Question re -fconst option

Megan Earls

Mar 6, 2020, 7:45:39 AM3/6/20
to IQ-TREE
Hi,

I am running IQTree on the snippy-core output (core.aln) of ~200 staph aureus genomes. As I am using an alignment with the SNP sites only, I understand that I must use the -fconst option in order for my branches to be scaled correctly (is this correct?).

My question is, how do I know what integer numbers to put after "-fconst" in my command? I understand that "-fconst 10, 20, 15, 40" relates to "-fconst A, C, G, T" but how do I know what exact numbers to use?

My SNP site alignment is ~8000 nt and the staph aureus genome is ~2.8 MB, with a GC content of ~32%

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Megan

Bui Quang Minh

Mar 6, 2020, 3:27:04 PM3/6/20
to iqt...@googlegroups.com

Hi Megan,

On Fri, 6 Mar 2020 at 11:45 pm, Megan Earls <ear...@tcd.ie> wrote:
Hi,

I am running IQTree on the snippy-core output (core.aln) of ~200 staph aureus genomes. As I am using an alignment with the SNP sites only, I understand that I must use the -fconst option in order for my branches to be scaled correctly (is this correct?).

Yes that’s correct, but Iq-tree can still do ascertainment bias correction automatically to account for the absence of invariant sites.

My question is, how do I know what integer numbers to put after "-fconst" in my command? I understand that "-fconst 10, 20, 15, 40" relates to "-fconst A, C, G, T" but how do I know what exact numbers to use?

My SNP site alignment is ~8000 nt and the staph aureus genome is ~2.8 MB, with a GC content of ~32%

Any help would be really appreciated.

That’s I don’t know, perhaps this snippy program can tell you with some option? In case that’s not possible, the ASC model mentioned above can be used
Minh

Thanks,

Megan

Megan Earls

Mar 7, 2020, 7:01:38 AM3/7/20
to IQ-TREE
Hi Minh,

Thank you for your response. I will check snippy for that detail. Re the +ASC option, I ran the following command:

iqtree -s core.aln -m GTR+ASC

And the tree turned out pretty much as expected. But how did the branch scaling get corrected when the I never told IQTree the number of invariant site or the size of the genome?

Thanks,

Megan

Minh Bui

Mar 7, 2020, 11:18:43 PM3/7/20
to IQ-TREE, Megan Earls
Hi Megan,

This “mystery” was explained in a great paper by Paul Lewis:

IQ-TREE implemented exactly this correction.

Cheers,
Minh

Megan Earls

Mar 11, 2020, 3:54:37 AM3/11/20