2/28 @ 5 PM: On Progress and God's Kin-dom

Judy Goldberger

Feb 23, 2010, 8:04:58 PM2/23/10
to JP Quakers
Bring your questions, experiences, hopes, and and open heart to our monthly nonviolence discussion circle, this coming Sunday, February 28th at 5 p.m. Light refreshments will be served.

This month, we will dive into Frederick Douglass:

"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without demand. It never did and it never will." (1849).

Our next potluck and meeting for worship will be Sunday, March 14th.

Growing Into Beloved Community

Pastor Daniel Auguste of the Eglise Baptiste Pierre Angulaire (Cornerstone Baptist Church), the Haitian congregation which shares our space at First Baptist, thanks JP Quakers for the funds we collected for members of his congregation:

"It was a great Christian gesture you made in sending to our church a financial gift. It went to brother Lelio, who subsequently wired it to his homeless nephew in Haiti, through Western Union. The good news is the gift was well used; because it was used by a homeless and hungry family of three who was affected by the earthquake, and still lives in the streets. May God bless you and the Quakers members. In Christ, Pastor Daniel"

Please hold brother Lelio in your prayers, as he is seriously ill himself and lost other family members in Haiti.

Listening to the Divine for Guidance in Our Lives and Actions:
A Day of Extended Worship

In keeping with the Yearly Meeting theme of Jubilee, which involves opportunities to set aside our daily work and routine and consider how we are living our lives, Salem Quarter (our regional association) is sponsoring a day-long extended meeting for worship on Saturday March 13th. This is an opportunity to worship more deeply than is possible in an hour long meeting. It will be held at Wellesley Friends Meeting. For more information, visit http://www.bhfh.org/sqm/.

May you be richly blessed!
Judy Goldberger
jpquakers [at] bhfm.org

"Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice, and justice at its best is power correcting everything that stands against love. " - Martin Luther King Jr, 1967

JP Quaker Basics

JP Quakers meets on the second and fourth Sundays of the month. On the second Sunday, we meet for potluck at 5 p.m., followed by meeting for worship at 6 p.m. On the fourth Sunday, we meet for a nonviolence discussion circle from 5 to 7 p.m. over light refreshments.

In our unfolding experiment, we are now on Facebook! If you are already a Facebook member, become a fan and spread the word.

Jamaica Plain Quakers, a worship group under the care of Beacon Hill Friends Meeting, meets at First Baptist Church in Jamaica Plain, 633 Centre Street at Myrtle Street, across from the post office in JP Center (directions at www.firstbaptistjp.org). The newly renovated church building is wheelchair accessible.