mounting instruments

JD Vincent

Sep 19, 2022, 10:33:10 AM9/19/22
to J/92 Owners
When I bought my 2007 J92S used, it included some Tacktick wireless instruments with two displays mounted on brackets attached to the mast.  There is a Race Master and mn 100-2 analogue wind display, also a mast top remote wireless windspeed and direction sensor and a through hull paddlewheel.  I also have a B&G Zeuss chartplotter in the boat, mounted inside the cabin.

Although the Tacktick instruments all still work, I would like to update and replace these wireless instruments with new wired instruments over the off-season.  I am leaning toward the Raymarine i70 multifunction display, although I will also consider B&G which seems to be the main competitor.   I will run a new wire inside the mast to the masthead to connect a new wired wind sensor in an attempt to get more reliable wind information than a wireless sensor can provide.

I am considering the best way to mount the new display(s).

For various reasons, I might prefer not to mount the new display on the mast.  For short course racing, I have a mast bracket mounted Velocitek Pro, which occupies a fair amount of space on the mast already and it might be too crowded for more displays to be mounted there.

The other obvious mounting location would be the aft vertical surface of the cabin top.  While this would provide good visibility from the helm, I see the drawbacks as:
1.  I will need to choose which side of the companionway to mount the new display, or perhaps mount two displays, one on each side;
2.  This will require cutting holes in fibreglass which I am reluctant to do; and
3.  There is a plastic liner inside the cabin that covers the aft face of the cabin top which looks like it would be difficult to remove.  If I can't remove it, I would need to cut a hole in this interior liner to wire in the new display(s).

I am interested to see how other owners have mounted their instruments, especially pictures of installations.  I don't know whether the classic 92's are any different from the 92S in this regard.

Are there any commercially available solutions to this problem?  For example, Scanstrut makes a mast bracket that might work (but could interfere with the Velocitek):

John’s Contraptions

Sep 19, 2022, 12:21:24 PM9/19/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Classic 92.  I mast mounted using an old KVH mast mount bracket that I had laying around.  Bracket mounts via four screws on the side of the mast.  The display holes were different from what the Nexus displays needed so I added an aluminum face plate that was cut for the displays.  Sandblasted and painted it.  Came out great.  If it were me I would hit FB Marketplace or ebay and see what I could find.  If I replace the Nexus I'll just cut a new plate.  What I like is most of the crew can see the displays and not just the brain trust in the back.

Last time I looked at the price on the B&G brackets it was offensive.

John

Dan Stone

Sep 19, 2022, 2:36:17 PM9/19/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

For the past boats, I heated up 1 1/2" wide by 1/8" thick aluminum and bent it into a U shape and bolted a piece of cut out and rounded G10 to it to put the instruments into, then tapped it into the mast.  I agree with John, most brackets are stupid expensive.

However my boat came with a custom (has to be home made, but done really well) carbon fiber instrument holder with a place for the Velocitek at the top, so no aluminum bending this time.

Thanks,
Dan Stone
Triple Play #9

Simon Letort

Sep 30, 2022, 12:30:22 AM9/30/22
to J/92 Owners
I installed in the cockpit, a B&G Zeus 9 on port and 2 Triton on starboard.
It required an NMEA2k re-wiring, see post here for details. (a little tricky for the mast).
But overall, very happy with the setup.

See picture:
IMG_5139.JPG

Simon

Mark Camilleri

Oct 3, 2022, 1:47:45 AM10/3/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon that setup is exactly like mine including the compass. The only problem
I find with them Zeus there is that the halyards and sheets on the winch are frequently in front of it .

Regards

Mark

--
Mark Camilleri
00356 99404089

Paolo Ciceroni

Oct 3, 2022, 1:59:07 AM10/3/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I hot the instrument in the dame position of your compass, I often break the glassa of the display because of the treads the instruments receive from people going belove down deck.... (excuse me for my orrible way of editing, I live in Italy).
Paolo Ciceroni

Ej Haskell

Oct 3, 2022, 2:01:09 PM10/3/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
We added B&G instruments, Zeus3 9" chartplotter/multifunction display and two Tritons to our J/92 Vixen and are very happy with the location. No obstructions whatsoever to see them.
The Chartplotter is on a Ram Mount that swings out into the companion way. The Tritons are on the mast. Good visibility for everyone who needs it.
We didn't like the B&G Mast bracket (don't recall if it was price, function or what) so we purchased a RayMarine bracket and I designed a 3D "adapter". I had the adapter 3D printed in a material that was heat and UV tolerant for under $100.

Line management: we added two small portholes on either side of the companionway, ala the J/105, which allows us to stow halyards, furling line, tackline, etc when not in use. Makes cockpit much cleaner and way fewer tangles.

IMG_1347.jpg

--
Twenty Years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than those you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the wind in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ~Mark Twain

-RRB

Oct 7, 2022, 7:37:44 PM10/7/22
to J/92 Owners
I have a 2006 J/92S that had an NKE instrument package installed. The setup was completely inoperative, so I replaced it with a B&G Vulcan 9 on the bulkhead, and 2 B&G Triton displays on the mast. The NKE bracket had to be recut and I used black starboard as backing to mount. I’ve had no issues with this setup and can’t think of anything I would change. (Unless Nemesis displays go on sale).
51897295-DD12-4351-9D00-A7B7497B2C5C.jpeg

Angela Luvingston

Oct 26, 2022, 10:11:49 AM10/26/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Hi all
We unfortunately lost our j92 “just enough” in the Holyhead marine disaster a few years ago. As we have not replaced her with another ‘92 we have decided to sell a very good jib made by ultimate sails with a maximum of 15 hours use total. It has been stored  dry and rolled since then .  At £600 it’s a bargain,if interested give us a call on 01286 672811 or 07818072113
We also have a cabin mast cover in blue and a cabin material door in blue .

Please let me know if this is not a good place to offer these for sale or if you have a better idea of where to sell them

Many thanks
Angela and Phil

Sent from Outlook for iOS

Nov 21, 2022, 6:51:32 PM11/21/22
to J/92 Owners
I did an instrument upgrade last winter on my J/92S. Went with the B&G setup mostly for their sailsteer and race software. Pic attached. I have a 9” Vulcan chart plotter on the port bulkhead. This is a great spot due to the cavity in this location, so not visible inside the boat. I mounted 2 Triton displays at the mast by repurposing the NKE bracket that came with the boat. Went wireless masthead transducer and with 10 months use, it has never dropped signal. Fully satisfied with this setup. If money wasn’t an issue, I would have gone with a Nemesis 9 at the mast.

On Monday, September 19, 2022 at 9:33:10 AM UTC-5 davey....@gmail.com wrote:
568896FE-1211-4B33-B124-A0B564DEA686.jpeg