Walk with Us!

Judy Goldberger

Nov 1, 2009, 7:06:55 PM11/1/09
to JP Quakers
"This [prophetic imagination] is the capacity to see what is yet possible under the power of God rather than yielding to cynicism and despair or to a status quo, which is death warmed over. It is the capacity to know deeply that seeing the possibility of reconciliation  and of restoration is not merely lofty idealism or wishful thinking. ... It is Jeremiah buying a field while he is in prison and the Babylonians are conquering his homeland, including the field. Someday people will once again buy fields and plant and harvest in this land, he says (Jeremiah 32). ... It is to hold out the real possibility that the future of our lives in the real world need not be bound by the patterns and failures of the past, but that it can be creatively ordered and empowered by the sovereign God who is with us in love."
             -- Howard R. Macy, 1996
Walk With Us!

Over the past few years, Jamaica Plain Quakers have sought to deepen our understanding  and engagement with God's ways of peace and the urban home in which we find ourselves. We held a youth peace essay contest to listen to and raise up the voices of young people. We co-sponsored a presentation by Getry Avizah to learn about the work of Kenyan Quakers to promote grassroots reconciliation after violence, and gathered in a summer Freedom School. We stood in vigil, listening, and witness for peace on our streets.

This is work that is deepest in community, and community is deepened by commitment and engagement. If our work speaks to a yearning in your heart, come walk with us!

Monthly Community Potluck

The next community potluck and meeting for worship of Jamaica Plain Quakers  is this coming Sunday, November 8th.  Potluck supper is at 5 p.m., followed by Quaker meeting for worship at 6 p.m. For an introduction to Quaker Meeting for Worship, click here. Feel free to bring a friend! The trailer has microwaves but no conventional oven, so if you bring a potluck dish that needs reheating, please make sure it's in a microwave-safe container.

JP Quaker Basics

In our unfolding experiment, we are now on Facebook! If you are already a Facebook member, become a fan and spread the word.

JP Quakers meet on the second and fourth Sundays of every month in the trailer that houses the First Baptist Church in Jamaica Plain at 633 Centre Street at Myrtle Street, across from the post office in JP Center. The trailer and bathroom are wheelchair accessible. Our following scheduled meetings are  Sunday, November 22nd and Sunday, December 13th (for potluck and worship). In the meantime,

May you be richly blessed!
Judy Goldberger
jpquakers [at] bhfm.org

"Look among the nations and see; wonder and be astounded. For I am doing a work in your days that you would not believe if told." (Habakkuk 1:5)