1/10 Community Potluck & Other News

Judy Goldberger

Jan 1, 2010, 5:04:18 PM1/1/10
to JP Quakers
"Sanctuary is a perennial task for any people that covenants to serve the Peaceable Kingdom. We Quakers are among the lastborn of the Covenant peoples, yet we, too, gather in Sinai's stillness and hear ourselves instructed to become a people that hallows the earth. All about us, we see that humanity has not yet been fully created into the communion that is an image of the Holy; many among us are violated. And, meeting in Sinai's stillness, we also hear this: The communion that unites us IS sanctuary to the violated. Through the corporate practice of love and service, we are to enter into the full community with the violated that heals humanity into one body."
             -- Jim Corbett, 1986
Growing Into Beloved Community

Surendra Dangoi, the 39 year old Tedeschi store clerk who was slain December 26th just blocks from where we worship, came alone to the US from Nepal 6 years ago to work for a better life for his wife and now 9 year old daughter. I seek to hold the family ever more perfectly in the light, even hold the soul of the assailant who murdered him, hold the millions of families separated by the violence of poverty, and those of us who live in affluence. As we enter the new year and new decade, through our prayers, words, and deeds, may we grow into fuller community with the violated, the community that heals humanity into one body.

Note: A fund has been set up for the family at the Jamaica Plain branch of Citizens Bank, 696 Centre Street (617 522 1611).

Monthly Community Potluck

No need to be a long-time attender or a virtuoso cook - our table is an open one. So break bread with us at our next Jamaica Plain Quakers community potluck and meeting for worship Sunday, January 10thPotluck supper is at 5 p.m., followed by Quaker meeting for worship at 6 p.m. For an introduction to Quaker Meeting for Worship, click here. Feel free to bring a friend! The trailer has microwaves but no conventional oven, so if you bring a potluck dish that needs reheating, please make sure it's in a microwave-safe container.

Celebration!

First Baptist Church in Jamaica Plain invites us to celebrate with them as they (and we) leave the trailer and return to their church building, Sunday, January 17th, on the fifth anniversary of the fire. A ribbon cutting will be held at 3 p.m., followed by open church and refreshments from 4 to 6 p.m.

JP Quaker Basics

JP Quakers meets on the second and fourth Sundays of the month. On the fourth Sunday, we meet for a nonviolence discussion circle from 5 to 7 p.m. over light refreshments. This month, we will meet Sunday, January 24th.

In our unfolding experiment, we are now on Facebook! If you are already a Facebook member, become a fan and spread the word.

Jamaica Plain Quakers, a worship group under the care of Beacon Hill Friends Meeting, meets at First Baptist Church in Jamaica Plain, 633 Centre Street at Myrtle Street, across from the post office in JP Center (directions at www.firstbaptistjp.org). The temporary trailer and bathroom (and the newly renovated church building) are wheelchair accessible.

In the meantime,

May you be richly blessed!
Judy Goldberger
jpquakers [at] bhfm.org

“Next to being the children of God our greatest privilege is being the brothers of each other.”  —Martin Buber