Clarification: Next Steps on ** 5/24! **

Judy Goldberger

May 16, 2009, 5:48:38 AM5/16/09
to JP Quakers
"As for the future, your task is not to foresee, but
to enable it. It is not for us to stalk the vision,
the vision is stalking us."
         - a Native American saying

Friends,

Several months ago, a group of us gathered relating ourselves to Jamaica Plain Quakers and had a lively discussion around Urban Violence and Youth. It was clear that we were interested in engaging this issue in a Quaker context. There was also a sense that gathering once a month.... was not enough. If we were serious about an Urban Neighborhood Quaker Meeting, our gathering once a month was not enough. We agreed to add a second Sunday to our schedule and reflect for a while on Nonviolence.

We are about to enter a new phase: starting an action work project with teenagers and young adults. Our work will be related to ending urban violence and providing a positive Nonviolent Urban Quaker Model. We need a team of folks committed to developing an ongoing project with deep roots in the community.

It makes sense to do this, to move forward, if we are serious about building and sustaining an active Quaker presence and Meeting in Jamaica Plain. Jamaica Plain Quakers have been around for several years as a once a month gathering for a Potluck Meal and Worship. Do we want to do More? Should we?

There is interest and excitement, but can we sustain a longterm "church planting"? Are there enough Friends and Attenders willing to commit to a radical progressive Meeting Vision? There are program and Financial considerations to be taken seriously if we do.
We invite Friends who want to consider this path to join us for our next 4th Sunday nonviolence discussion circles over pizza, May 24, 2009 at 5 p.m.. (Yes, this is Memorial Day weekend.) We hope to have Adam Mazo, a film maker working on Nonviolence Projects, join us as a special guest. If you can't make it, but want to be a part of this, let Greg or Judy know.

You don't need to feel you know how to do this to join us. We are growing a community where people can learn how to do this together. What we need are commitment, openness, and willness to stretch.

Peace and hope,

Greg Williams

Judy Goldberger

"And so living in the light and truth ye may answer the light and truth in every man and woman".
     - George Fox