Version 1.5.5: Variant sites file not produced

Angela McGaughran

Aug 23, 2017, 12:48:08 AM8/23/17
to IQ-TREE
Hi,
I'm trying to run iq-tree (version 1.5.5) on a SNP dataset using the following code:

iqtree-omp -s input.fasta -m MFP+ASC -bb 10000 -nt AUTO -st DNA

The program initially warns that it detects a different sequence type than that specified (it thinks I'm using proteins due to ambiguity codes), but I think it is safe to ignore this as I am using -st DNA?
However, the model selection does not take place, with the output "Skipped since +ASC is not applicable".
I understand that this is due to the fact that I have constant sites in the alignment, and I was expecting a .varsites file to be produced as per p121 of the manual.  However, no such file is produced and I cannot proceed.
I attach an example input file and the output log files to this post.
Thanks in advance,
Angela
2015-10-01_quail_lib.new.gvcf.filtered.snps.xmdp10.mmc7.mac3.Z.thin200000.recode.vcf.fasta
Zonly_thinned.log
Zonly_thinned.ckp.gz

Bui Quang Minh

Aug 23, 2017, 9:48:45 AM8/23/17
to IQ-TREE, Angela McGaughran
Hi Angela,

On Aug 23, 2017, at 6:48 AM, Angela McGaughran <ang.mcg...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,
I'm trying to run iq-tree (version 1.5.5) on a SNP dataset using the following code:

iqtree-omp -s input.fasta -m MFP+ASC -bb 10000 -nt AUTO -st DNA

The program initially warns that it detects a different sequence type than that specified (it thinks I'm using proteins due to ambiguity codes), but I think it is safe to ignore this as I am using -st DNA?

You are right - you can ignore this warning because IQ-TREE mis-detected the data type due to many ambiguity code.

However, the model selection does not take place, with the output "Skipped since +ASC is not applicable".
I understand that this is due to the fact that I have constant sites in the alignment, and I was expecting a .varsites file to be produced as per p121 of the manual.  However, no such file is produced and I cannot proceed.
I attach an example input file and the output log files to this post.

Please do -m GTR+ASC instead of -m MFP+ASC. It should then produce a .varsites.phy file and an error message like:

For your convenience alignment with variable sites printed to example.phy.varsites.phy
ERROR: Invalid use of +ASC because of 686 invariant sites in the alignment

The bottom line is that ModelFinder does not write this file, but giving a specific model name like GTR will do. We will change the behavior in later version.

Thanks, Minh

--
Bui Quang Minh
Center for Integrative Bioinformatics Vienna (CIBIV)

Angela McGaughran

Aug 27, 2017, 7:14:27 PM8/27/17
to IQ-TREE, ang.mcg...@gmail.com, minh...@univie.ac.at
Thanks so much, that worked fine!