Implementation of combined mixture models (e.g. JTT+UL3+G)

Anthony Redmond

Nov 15, 2017, 12:08:58 PM11/15/17
to IQ-TREE
Dear IQ-tree users/teams,

A) I have a case where the best fit amino acid models for my dataset is JTT+UL3+G, and wished to enquire about its behaviour.
Does this become a 4-matrix model (JTT+buried+intermediate+exposed), or are the three mixtures of UL3 replaced with independent JTT matrices?
I am assuming this is more like the later case; if so, just for clarity, this would then mean that say, JTT+EX3+G  and JTT+UL3+G would be effectively the same model?

B) Similarly, is this behaviour the same for other n-matrix models (UL2,EX2,EX3,EHO,EX_EHO)? With CF4 on the other hand sharing behaving more like C10-60?

Thank you!

Anthony

Bui Quang Minh

Nov 15, 2017, 4:27:51 PM11/15/17
to iqt...@googlegroups.com, Anthony Redmond
Hi Anthony,

That’s an interesting question. In fact I never considered such mixture combination before. It is possible but with some change in model specification:

On Nov 15, 2017, at 6:08 PM, Anthony Redmond <anthon...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear IQ-tree users/teams,

A) I have a case where the best fit amino acid models for my dataset is JTT+UL3+G, and wished to enquire about its behaviour.
Does this become a 4-matrix model (JTT+buried+intermediate+exposed), or are the three mixtures of UL3 replaced with independent JTT matrices?
I am assuming this is more like the later case; if so, just for clarity, this would then mean that say, JTT+EX3+G  and JTT+UL3+G would be effectively the same model?

1. I’m not sure why JTT+UL3+G was the best-fit model, but a simple run with option "-m JTT+UL3+G”, IQ-TREE ignores +UL3 in the model string. Thus it is equivalent to -m JTT+G.

2. Likewise, if you do -m UL3+JTT+G, then IQ-TREE ignores +JTT, resulting in UL3+G model instead.

3. If you want to really do a 4-class mixture model, then you need to specify this:

iqtree -m 'MIX{JTT,Q1_UL3,Q2_UL3,Q3_UL3}+G' ...

Note that the model string must be rounded by quote.

For other combination: you can look at the line like this in the log file when running with -m JTT+UL3+G:

Model JTT+UL3+G is alias for JTT+MIX{Q1_UL3:0.484340397,Q2_UL3:0.492780514,Q3_UL3:1.15597274}+G

And then rename the model string the way I described above.

B) Similarly, is this behaviour the same for other n-matrix models (UL2,EX2,EX3,EHO,EX_EHO)?

Yes, the same behavior for other mixture models you listed.

With CF4 on the other hand sharing behaving more like C10-60?

Yes, CF4 has a different behavior, just like C10 to C60.

Hope that helps,
Minh

Thank you!

Anthony

Bui Quang Minh
Center for Integrative Bioinformatics Vienna (CIBIV)
Campus Vienna Biocenter 5, VBC5, Ebene 1
A-1030 Vienna, Austria
Phone: ++43 1 4277 74326
Email: minh.bui (AT) univie.ac.at

Anthony Redmond

Dec 12, 2017, 6:24:01 AM12/12/17
to IQ-TREE
Dear Minh,

Sorry for the delay in my reply and thank you for your help.

Just a thought on your answers:

I'm delighted that IQ-tree allows the user to specify a model like 'MIX{JTT,Q1_UL3,Q2_UL3,Q3_UL3}+G', but it does not seem to be possible to compare the fit of a mixture of this type against a standard JTT+G, or UL3+G model with IQ-tree/ModelFinder. It might be interesting if something akin to this were possible in future versions as some alignment sites could presumably be better modelled in this way.

Thanks again for your help,

Anthony

Bui Quang Minh

Dec 12, 2017, 10:21:09 AM12/12/17
to iqt...@googlegroups.com, Anthony Redmond
Dear Anthony,

We are working towards a more flexible ModelFinder, i.e., allowing to test different kinds of mixture models. This will hopefully come with version 1.6.

Cheers, Minh

Anthony Redmond

Dec 12, 2017, 10:25:23 AM12/12/17
to IQ-TREE