-asr with codons

Nathanael Walker-Hale

Dec 1, 2018, 8:44:10 AM12/1/18
to IQ-TREE
Is it possible to do ancestral sequence reconstruction with codons yet? I tried specifying -st CODON and giving a codon substitution model, but it spat out a developer error, which makes me think you may not have implemented it yet.

Best wishes,

Nat Walker-Hale

Minh Bui

Dec 3, 2018, 12:48:02 AM12/3/18
to IQ-TREE, Nathanael Walker-Hale
Hi Nat,

You are right, ASR feature does not work with codon models yet, which I overlooked. Thanks for pointing this out. We will fix it for the next 1.6.x release.

Minh

Minh Bui

Dec 17, 2018, 3:50:16 AM12/17/18
to IQ-TREE, Nathanael Walker-Hale
Dear Nat,

Can you please tell me, if there is a numerical underflow message? Did you see have any NOTE about some state(s) not present in the alignment? If so, this is the problem and not specific to codon models. It would be helpful if you send me the log file as well.

Thanks,
Minh

Nathanael Walker-Hale

Dec 19, 2018, 10:29:48 AM12/19/18
to IQ-TREE
Dear Minh,

When I run it on e.g. the attached alignment, using the latest 1.7b release, I get the following error:

Do NNI search on 20 best initial trees
Estimate model parameters (epsilon = 0.100)
BETTER TREE FOUND at iteration 1: -81606.280
ERROR: iqtree.cpp:3206: virtual pair<int, int> IQTree::optimizeNNI(bool): Assertion `curScore > appliedNNIs.at(0).newloglh - 0.1 && "Using one NNI reduces LogL"' failed.
ERROR: STACK TRACE FOR DEBUGGING:
ERROR:
ERROR: *** IQ-TREE CRASHES WITH SIGNAL ABORTED
ERROR: *** For bug report please send to developers:
ERROR: ***    Log file: Bv_genbank_lab_DODA_4a_1_1.cds.fa.fsaaa2cdn.aln-cln.log
ERROR: ***    Alignment files (if possible)
Aborted (core dumped)

I have attached the alignment and the log.

Best,

Nat
Bv_genbank_lab_DODA_4a_1_1.cds.fa.fsaaa2cdn.aln-cln
Bv_genbank_lab_DODA_4a_1_1.cds.fa.fsaaa2cdn.aln-cln.log

Minh Bui

Dec 19, 2018, 5:34:07 PM12/19/18
to IQ-TREE, Nathanael Walker-Hale
Dear Nat,

I see, in this case I don’t recommend to use codon models. Your alignment has only 275 codon sites for 471 sequences, which cause numerical problem for such complex codon models. Please switch to DNA models only.

Cheers
Minh

<Bv_genbank_lab_DODA_4a_1_1.cds.fa.fsaaa2cdn.aln-cln><Bv_genbank_lab_DODA_4a_1_1.cds.fa.fsaaa2cdn.aln-cln.log>

Nathanael Walker-Hale

Dec 19, 2018, 5:36:19 PM12/19/18
to IQ-TREE
Hi Minh,

This was actually just a dataset I grabbed to reproduce the issue, but in general will codon reconstruction work? (in cases where n >> k)

Best,

Nat

Minh Bui

Dec 19, 2018, 5:45:38 PM12/19/18
to IQ-TREE, Nathanael Walker-Hale
Yes, in general when you have enough data it should work.

Minh