Mix Data Error in v. 1.6

Stephen Baca

Feb 9, 2018, 12:40:57 PM2/9/18
to IQ-TREE
Greetings,

I have been trying to run a mixed-data analysis in v. 1.6.

The data consists of two subalignments, DNA and morphology, saved as separate NEXUS files. I have the partitions set as instructed in the Manual, though I omit the Charpartitions command (see below).

I use the following options to run the analyses:

 -sp partitionfile.nex -NT AUTO -M TEST -BB 1000

The analysis seems to load the partitions\alignments fine, but then I get the following:

NOTE: Restoring information from model checkpoint file Partition-CHRY-IQtree-01.nex.model.gz

CHECKPOINT: Initial tree restored
NOTE: ModelFinder requires 59 MB RAM!
NUMBER OF THREADS FOR PARTITION FINDING: 8
ERROR: Cannot concatenate sub-alignments of different type

And this is my abbreviated partition file text:

#NEXUS
BEGIN SETS;
CHARSET 1st  = CHRYcomb-IQ-tree_local01_mole.nex:DNA, 1-657;
CHARSET 2nd  = CHRYcomb-IQ-tree_local01_mole.nex:DNA, 658-771;
CHARSET 3rd  = CHRYcomb-IQ-tree_local01_mole.nex:DNA, 772-2304;
CHARSET 21st = CHRYcomb-IQ-tree_local01_mole.nex:DNA, 16353-18452;
CHARSET 22nd = CHRYcomb-IQ-tree_local01_morph.nex:MORPH, 1-87;
END;

Any insight as to what the problem might be? I will note that for some taxa, I have only morphological data. These are included in the DNA matrix, but only with missing data "?". I did run both aligments individually on the web server as a quick test. The analyses did not much like that the DNA alignment had taxa with only missing data, but once I added a dummy site at the beginning of the alignment, there were no problems.

Thank you much for your time,
Stephen

Minh Bui

Feb 12, 2018, 7:39:13 AM2/12/18
to iqt...@googlegroups.com, Stephen Baca
Hi Stephen,

I confirm that v1.6 does not support mixed data types, unfortunately. This will be fixed in the next release. However, I’ve seen that you do edge-unlinked ModelFinder. Therefore, you can use the latest v1.5 version, which indeed supports such analysis.

Cheers,
Minh

Stephen Baca

Feb 12, 2018, 9:48:15 AM2/12/18
to IQ-TREE
Hi Minh,

Ahh ok, I apologize for the misunderstanding. Thank you for clarifying!

Kind regards,
Stephen

Minh Bui

Feb 13, 2018, 10:02:26 PM2/13/18
to iqt...@googlegroups.com, Stephen Baca
Hi Stephen, No need to apologise, this is indeed an issue that we need to fix.

Cheers
Minh