Names of Plants in India :: Hypericum mysurense Heyne ex Wight & Arn.

Dinesh Valke

Sep 22, 2014, 7:55:08 AM9/22/14
to efloraofindia
via Species‎ > ‎H‎ > ‎
Hypericum mysurense Heyne ex Wight & Arn. ... family: Hypericaceae
Hypericum mysurense Heyne ex Wight & Arn.

Flowers of India Discussions at efloraofindia more views in flickr more views on Google Earth

hy-PER-ee-kum -- Greek: hyper (above), eikon (picture) ... Dave's Botanary
my-sor-EN-see -- of or from Mysore, India ... Dave's Botanary

commonly known asMysore hypericumMysore St John's wort • Kannadaಚಿನ್ನದಾವರೆ chinnadavare • Malayalamഅവരംകോല avaram-kola • Marathiहायपेरी hayperi • Tamilஆவாரன avaran

botanical namesHypericum mysurense Wall. ex Wight & Arn. ... synonymsHypericum norysca Steud. • Norysca myrtifolia Spach • Norysca mysurensis (Wall. ex Wight & Arn.) Wight ... The Plant List (2013). Version 1.1.

Dinesh Valke

Mar 21, 2023, 6:47:18 AM3/21/23
to eFloraofIndia

Dinesh Valke

Mar 21, 2023, 6:52:38 AM3/21/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Hypericum mysurense Wall. ex Wight & Arn.

Hypericum mysurense Wall. ex Wight & Arn.

hy-PER-ee-kum -- Greek: hyper (above), eikon (picture) ... Dave's Botanary
my-sor-EN-see -- of or from the erstwhile princely state of Mysore, during British rule in India ... Dave's Botanary

commonly known as: Mysore hypericum, Mysore St John's wort • Kannada: ಚಿನ್ನದಾವರೆ chinnadavare • Malayalam: അവരം കോല avaram-kola • Marathi: हायपेरी hayperi • Tamil: ஆவாரன் avaran

botanical names: Hypericum mysurense Wall. ex Wight & Arn. ... homotypic synonyms: Norysca mysurensis (Wall. ex Wight & Arn.) Wight ... heterotypic synonyms: Hypericum norysca Steud. • Norysca myrtifolia Spach ... POWO
Bibliography / etymology
~~~~~ ENGLISH ~~~~~
Mysore hypericum, Mysore St John's wort
~~~~~ KANNADA ~~~~~
ಚಿನ್ನದಾವರೆ chinnadavare
~~~~~ MALAYALAM ~~~~~
അവരം കോല avaram-kola
  • Many thanks to VC Balakrishnan for help with this name ... facebook
~~~~~ MARATHI ~~~~~
हायपेरी hayperi
  • name coined, for want of name, by Shrikant Ingalhalikar, the author of Further Flowers of Sahyadri, the second among the three field guides to identify plants of northern Western Ghats of India, based on flowers
~~~~~ TAMIL ~~~~~
ஆவாரன் avaran
~~~~~ TELUGU ~~~~~
no given name / no name found
~~~~~ x ~~~~~

Sam Kuzhalanattu

Mar 21, 2023, 12:02:41 PM3/21/23
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Great work dear Dinesh ji,
I think there is a modification needed to Malayalam name അവരംകോല that is ആവാരം കുല Aavaram kula, or ആവാരങ്കുല Aavaramkula (joined), here ആവാരം Aavaram means a plant or a specific plant with name, and കുല kula means fruits' bunch or flower inflorescence (or group).  But 'കൊല kola' is a vernacular word used instead of കുല kula, only for speaking ín botanical means, and 'കോല' is not correct (കോല is a fish name in Malayalam?).  Otherwise 'കൊല kola' means murder,  and in this means it is correct spelling in Malayalam and English.  I think you should understand the same.
With regards, Sam.

Dinesh Valke

Mar 22, 2023, 1:09:05 AM3/22/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much, dear Sam ji, for critically validating the Malayalam name avaramkola.

The name (English spelling) is listed in India Biodiversity Portal, from where I picked it up and posted my query on facebook to get it in native script.

I request you to glance through my post at facebook, where VC Balakrishnan ji has confidently provided the name in native script, though in split words - അവരം കോല

In Hermann Gundert's "A Malayalam and English dictionary" ... I find കുല kula has 2 sets of meanings
1) bunch, cluster, etc.
and
2) killing, murder (C. T. കൊല, from കൊല്ക)... I do not know full-form of C.T.

Please note: killing, murder, etc. are often found in descriptive names of plants, especially medicinal, for example, they may literally translate in English to: pain-killer, stone-burster, growth-stopper, etc.

Thus അവരം കോല aavaram kola OR അവരം കുല aavaram kula ... may imply in some way killing or stopping of അവരം

In Hermann Gundert's "A Malayalam and English dictionary" ... I find അവരം aavaram has got following meaning / explanation

    അവരം avaram avaram S. (അവ) Lower, hinder. അവമം lowest.

    അവരജന്‍ = അനുജന്‍.

    അവരി see അമരി.

Thus അവരം കോല aavaram kola may imply killing of "lowness" OR something like that.

Let me know what you think,
else I am going revise my notes as following:
~~~~~ MALAYALAM ~~~~~
അവരം കോല aavaram-kola
    • Many thanks to VC Balakrishnan for help with this name ... facebook
    • or അവരം കുല aavaram kula ...many thanks to Sam Kuzhalanattu for help with this name ... efloraofindia

    Regards.
    Dinesh

    Dinesh Valke

    Mar 22, 2023, 2:36:40 AM3/22/23
    to indian...@googlegroups.com
    Kannada name added
    Malayalam name revised and note added ...

    Hypericum mysurense Wall. ex Wight & Arn.

    Hypericum mysurense Wall. ex Wight & Arn.

    hy-PER-ee-kum -- Greek: hyper (above), eikon (picture) ... Dave's Botanary
    my-sor-EN-see -- of or from the erstwhile princely state of Mysore, during British rule in India ... Dave's Botanary

    commonly known as: Mysore hypericum, Mysore St John's wort • Kannada: ಚಿನ್ನದಾವರೆ chinnadaavare, ಓನಾಯಿ onaayi • Malayalam: അവരം കോല aavaram kola • Marathi: हायपेरी hayperi • Tamil: ஆவாரன் avaran

    botanical names: Hypericum mysurense Wall. ex Wight & Arn. ... homotypic synonyms: Norysca mysurensis (Wall. ex Wight & Arn.) Wight ... heterotypic synonyms: Hypericum norysca Steud. • Norysca myrtifolia Spach ... POWO
    Bibliography / etymology
    ~~~~~ ENGLISH ~~~~~
    Mysore hypericum, Mysore St John's wort
    ~~~~~ KANNADA ~~~~~
    ಚಿನ್ನದಾವರೆ chinnadaavare
      • Many thanks to Pushpalatha Mudalamane for help with meaning of this name ... facebook ... ಚಿನ್ನದಾವರೆ chinnadaavare = golden lotus
      ಓನಾಯಿ onaayi
      ~~~~~ MALAYALAM ~~~~~
      അവരം കോല aavaram kola
        • Many thanks to VC Balakrishnan for help with this name ... facebook
        • or അവരം കുല aavaram kula ... many thanks to Sam Kuzhalanattu for help with this name ... efloraofindia
        ~~~~~ MARATHI ~~~~~
        हायपेरी hayperi
        • name coined, for want of name, by Shrikant Ingalhalikar, the author of Further Flowers of Sahyadri, the second among the three field guides to identify plants of northern Western Ghats of India, based on flowers
        ~~~~~ TAMIL ~~~~~
        ஆவாரன் avaran
        ~~~~~ TELUGU ~~~~~
        no given name / no name found
        ~~~~~ x ~~~~~

        Dinesh Valke

        Mar 22, 2023, 5:55:10 AM3/22/23
        to indian...@googlegroups.com
        Malayalam name reverted.
        Sam ji agrees with VC Balakrishnan ji's version of the name.

        Hypericum mysurense Wall. ex Wight & Arn.

        Hypericum mysurense Wall. ex Wight & Arn.

        hy-PER-ee-kum -- Greek: hyper (above), eikon (picture) ... Dave's Botanary
        my-sor-EN-see -- of or from the erstwhile princely state of Mysore, during British rule in India ... Dave's Botanary

        commonly known as: Mysore hypericum, Mysore St John's wort • Kannada: ಚಿನ್ನದಾವರೆ chinnadaavare, ಓನಾಯಿ onaayi • Malayalam: അവരം കോല avaram-kola • Marathi: हायपेरी hayperi • Tamil: ஆவாரன் avaran

        botanical names: Hypericum mysurense Wall. ex Wight & Arn. ... homotypic synonyms: Norysca mysurensis (Wall. ex Wight & Arn.) Wight ... heterotypic synonyms: Hypericum norysca Steud. • Norysca myrtifolia Spach ... POWO
        Bibliography / etymology
        ~~~~~ ENGLISH ~~~~~
        Mysore hypericum, Mysore St John's wort
        ~~~~~ KANNADA ~~~~~
        ಚಿನ್ನದಾವರೆ chinnadaavare
        • Many thanks to Pushpalatha Mudalamane for help with meaning of this name ... facebook ... ಚಿನ್ನದಾವರೆ chinnadavare = golden lotus
        ಓನಾಯಿ onaayi
        ~~~~~ MALAYALAM ~~~~~
        അവരം കോല avaram-kola
        • Many thanks to VC Balakrishnan for help with this name ... facebook
        ~~~~~ MARATHI ~~~~~
        हायपेरी hayperi
        • name coined, for want of name, by Shrikant Ingalhalikar, the author of Further Flowers of Sahyadri, the second among the three field guides to identify plants of northern Western Ghats of India, based on flowers
        ~~~~~ TAMIL ~~~~~
        ஆவாரன் avaran
        ~~~~~ TELUGU ~~~~~
        no given name / no name found
        ~~~~~ x ~~~~~

        Gurcharan Singh

        Mar 22, 2023, 5:14:16 PM3/22/23
        to eFloraofIndia
        Great contribution Dinesh ji.

        Dinesh Valke

        Mar 23, 2023, 2:04:05 AM3/23/23
        to indian...@googlegroups.com
        Thanks very much, Gurcharan ji, for the appreciation.
        Regards.
        Dinesh