ERROR: Tree file does not start with an opening-bracket

Mark Miller

Jan 15, 2019, 7:44:48 PM1/15/19
to IQ-TREE
Hi,

I am trying to run tree optimization on a partitioned data set. But the job fails with the message ERROR: Tree file does not start with an opening-bracket '(' (line 1 column 1)

I wonder if the -bnni option is incompatible with using a partition file?
Here are the command lines, the first fails, the second works

iqtree_1.6.9_comet  -wslr -s infile.txt -bb 1000 -sp partition.txt      -wsl -bnni        -st DNA -wsr         -pre nop_cyc -nt AUTO

if i remove the partition file, the job runs normally.

iqtree_1.6.9_comet  -wslr -s infile.txt -bb 1000      -wsl -bnni        -st DNA -wsr         -pre nop_cyc_noparts -nt AUTO

Thanks for any advice
Mark

Minh Bui

Jan 16, 2019, 1:48:33 PM1/16/19
to IQ-TREE, Mark Miller
Hi Mark,

Thanks for reporting this, I confirm that this crash is a bug in the combination of two options -sp and -bnni. I’ll have a closer look once back in ~2 weeks. Note that the edge-linked partition model (-spp) works fine with -bnni, which I actually recommend you to do, see a preprint on the comparison between the two partition models:

Minh Bui

Feb 19, 2019, 7:11:46 AM2/19/19
to IQ-TREE, Mark Miller
Dear Mark,

This issue is now fixed in version 1.6.10 just released.

Thanks,
Minh