BUG: IQtree crashes during bootstrap running with predefined codon model

Karen Siu Ting

Mar 7, 2018, 7:03:56 AM3/7/18
to IQ-TREE
Hi Minh,

I was trying to run a non-parametric bootstrap analysis of a nucleotide alignment using codon models in my server (Linux-64 bit, my node is: Host:    node002 (AVX2, FMA3, 1009 GB RAM)
Kernel:  AVX+FMA - 8 threads (16 CPU cores detected)

Command used is:

iqtree-omp -s gene_untrimmed_280218_QC.fasta -st CODON -m GY+F+R10 -b 100 -nt 8

I had provided the model here because I had tried running it before without specifying the model and it crashed. After several attempts, I got it to the point where it selected the best model, which is that one specified above.

So in the last run, after specifying the model, it run fine for 4 bootstraps, but then it crashed in the 5th. I tried re-submitting the job but always crashes at this point.
I get the following error message:

CHECKPOINT: Initial tree restored

NOTE: 1343 MB RAM (1 GB) is required!
Estimate model parameters (epsilon = 0.100)
1. Initial log-likelihood: -520358.546
ERROR: phylokernelnew.h:2951: double PhyloTree::computeLikelihoodBranchGenericSIMD(PhyloNeighbor*, PhyloNode*) [with VectorClass = Vec4d; bool SAFE
_NUMERIC = true; bool FMA = true; bool SITE_MODEL = false]: Assertion `!std::isnan(tree_lh) && "Numerical underflow for lh-branch"' failed.
ERROR: STACK TRACE FOR DEBUGGING:
ERROR: 1   funcAbort()
ERROR: 3   gsignal()
ERROR: 4   abort()
ERROR: 6   double PhyloTree::computeLikelihoodBranchGenericSIMD<Vec4d, true, true, false>(PhyloNeighbor*, PhyloNode*)
ERROR: 7   PhyloTree::computeLikelihood(double*)
ERROR: 8   PhyloTree::computeFunction(double)
ERROR: 9   Optimization::minimizeOneDimen(double, double, double, double, double*, double*)
ERROR: 10   PhyloTree::optimizeTreeLengthScaling(double, double&, double, double)
ERROR: 11   RateFree::optimizeWithEM()
ERROR: 12   ModelFactory::optimizeParameters(int, bool, double, double)
ERROR: 13   ModelFactory::optimizeParametersGammaInvar(int, bool, double, double)
ERROR: 14   IQTree::optimizeModelParameters[abi:cxx11](bool, double)
ERROR: 15   runTreeReconstruction(Params&, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >&, IQTree*&, ModelCheckpo
int&)
ERROR: 16   runStandardBootstrap(Params&, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >&, Alignment*, IQTree*)
ERROR: 17   runPhyloAnalysis(Params&, Checkpoint*)
ERROR: 18   main()
ERROR: 19   __libc_start_main()
ERROR:
ERROR: *** IQ-TREE CRASHES WITH SIGNAL ABORTED
ERROR: *** For bug report please send to developers:
ERROR: ***    Log file: gene_untrimmed_280218_QC.fasta.log
ERROR: ***    Alignment files (if possible)
/cm/local/apps/sge/current/spool/node002/job_scripts/3100568: line 14: 28590 Aborted                 (core dumped) ~/bin/iqtree-omp -s gene_untrimm
ed_280218_QC.fasta -st CODON -m GY+F+R10 -b 100 -nt 8

Is there anything I'm supposed to do differently? or is it a problem of my software? I'm running a version compiled in the actual cluster because pre-compiled versions always crashed in my server.

Any help would be very appreciated!

Thanks!

Karen.

Karen Siu Ting

Mar 7, 2018, 7:07:07 AM3/7/18
to IQ-TREE
Oh I forgot to add, the seed number for this crashed job was:
===> START BOOTSTRAP REPLICATE NUMBER 5

Creating bootstrap alignment (seed: 268635)...

CHECKPOINT: Initial tree restored

Minh Bui

Mar 7, 2018, 5:35:55 PM3/7/18
to IQ-TREE, Karen Siu Ting
Hi Karen,

Thanks for the detailed report. Do you see any WARNINGs in the log-file? My guess now is that +R10 can be over-fitting for your alignment, causing numerical problem.

But anyway please send me the alignment and all output files via my personal email for debugging purpose.

Cheers
Minh

Minh Bui

Mar 18, 2018, 6:46:16 PM3/18/18
to IQ-TREE, Karen Siu Ting
Hi Karen,

While fixing this bug, I notice some obvious error in your alignments:

That means, the start codon (ATG) are not correctly aligned. These 3 middle sequences are shifted forward and wrongly aligned, which might cause long branches leading to them and numerical problems as you observed. So I would first go back to correct the alignment again (even manually if the alignment program does not do a good job), before running IQ-TREE.

Cheers
Minh