9/13: Potluck & Worship / 9/27: Discussion Circle / Other Quaker happenings

Judy Goldberger

Sep 4, 2009, 1:26:27 PM9/4/09
to JP Quakers
"There is a living God at the center of all, who is available to each of us, a Present Teacher at the very heart of our lives. We seek as a people of God to be worthy vessels to deliver the Lord's transforming word, to be prophets of joy who know from experience and can testify to the world, as George Fox did, 'that the Lord God is at work in this thick night.' Our priority is to be receptive and responsive to the live-giving" Word of God, whether it comes through the written Word - the Scriptures; the Incarnate Word - Jesus Christ; the Corporate Word - as discerned by the gathered meeting; or the Inward Word of God in our hearts which is available to each of us who seek the Truth."
             -- Epistle of the World Gathering of Young Friends,
Greensboro, North Carolina, 1985
Greetings, Friends!

The next community potluck and meeting for worship of Jamaica Plain Quakers  is Sunday, September 13th.  Potluck supper is at 5 p.m., followed by Quaker meeting for worship at 6 p.m. For an introduction to Quaker Meeting for Worship, click here. The trailer has microwaves but no conventional oven, so if you bring a potluck dish that needs reheating, please make sure it's in a microwave-safe container.

We will continue to meet for discussion, learning, and reflection on the fourth Sunday of the month. Greg will continue to lead us and will send more information as the day draws closer. We meet next on Sunday, September 27th from 5 to 7 p.m. Light refreshments will be provided.

Jamaica Plain Quakers meets in the trailer that houses the First Baptist Church in Jamaica Plain at 633 Centre Street at Myrtle Street, across from the post office in JP Center. The trailer and bathroom are wheelchair accessible.

Other Quaker Happenings

Explore Quaker Faith and Life: The Quaker Studies Program offers low-cost courses and workshops in the greater Boston area, including two upcoming programs led by our Greg Williams. Fall offerings include a one-day program Saturday, October 17, From Convincement to Community: Being and Becoming Friends and a discussion Monday, October 12 on our response to immigration, What Should Columbus Day Mean to Quakers? For a full course listing, and to register, visit  the Quaker Studies Program homepage.

Build Your Conflict Intervention Skills: Quakers in the greater Boston area are hosting training sessions through the international secular organization, Nonviolent Peaceforce, Saturday September 12 or Friday September 26 at Friends Meeting at Cambridge in Harvard Square. For more information, call Minga Claggett-Borne, 617-354-3808. To register ($45), contact Judy King as soon as possible, 617-876-5485 or jrk1956 [at] comcast.net.

JP Quakers meet on the second and fourth Sundays of every month. Our following scheduled meetings are Sunday, October 11th (for potluck and worship) and Sunday, October 25th (for nonviolence study and reflection). In the meantime,

May you be richly blessed!
Judy Goldberger
jpquakers [at] bhfm.org

"Look among the nations and see; wonder and be astounded. For I am doing a work in your days that you would not believe if told." (Habakkuk 1:5)