Building gene trees: IQ-TREE CRASHES WITH SIGNAL ABORTED

Gregg Thomas

Feb 28, 2020, 11:06:35 AM2/28/20
to IQ-TREE
Hello,

I am using version:

IQ-TREE multicore version 2.0-rc1 for Linux 64-bit built Nov 21 2019
Developed by Bui Quang Minh, Nguyen Lam Tung, Olga Chernomor,
Heiko Schmidt, Dominik Schrempf, Michael Woodhams.

I am trying to run the command:

iqtree -S aln/ --prefix loci -T AUTO

This runs for a while and then exits with:

ERROR:
ERROR: *** IQ-TREE CRASHES WITH SIGNAL ABORTED
ERROR: *** For bug report please send to developers:
ERROR: ***    Log file: loci.log
ERROR: ***    Alignment files (if possible)

I can see no other info in the log file that pertains to this error, so I don't even know where to start to try and figure this out (hopefully I didn't miss something simple!).

Just for reference, the command:

iqtree -p aln/ --prefix concat -B 1000 -T AUTO

completes successfully.

The logfile is attached. I can send the alignments as well, but they were too large to attach here. Please let me know how to send those and if you need anything else.
Thanks!

-Gregg

loci.log

Minh Bui

Mar 5, 2020, 8:23:30 PM3/5/20
to IQ-TREE, Gregg Thomas
Hi Gregg,

Let me know if that works or not.

Thanks,
Minh

<loci.log>

Gregg Thomas

Mar 6, 2020, 10:29:41 PM3/6/20
to IQ-TREE
Hi Minh,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately that didn't work either. I'm now getting a segmentation fault.

Version:

IQ-TREE multicore version 2.0-rc2 for Linux 64-bit built Feb 19 2020

Developed by Bui Quang Minh, Nguyen Lam Tung, Olga Chernomor,
Heiko Schmidt, Dominik Schrempf, Michael Woodhams.

Error in the log file:

ERROR:
ERROR: *** IQ-TREE CRASHES WITH SIGNAL SEGMENTATION FAULT

ERROR: *** For bug report please send to developers:
ERROR: ***    Log file: loci.log
ERROR: ***    Alignment files (if possible)

The logfile is attached, and I can send the alignments if necessary.
Thanks!
-Gregg
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to iqt...@googlegroups.com.
loci.log

jigyasa arora

Mar 7, 2020, 2:55:01 AM3/7/20
to IQ-TREE
Hey Minh and Gregg

I am facing exactly the same problem with iqtree-1.6.12-Linux version.

Error in the log file-
"ERROR: splitgraph.h:235: int SplitGraph::getNTaxa(): Assertion `size() > 0' failed.
ERROR: STACK TRACE FOR DEBUGGING:
ERROR:
ERROR: *** IQ-TREE CRASHES WITH SIGNAL ABORTED
ERROR: *** For bug report please send to developers:
ERROR: ***    Log file: iqtree-FcC_smatrix.log
ERROR: ***    Alignment files (if possible)"

Any suggestions?

Gregg Thomas

Apr 29, 2020, 11:09:22 PM4/29/20
to IQ-TREE
Hi Minh,

I wanted to follow up on this. This appears to occur only when specifying -T > 1 (or -T AUTO). Running this analysis on a single thread completes successfully, though obviously takes longer.
I have tried this on both SLURM and TORQUE managed systems with the same result. Here is the log file from my latest attempt yesterday, with the latest release of IQ-Tree.

Version:

IQ-TREE multicore version 2.0.4 for Linux 64-bit built Apr 27 2020

Command I ran:

iqtree -S aln-windows/125kb-0.5-0.5-aln/ --prefix 125kb-0.5-0.5-loci -T AUTO

Error:

ERROR:
ERROR: *** IQ-TREE CRASHES WITH SIGNAL ABORTED
ERROR: *** For bug report please send to developers:
ERROR: ***    Log file: 125kb-0.5-0.5-loci.log

ERROR: ***    Alignment files (if possible)

Log file is attached. Happy to send alignments, though I should note that I have tried this on multiple datasets now to no avail.

Thanks,
-Gregg
125kb-0.5-0.5-loci.log

Minh Bui

May 5, 2020, 9:14:42 PM5/5/20
to IQ-TREE, Gregg Thomas
Hi Gregg,

Sorry for the delay — At the moment I really have limited time to support users. In this case, you can alternatively do a for-loop to run IQ-TREE for each alignment instead of -S option. So I suggest that you do this for the moment. Before I can get to fix the issue. Nevertheless, pls send me the alignments and I will come to that when time permits.

Thanks for your understanding,
Minh

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/iqtree/9ed166b2-dfb5-4993-9df5-17f6fd656f79%40googlegroups.com.
<125kb-0.5-0.5-loci.log>

Narfusala

May 17, 2021, 6:49:03 AM5/17/21
to IQ-TREE
Hey there,

I'm experiencing the exact same problem on 1.6.12 on a slurm HPC with a ~200x SNP array multi fasta using the command
$ iqtree -s input_multi.fasta -st DNA -keep-ident -mem 450G -nt 32 -m MF -bb 1000 -wbtl

Since gregg also works on slurm, maybe it's a slurm issue rather than iqtree issue? Anyway, trying to run it on one thread now to see if that helps :P

Cheers,
Lesley

Marcus Teixeira

Aug 26, 2021, 7:36:11 PM8/26/21
to IQ-TREE
I had the same problems.
But change the  -T AUTO to -T 16 and so far so good.
Marcus