generate pair wise distance matrix of unrooted phylogenetic tree given by "iqtree"

Chirag Parsania

Jun 28, 2018, 11:18:11 AM6/28/18
to IQ-TREE
Hi,

I am quite new to phylogenetic analysis and so IQtree as well. Please bare with me if question does not make sense.

I am using IQtree to analyse some horizontally transferred genes. I have successfully generated phylogenetic tree using IQtree. I have few questions related to interpretation of the trees given by IQtree.

1). I want to make pairwise comparison of each species given in the tree. To do this, first, I converted unrooted tree to rooted tree using outgroup sequence. Question is, how can I get the pairwise distance of rooted phylogenetic tree ?? I know IQtree gives .mldist file having pairwise distance matrix of final tree given by IQtree. However, I don't know how much the matrix of .mldist file is reliable to use  if I converted original unrooted tree to rooted tree ??

Any answer would be highly highly appreciated.

Chirag Parsania

Jun 28, 2018, 9:30:15 PM6/28/18
to IQ-TREE
Hi,

I have started same discussion on biostar as well. if anyone would like to answer there.

Minh Bui

Jun 29, 2018, 5:47:26 AM6/29/18
to iqt...@googlegroups.com, Chirag Parsania
Hi Chirag,

Regarding .mldist: Please note that this is not the distance matrix computed from the tree. Instead this is the distance from pairwise sequence comparisons, i.e. just by looking at sequence content — no tree is involved here. The distance is computed using maximum likelihood (that’s why it’s called mldist) based on model parameter estimates from an initial tree. The main purpose of IQ-TREE was to use this distance matrix to build a neighbour-joining tree, which is used as one of the starting trees for more thorough ML tree search.

For the 2nd question, if you want to use a tree to compute the distance (i.e. the path lengths between 2 species), I guess you can use some R package such as APE, though I haven’t use it myself. This should work regardless of rooted or unrooted trees.

Any finally since you mentioned HGT: since this is non-treelike event, you should use some phylogenetic networks such as those implemented in the SplitsTree software.

Hope that helps,
Minh

Chirag Parsania

Jun 30, 2018, 10:35:58 AM6/30/18
to IQ-TREE
Hi Minh,

Thanks a lot for your reply. It was indeed very useful and important information that .mldist file does not represent the final tree given by IQ-tree. Without knowing that I would have missed tree information.

I have been using
cophenetic.phylo
 function implemented in the
ape

package  which converts tree in to distance matrix using branch length.

One again thanks for your time.