“ERROR: Rate entries could not be read” when using custom codon exchange rates and frequencies

Umberto Perron

Aug 29, 2017, 5:41:19 AM8/29/17
to IQ-TREE
Hi, I'm runnin iqtree v1.5.5. for Linux 64-bit ad issuing the following command:

$ iqtree -s testalign -st CODON -m testmodel

where "testmodel" is a file containing custom codon exchange rates and frequencies in PAML format.
Unfortunately it results in the aforementioned error.
I have also tried to supply the ECM matrix as presented in the supplementary materials of Kosiol,C., Holmes,I., Goldman,N., 2007 (doi) whith identical results.
I'm quite sure that I'm missing something basic but I have no idea how to solve this.
Best,

Umberto
testmodel
testalign.log

Bui Quang Minh

Aug 29, 2017, 8:41:16 AM8/29/17
to IQ-TREE, Umberto Perron
Dear Umberto,

The documentation (http://www.iqtree.org/doc/Substitution-Models#codon-models) about user-defined codon model is wrong. For standard genetic code the file should contain 61*61 symmetric rate matrix and 61 frequencies (not in PAML format). I will update the doc, thanks!

Note that the codon order is AAA,AAC,AAG,AAT,ACA,….,TTT, excluding the 3 stop codons. I believe that PAML uses a different order. So pls check this carefully.

Moreover, your codon model is problematic: it has many codons with zero frequency. This will cause numerical problem. So please change this, before you run IQ-TREE. I don’t know how small a frequency can get before making problem, but it should not be smaller than 0.0001.

Cheers
Minh

<testmodel><testalign.log>

--
Bui Quang Minh
Center for Integrative Bioinformatics Vienna (CIBIV)