Now crashes 100% when trying to play

Christian Altenbach

May 7, 2022, 1:32:54 PM5/7/22
to jwtc
Had the android app installed for years and it always worked great.

Not sure what recent update caused the problem, but it now crashes 100% of the time when I click on "play" (and some (but not all) of the other menu entries).

App was updated May 1, 2022. (There was also a security update on the phone)

Uninstalled, reinstalled. same problem!

Moto edge (2020 version), fully updated. Android 11.

Could be a permission problem. Only option is now to "allow access to media only", but the play store entry says that it may request access to shared storage. How can I extend permissions to have full access again, if that's the problem.

Christian Altenbach

May 7, 2022, 3:23:57 PM5/7/22
to jwtc
Today was another update (May 7, 2022, to version 8.9.11)

Still the exact same problem: Crashes when clicking "play" or "puzzles". e.g. "practice" works fine.

Jeroen

May 8, 2022, 2:08:06 AM5/8/22
to jwtc
Not able to reproduce. Maybe deleting the application data helps. Puzzles and practice are almost the same, so it is hard to imagine what causes the crash.

Christian Altenbach

May 8, 2022, 10:53:39 AM5/8/22
to jwtc

Thanks for reading and looking into this. Yes it is a complete mystery,  just putting it out there to see if others see the same things now.

First thing I tried was deleting all the application data. No change. Then completely uninstalled and reinstalled.  Even rebooted phone.

As I said, there was also a security update on May 5, 2022, (bringing it up to April 1, 2022). Maybe that one is botched and is causing the problem. Not sure who to contact about that.

Well, I keep sending full crash reports occasionally, so hopefully somebody will look into it once a pattern shows.

Thanks!
Christian

Jeroen

May 10, 2022, 2:45:44 PM5/10/22
to jwtc
If you want, i can make you an "internal tester" of the app, so you can install the latest version.
I saw some crash reports which are unclear on what causes the crash, but some others seem fixable.

Christian Altenbach

May 13, 2022, 12:34:55 PM5/13/22
to jwtc
Thanks. Tried again today. Still broken.
  • (1) "Play", (2) "Play online", (3) "Puzzles" immediately crash the app.
  • All other menu items (incl. "Practice") work fine.
Everything still works fine on my old phone (different model). I am 99% sure it was the security update mentioned earlier.

I would be happy to test anything of course, so please add me to the testers if you think it might help.
(I have significant experience and have been beta testing software for 20+ years for several companies.)

Christian

Jeroen

May 14, 2022, 5:21:48 AM5/14/22
to jwtc
I have just uploaded 8.9.14 to the Play store (can take a while before it's available).
It contains a few "fixes in the dark" which may help prevent a crash. Still trying to figure out why "practice" works, but "puzzle"  crashes - can you confirm or did i misinterpret that?

Christian Altenbach

May 14, 2022, 10:27:50 AM5/14/22
to jwtc

Yes, it is strange that "practice" still works, but it really does, even if I "solve" one. No problem there!

chess.png

"Play", "Play online" and "puzzles" instantly go to the desktop and If I try again I get the "Chess keeps stopping" popup, allowing me to report or close.

Currently on 8.9.11. I will test the new version once it is available. (not yet)

(I've been using this program forever. Just noticed that I reviewed in in 2010 :D )

Christian Altenbach

May 17, 2022, 7:09:26 PM5/17/22
to jw...@googlegroups.com
This morning it updated to 8.9.14 and it no longer crashes!!!

(Issue seems fixed and I'll report back if anything changes, once I test more throughly)

Thank you so much!

Christian

--

---

Jeroen

Jul 23, 2022, 11:34:14 AM7/23/22
to jwtc
Hi Christian,

Since you are a long time user, I would like to ask your opinion on the latest release (updated today).

Christian Altenbach

Jul 24, 2022, 4:54:17 PM7/24/22
to jwtc
Thanks! It updated late last night and I just had a chance to play a game (Version 9.0.0).

First: It does not crash, so whatever that last fix was long ago has endured. :D

Initial comments:
  • This is certainly a major overhaul and I do like the simplifications of the UI and the extra hints (captured pieces always visible. overlays for check, checkmate, etc. right on the relevant piece). I also like that the "new game" no longer asks for play settings, but simply starts a new game.
  • I don't use the visibility buttons, but they are quite dominant.
  • Pieces are quite a bit busier in terms of graphics. Now sure how they look on a low resolution screens.
  • There seem to be some minor graphical bugs, for example of I select "new game" after having played, two (random?) fields in the black camp are highlighted for no obvious reason. (see picture below.)
  • It only works in portrait mode (maybe that's intentional?)
  • Lots of wasted space at the bottom.
  • Practice: the [>] button should be grayed until solved, because it does not do anything until then.
  • Did the engine change?  ( ...or maybe opening book missing?) AI feels quite different, but maybe its just my imagination.
  • Have not tested any of the items in the "advanced" option menu.
  • Have not tested online mode. I don't use that.
Let me know if anything is not clear.
Christian

chess.png

Jeroen Carolus

Jul 29, 2022, 9:10:36 AM7/29/22
to jw...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for testing and your feedback, it's much appreciated.

--

---