Lady's slipper orchids

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 26, 2010, 1:24:48 PM9/26/10
to indiantreepix
Lady's slipper orchids, lady slipper orchids or slipper orchids are
the orchids in the subfamily Cypripedioidea, which includes the genera
Cypripedium, Mexipedium, Paphiopedilum, Phragmipedium and
Selenipedium. They are characterised by the slipper-shaped pouches
(modified labellums) of the flowers – the pouch traps insects so they
are forced to climb up past the staminode, behind which they collect
or deposit pollinia, thus fertilising the flower.

This subfamily has been considered by some to be a family
Cypripediaceae, separate from the Orchidaceae. The subfamily
Cypripedioideae is monophyletic and consists of five genera. Their
common features are two fertile diandrous (that is, with two perfect
stamens) anthers, a shield-shaped staminode and a saccate (sac-shaped)
lip.
The Cypripedium genus is found across much of North America, as well
as in parts of Europe and Asia. The state flower of Minnesota is the
Showy Lady's Slipper (Cypripedium reginae). The Lady's Slipper is also
the official provincial flower of Prince Edward Island, a province of
Canada.

Paphiopedilums are found in the tropical forests of southeast Asia
reaching as far north as southern China. Paphiopedilum is quite easy
to cultivate and therefore is popular among orchid enthusiasts. In
fact, overcollecting of this genus has caused some problems in its
original habitat.
Phragmipedium, found across northern South and Central America, is
also easy to cultivate as it requires lower temperatures than
Paphiopedilum, eliminating the need for a greenhouse in many areas.

The lady's slipper is also known in the United States of America as
the moccasin flower, from its resemblance to a shoe or moccasin.
The once thought extinct flower is now legally protected from
cultivation. This variety of orchid was spotted at a a golf course in
Lancashire England and daily patrols are made to ensure its safety.

Above's source: WIKIPEDIA

INDIA

In India the subfamily is represented by two genera, namely,
Cypripedium and Paphiopedilum, which inturn are represented by 5 (C.
elegans, C. guttatum, C. cordigerum, C. himalaicum, C. tibeticum) and
9 species (P. charlesworthii, P. insigne, P. druryi, P. villosum, P.
fairrieanum, P. spicerianum, P. hirsutissimum, P. venustum, P. wardii)
respectively. Of these only 3 species of Cypripediums are found in
Western Himalaya and one species of Paphiopedilum is found in Western
Ghats, i.e., Paphiopedilum druryi.

I will be sharing few pics of this subfamily in my next few mails.

Enjoy

Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Smita Raskar

Sep 26, 2010, 1:46:18 PM9/26/10
to Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Interesting.... i wish to know more about orchids..especially about column & different types of pollinia and stigma of orchid
 i have searched for lot but did not find any info. with illustration, wiil you plz tell us source or add info. with illustrations bcoz many people will like to know about orchids
--
Smita raskar
308 Disha Residency,

Shantanu

Sep 26, 2010, 2:43:40 PM9/26/10
to efloraofindia
Pankaj ji...
Very informative account on Lady's slipper orchids....
these lovely plants have always fascinated me.
Wud love to know more about them

Shantanu : )

Shantanu Bhattacharya.
B.Sc, M.Sc (Zoology)
University of Calcutta.
Teaching Faculty.
Dept. of Biology.
Vivekananda Mission School(ICSE).
Joka. Kolkata.

On Sep 26, 10:46 pm, Smita Raskar <smita.ras...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting.... i wish to know more about orchids..especially about column &
> different types of pollinia and stigma of orchid
>  i have searched for lot but did not find any info. with illustration, wiil
> you plz tell us source or add info. with illustrations bcoz many people will
> like to know about orchids
>
> Mob.9422379568- Hide quoted text -

mani nair

Sep 27, 2010, 1:28:09 AM9/27/10
to Shantanu, efloraofindia
Pankaj ji, very useful article on Lady slipper orchids.  Please send some information on Phalaenopsis which is very famous orchid and easy to grow.  I suggest you put the picture of orchids also for easy understanding.

Regards,

Mani.

cheriyan vj

Sep 27, 2010, 6:39:26 AM9/27/10
to indiantreepix

Sep 27, 2010, 6:33:58 AM9/27/10
to efloraofindia
Dear All, Dr Pankaj
Sheer coincidence! I have been meaning to send some pics of orchids growing in my house in Coonoor for identification and then this very informative account on slipper orchids. Am enclosing the picture of a Slipper orchid presently flowering in my garden. I would request its identification.
Thank you again Dr Pankaj for the very informative account of Slipper Orchids. I would also request for similar accounts of other orchids which would be greatly appreciated by all.
Sorry for the large size. Am not too good with photoshop.
regards
cheriyan

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 10:58 AM, mani nair <mani....@gmail.com> wrote:
DSC_0199.jpg

Smita Raskar

Sep 27, 2010, 6:46:21 AM9/27/10
to cheriyan vj, indiantreepix
Spectacular!!

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 27, 2010, 10:50:13 AM9/27/10
to cheriyan vj, efloraofindia
Dear Mr. Cheriyan,
Your plant is most probably a hybrid of Paphipedilum villosum.
If its not a hybrid then the person who is selling this is doing an
illegal business according to Wildlife Protection Act of India (1972).
The plant is enlisted in Schedule VI of WPA (1972).
Regards
Pankaj

cheriyan vj

Sep 27, 2010, 1:21:21 PM9/27/10
to Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Dear Dr Pankaj,
Oh, my! I do hope it is a hybrid. How do I know it is a hybrid or otherwise and if not what do I do with it now that it is in my possession.
cheriyan

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 27, 2010, 1:26:25 PM9/27/10
to cheriyan vj, efloraofindia
Keep it with you but for future do ask the vendor where he got it from
and do get proper name from him. Dont worry, no one will raid your
house, its just that we should avoid being a part of illegal trade of
orchids.
Regards
Pankaj

cheriyan vj

Sep 27, 2010, 1:34:02 PM9/27/10
to Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Dear Dr Pankaj,
Thank you and am grateful for the information.
cheriyan

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 12, 2021, 11:20:19 PM3/12/21
to efloraofindia