How to select model for binary irreversible sequence data?

Chang Ye

Oct 7, 2018, 11:14:12 AM10/7/18
to IQ-TREE

mix package in phylip is for building tree from binary irreversible sequence.

Changes 0 --> 1 are much more probable than changes 1 --> 0 (Camin-Sokal)

Seems that there is no model in iqtree to do this job. Which argument should I modify to make iqtree fit Camin-Sokal?

Chang Ye

Oct 8, 2018, 2:07:33 AM10/8/18
to IQ-TREE

Is it possible to assign prior mutation rate for any kind of mutation?

Just like GTR{1.0,2.0,1.5,3.7,2.8} but include more number in the blacket, XXX{1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, 6.0, 7.0, 8.0, 9.0, 10.0, 11.0, 12.0}

Minh Bui

Oct 8, 2018, 2:32:40 AM10/8/18
to IQ-TREE, Chang Ye
Hi there, I’ve never heard of Camin Sokal model. The web page you sent talks about parsimony, whereas IQ-TREE does likelihood inference. So I don’t know what is this model in the likelihood context…

Cheers
Minh

Minh Bui

Oct 8, 2018, 2:39:58 AM10/8/18
to iqt...@googlegroups.com, Chang Ye
Hi again,

I’m assuming you want to perform non-reversible DNA model. This most general model is called 12.12, which belongs to the class of Lie Markov models. You can fix Lie Markov model parameters with:

-m “12.12{r1,…,r11}"

However, r_i are parameters in the range (-1,1) and have a very different meaning than GTR model. For more details please have a look at this paper: (Woodhams et al., 2015)

Cheers
Minh

Chang Ye

May 27, 2019, 12:42:46 AM5/27/19
to IQ-TREE
Hi Minh,

I read document about Lie Markov model carefully, and make some attempt to apply the model to BINARY data.

But Seems that these models are for DNA only, even if I manually encode the 1, 0  chars into two DNA base, iqtree won't start...

It is possible to run iqtree on Binary data with irreversible model? If I like to use such model with iqtree, what can I do? Could you please give me some suggestions?

sincerely,
Chang

On Sunday, October 7, 2018 at 11:14:12 PM UTC+8, Chang Ye wrote:

mix package in phylip is for building tree from binary irreversible sequence.

Changes 0 --> 1 are much more probable than changes 1 --> 0 (Camin-Sokal)

Seems that there is no model in iqtree to do this job. Which argument should I modify to make iqtree fit Camin-Sokal?

Chang Ye

May 27, 2019, 1:50:26 AM5/27/19
to IQ-TREE
Also there is no useful error message for debugging...

```bash
ERROR: STACK TRACE FOR DEBUGGING:
ERROR:
ERROR: *** IQ-TREE CRASHES WITH SIGNAL SEGMENTATION FAULT
```

Minh Bui

May 27, 2019, 9:06:02 PM5/27/19
to IQ-TREE, Chang Ye
Hi Chang,

Somebody may correct me. But currently I believe there is no non-reversible Markov process for binary data, unless this process is non-stationary, i.e. the state frequencies will change along the tree. However, non-stationary models are not supported in IQ-TREE and it’ll take a large effort to implement it. Therefore, right now I suggest that you look for other software…

Cheers,
Minh

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/iqtree.

Chang Ye