7/12: Potluck & Worship / 7/26: Freedom School / 7/28: Vigil

1 view

Judy Goldberger

Jul 6, 2009, 9:34:29 PM7/6/09
to JP Quakers
"I often wonder if we really know how dangerous meeting for worship is.
By making ourselves totally open to the working of the Spirit,
by reaching down beyond our deepest selves
to the very ground of our being,
who knows what may happen?
We are in effect offering a blank check of our lives."
- Helen Steven, 2005

JP Quakers hosted a spirited interfaith vigil June 30 "Time for Peace on the Street." We had good and sometimes moving conversation among ourselves and with passers by. A couple of cars who could see our signs above the parked cars honked, including one full of teenagers. Join us for this month's vigil Tuesday June 28 from 7-8 p.m.

The rain did not dampen our first Freedom School June 28, a deep and searching discussion on Martin Luther King, Jr., Malcolm X, and nonviolence today. Our next intergenerational Freedom School, Sunday, July 26, from 5-7 p.m., explores the physical, emotional, and spiritual costs of guns. If you are interested in helping with street outreach to teens, letting them know about the workshop, call Greg Williams, 617-501-6258 (leave a message), or e-mail gcw...@yahoo.com.

Our monthly community potluck and meeting for worship will of course continue as well. Our next meeting is Sunday, July 12.  Potluck supper is at 5 p.m., followed by Quaker meeting for worship at 6 p.m. The trailer has microwaves but no conventional oven, so if you bring a potluck dish that needs reheating, please make sure it's in a microwave-safe container.

Jamaica Plain Quakers meets in the trailer that houses the First Baptist Church in Jamaica Plain at 633 Centre Street at Myrtle Street, across from the post office in JP Center. The trailer and bathroom are wheelchair accessible. If you can't make this meeting but would like to come in the future, we meet on the second and fourth Sundays of every month, so our next scheduled meetings are Sunday, August 9th (after the conclusion of New England Yearly Meeting, our annual regional gathering) and 23rd, 2009.

Blessings of peace and hope,
Judy Goldberger
jpqu...@bhfm.org
857-719-4057

"Look among the nations and see; wonder and be astounded. For I am doing a work in your days that you would not believe if told." (Habakkuk 1:5)