IQTree crashes with Signal Aborted

Marc Hömberger

Jul 11, 2017, 4:54:17 PM7/11/17
to IQ-TREE
Hi,

I wanted to do a topology evaluation for a set of trees I have from a Phylobayes run. I have as input file the consensus tree that I hand over as -te parameter. Then the list of trees generated during Phylobayes run (for trouble shooting purposes I just choose to use the last 100sampled trees) is handed over as -z.

The command used is:
iqtree-omp-latest -nt 4  -s alignment_final.fas -st AA  -te tree.newick -z all.trees -zb 50000  -au.

I attached the files as well as the error log file.

The exact error I get when IQtree crashes:
155 ERROR:
156 ERROR: *** IQ-TREE CRASHES WITH SIGNAL ABORTED
157 ERROR: *** For bug report please send to developers:
158 ERROR: ***    Log file: alignment_final.fas.log
159 ERROR: ***    Alignment files (if possible)

BOOTSTRAP.e7400578
BOOTSTRAP.o7400578
alignment_final.fas.log
alignment_final.fas
all.trees
tree.newick

James Bickerstaff

Jul 11, 2017, 11:01:06 PM7/11/17
to IQ-TREE
Hi Marc,

I also get a similar error when running IQ Tree. I was running the beginner's tutorial when I ran into the problem. I've tried on two various windows machines (both running intel core i5 processors), but both seem to fail. I didn't get any error log files, but attached is a screenshot and the alignment file from the tutorial.

Cheers,
James Bickerstaff
example.phy
IQ tree error.png

Marc Hömberger

Jul 11, 2017, 11:05:29 PM7/11/17
to IQ-TREE
That is interesting.

I should add that I tried it both with the latest version from the github as well as the stable release. I get the error reproducible for both compilations. Also I tested both linux (blade server) architecture as well as my local macbook. I do get the same error on both architectures.

-Marc

James Bickerstaff

Jul 11, 2017, 11:15:59 PM7/11/17
to IQ-TREE
And I just tested the latest release on a MacBook too (also intel i5), and still the same issue

- James

Dominik Schrempf

Jul 12, 2017, 5:46:11 AM7/12/17
to iqt...@googlegroups.com
Dear James and Marc,

I am not the main developer of IQ-TREE who is not in office this week.
However, I have some comments, that may help you.

I believe that your problems are unrelated.

James, it looks like IQ-TREE is unable to read the example data file
`example.phy`. I tried to reproduce your error but the analysis
succeeded. Can you check that `example.phy` is available in your folder
of analysis and complete (maybe do an md5sum check)? However, it may be
a problem of having different operating systems (I run Linux here).

Marc, I am afraid that the error might be a consequence of a weak
multisequence alignment. I can redproduce your error. It basically says,
that during parameter estimation, it does not know what to do, because
any change in the parameters leads to a big difference in the likelihood
(Minh, please correct me if this is wrong). When I check your alignment,
I notice that there are shifts in the sequences.

Lets compare the second and third sequences
sp_A0A1U8DSZ3_JAK3_Alligator_sinensis and
sp_H0VSL1_JAK3_Cavia_porcellus. The first three measured amino acids are
MAP, but they are shifted by two. Is there a way to improve your
alignment before further analysis?

I hope that I could help.

Best wishes,
Dominik

--
Dominik Schrempf PhD Student

Vienna Graduate School of Population Genetics
Vetmeduni Vienna
Austria

Marc Hömberger

Jul 12, 2017, 9:14:07 AM7/12/17
to IQ-TREE, Dominik....@vetmeduni.ac.at
Hi Dominik,

thanks for the reply, I will see what I can do about the alignment. I will let you know how it goes.

-Marc

Bui Quang Minh

Jul 14, 2017, 6:24:23 AM7/14/17
to IQ-TREE, Marc Hömberger
Dear All,

Dominik had good points - thanks for that. I confirm that the problem James had is because there is no alignment (example.phy) in the current folder (C:\Users\James). But I admit that error message is not informative, it should have been like failure reading alignment. We will fix that.

Marc reported a different problem, which seems like a bug - I will have a look.

Cheers, Minh
--
Bui Quang Minh
Center for Integrative Bioinformatics Vienna (CIBIV)

Bui Quang Minh

Dec 3, 2017, 3:18:37 AM12/3/17
to 'Karen Meusemann' via IQ-TREE, Marc Hömberger
Dear Marc,

I can’t reproduce this behavior with the stable release 1.5.5. I noticed that you used beta version 1.6.beta5. Did you compile the code from GitHub? There is an issue with with beta version which I fixed recently. Thus, this crash may have been fixed as well.

Cheers, Minh

<BOOTSTRAP.e7400578><BOOTSTRAP.o7400578><alignment_final.fas.log><alignment_final.fas><all.trees><tree.newick>