MERGE PARTITIONS WEIGHTS-CRITERIA

Alexandros Vasilikopoulos

Oct 2, 2017, 12:55:35 PM10/2/17
to IQ-TREE
Dear iqtree developers,

I want to ask what is the criterion for calculating the similarity of subset when using the
TESTMERGEONLY and MF+MERGE options. I know that in partitionfinder there is an option called weights 'x,x,x,x'
which basically correspond to weight values for model, rate, frequency, and alpha parameter of the gamma distribution.

Is there sth similar in iqtree and if not how is the similarity calculated?

Many thanks
Alex

Bui Quang Minh

Oct 2, 2017, 5:37:29 PM10/2/17
to iqt...@googlegroups.com, Alexandros Vasilikopoulos
Dear Alex,

IQ-TREE only takes the rate into account, i.e. model, frequency or alpha are disregarded. In other words, the similarity between partitions is based on the rates alone. I believe that is also the default option in PartitionFinder. At some point I also thought about supporting such a weighting. But then Rob Lanfear told me that users rarely change the default option. Moreover, there is no good sense of how to weight the parameters.

Therefore I decided not to implement such option in IQ-TREE. If you however have some compelling reason then I’m happy to reconsider it.

Cheers, Minh

Bui Quang Minh
Center for Integrative Bioinformatics Vienna (CIBIV)
Campus Vienna Biocenter 5, VBC5, Ebene 1
A-1030 Vienna, Austria
Phone: ++43 1 4277 74326
Email: minh.bui (AT) univie.ac.at

Alexandros Vasilikopoulos

Oct 4, 2017, 5:51:00 AM10/4/17
to IQ-TREE
Dear Minh,

Thanks a lot for the answer. Could please elaborate a bit more about this rate calculation? Is this a substitution rate or an evolutionary rate?
And if the second how is it calculated?

Best wishes and thanks again
Alex

Bui Quang Minh

Oct 5, 2017, 5:32:28 AM10/5/17
to iqt...@googlegroups.com, Alexandros Vasilikopoulos
Hi Alex,

With rates I mean the sum of branch lengths of the partition tree (or tree length). Fast/slow evolving partitions will have high/low tree length. ModelFinder will consider to merge partitions having similar evolutionary rate. You can think of this partition rate as an average rate across all sites in the partition. This is of course not substitution rates (A-C,A-G etc.).

Note that this discussion is only valid when you use -rcluster option.

Cheers, Minh