1/24 @ 5 PM: Quakers as Liberation Mystics

Judy Goldberger

Jan 21, 2010, 10:51:57 AM1/21/10
to JP Quakers
"Love of God and love of neighbor are not two commandments, but one. It is the highest experience of the mystic, when the soul of man is known to be one with God himself, ... that worldshaking consciousness of mankind in need arises in one and he knows himself to be the channel of Divine Life."
- Thomas Kelly, 1966, The Eternal Promise

What does it mean to engage the world in justice, rooted deeply in Spirit? Bring your questions, experiences, hopes, and and open heart to our monthly nonviolence discussion circle, this coming Sunday, January 24th at 5 p.m. Light refreshments will be served.
This is our first meeting in the newly renovated First Baptist Church (no more trailer!).

Growing Into Beloved Community

Boston is home to the third largest Haitian immigrant community in the United States. First Baptist Church is also home to a Haitian Baptist Congregation, Eglise Baptiste Pierre Angulaire (Peter the Cornerstone). I have been in touch with Pastor Daniel Auguste. To stretch out an arm of support, we will collect contributions this week in support of families of members of this congregation.

I encourage you to support or become involved in the ongoing aid efforts, and also to learn about Haiti's history which has contributed to the devastation she is suffering.

May you be richly blessed!
Judy Goldberger
jpquakers [at] bhfm.org

“Next to being the children of God our greatest privilege is being the brothers of each other.”  —Martin Buber

JP Quaker Basics

JP Quakers meets on the second and fourth Sundays of the month. On the second Sunday, we meet for potluck at 5 p.m., followed by meeting for worship at 6 p.m. On the fourth Sunday, we meet for a nonviolence discussion circle from 5 to 7 p.m. over light refreshments.

In our unfolding experiment, we are now on Facebook! If you are already a Facebook member, become a fan and spread the word.

Jamaica Plain Quakers, a worship group under the care of Beacon Hill Friends Meeting, meets at First Baptist Church in Jamaica Plain, 633 Centre Street at Myrtle Street, across from the post office in JP Center (directions at www.firstbaptistjp.org). The newly renovated church building is wheelchair accessible.