May 13, 2022, 12:34:55 PM (3 days ago) May 13
to jwtc
Thanks. Tried again today. Still broken.
  • (1) "Play", (2) "Play online", (3) "Puzzles" immediately crash the app.
  • All other menu items (incl. "Practice") work fine.
Everything still works fine on my old phone (different model). I am 99% sure it was the security update mentioned earlier.

I would be happy to test anything of course, so please add me to the testers if you think it might help.
(I have significant experience and have been beta testing software for 20+ years for several companies.)

Christian

Jeroen

May 14, 2022, 5:21:48 AM (2 days ago) May 14
to jwtc
I have just uploaded 8.9.14 to the Play store (can take a while before it's available).
It contains a few "fixes in the dark" which may help prevent a crash. Still trying to figure out why "practice" works, but "puzzle"  crashes - can you confirm or did i misinterpret that?

Christian Altenbach

May 14, 2022, 10:27:50 AM (2 days ago) May 14
to jwtc

Yes, it is strange that "practice" still works, but it really does, even if I "solve" one. No problem there!

chess.png

"Play", "Play online" and "puzzles" instantly go to the desktop and If I try again I get the "Chess keeps stopping" popup, allowing me to report or close.

Currently on 8.9.11. I will test the new version once it is available. (not yet)

(I've been using this program forever. Just noticed that I reviewed in in 2010 :D )