3/28: Rooted in Love and Community - Worship and Discernment

Judy Goldberger

Mar 18, 2010, 4:19:02 PM3/18/10
to JP Quakers
"Love is God's Name. Love is God's Nature.Love is God's life."
-- Sarah Blackborrow, 1658

Rooted In Love

Over the past year, we have devoted our "fourth Sunday" meetings to the learning and practice of nonviolence in our community. Greg, our leader in this seeking together, will no longer be able to meet with us. Sunday, March 28th, from 5-7 p.m., we will meet in worship and discernment over light refreshments. How can we use this "fourth Sunday" in the year ahead to better put our faith into practice? Bring your ideas and a snack or beverage to share.

For an introduction to Quaker Meeting for Worship, click here. Feel free to bring a friend!

Growing into Beloved Community

Our JP neighbors, tenants at 110 and 108 McBride Street, were the victims of a devastating fire on Monday, March 15 that left them homeless and without their most basic possessions. Neighbors for Neighbors JP is bringing together community members to assist them in getting their lives back together by collecting over the next two weeks donations of gently used or new household items, gift cards and/or money for gift cards. For more information, visit Neighbors for Neighbors JP.

Other Boston Quaker Happenings

Wednesday, March 24 at 7:30 p.m. at the Beacon Hill Friends House,  Greg Williams will lead a reflection on the lives of Monsignor Oscar Romero, Rev. James Reeb, and Quaker Tom Fox. Out of a deep understanding of their faith and God's call, these three men engaged in prophetic, nonviolent work for justice, even in dangerous times and places. We commemorate the anniversaries of their deaths this month, and listen for God's call for us today. For more information, contact Greg Williams at gcw2849 [at] yahoo.com.

JP Quaker Basics

JP Quakers meets on the second and fourth Sundays of the month. On the second Sunday, we break bread together in potluck, and gather for worship. Our next meeting is Sunday, April 11th.

In our unfolding experiment, we are now on Facebook! If you are already a Facebook member, become a fan and spread the word.

Jamaica Plain Quakers, a worship group under the care of Beacon Hill Friends Meeting, meets at First Baptist Church in Jamaica Plain, 633 Centre Street at Myrtle Street, across from the post office in JP Center (directions at www.firstbaptistjp.org). The newly renovated church (including the bathroom) is wheelchair accessible.

In the meantime,

May you be richly blessed!
Judy Goldberger
jpquakers [at] bhfm.org