mix data with DNA sequences and binary data

Diego Zhu

Jun 8, 2019, 5:40:20 AM6/8/19
to IQ-TREE
Hi,

I tried to code indel in my alignment as binary data. I would like to have iqtree infer the phylogenetic relationship using both the sequence and binary data. I wonder what is the input file looks like for this type of input data? Is it going to be sequence directly followed by the binary data e.g. atcgttg011101? Many thanks!

Kind Regards,

Diego

Diego Zhu

Jun 11, 2019, 6:46:23 PM6/11/19
to IQ-TREE
Can anyone help me with this, please?

Minh Bui

Jun 11, 2019, 9:52:09 PM6/11/19
to IQ-TREE, Diego Zhu
Hi Diego,

Sorry for the delay. You can’t mix DNA and binary in one alignment file. You need to prepare 2 files: the DNA alignment (also your original file; say dna.phy) and the binary alignment file (e.g. bin.phy). Then prepare this partition file:

#nexus
begin sets;
charset p1=dna.phy:*;
charset p2=bin.phy:*;
end;

You can now run IQ-TREE, where the basic command is:

iqtree -sp partition_file

Cheers,
Minh

Diego Zhu