Plant for Kodaicanal 281109 – NSD 106

Nayan Singh

Nov 28, 2009, 12:08:38 PM11/28/09

Dec 27, 2009, 1:17:13 AM12/27/09

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Kodai canal.jpg
Kodai canal 1.jpg

J.M. Garg

Feb 10, 2010, 12:22:32 AM2/10/10
to efloraofindia, Nayan Singh, Gurcharan Singh-sify, satish pardeshi, Shrikant Ingalhalikar

Forwarding again for Id assistance pl.

Feb 10, 2010, 1:15:51 AM2/10/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Nayan Singh, Gurcharan Singh-sify, satish pardeshi, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
 This is likely Montanoa hibiscifolia or possibly M. grandiflora. They are both "Tree Daises", native from Mexico through Central America, often in cloud forests at high elevations.

 The latter is occasionally used as an ornamental in coastal California and Florida, USA.

 The former is very similar, but infrequently planted due to its weedy tendencies; it has escaped in Hawaii and is considered noxious there.. It should probably be monitored and possibly eradicated especially near flowing water sources; many fertile seeds can be generated in one year.

M. grandiflora:
http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=15316

M. hibiscifolia:
http://www.hear.org/species/montanoa_hibiscifolia/

http://www.eol.org/pages/503465#image-1991590

Regards--
Ken Greby.

Feb 10, 2010, 1:30:01 AM2/10/10
to Kenneth Greby, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Nayan Singh, Gurcharan Singh-sify, satish pardeshi, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
RE: Montanoa:

I know that M. grandiflora flowers as the days just begin to lengthen in early winter in CA and FL, USA. Its flowers are vanilla scented.

  I'm not certain if M. hibiscifolia flowering is photoperiodic or not, nor do I know if it is similarly-scented. Here are many more pics of it at this link:

   http://www.hear.org/starr/plants/images/species/?q=montanoa+hibiscifolia

 Regards--
 Ken.

Feb 10, 2010, 7:01:30 AM2/10/10
to Kenneth Greby, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Nayan Singh, Gurcharan Singh-sify, satish pardeshi, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Dear Kenneth
You seemed to have solved identification of two plants. To me the Plant from Nandi Hills, Karnataka, forwarded by Garg ji (25383 on 9-2-10) also appears to be the same.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Kenneth Greby

Feb 10, 2010, 8:12:50 AM2/10/10
to Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Nayan Singh, Gurcharan Singh-sify, satish pardeshi, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Dr.Singh--

 I concur; 25383 is also a Montanoa species, though I can't claim the species ID with certainty. I'm not an expert in this genus, though I have grown or propagated three species over the years. M. hibiscifolia is not one of them though, and details should be compared to photos and technical descriptions before giving a certain specific ID. From what I've read of its noxious habit, as well as its tolerance of warmer areas (Hawaii), it seems likely.

 M. grandiflora is a worthwhile garden plant, though rangy, for large spots. It is a harbinger plant that helps "turn the corner" of shortening days; bright, fragrant flowers in the dead of winter can cheer like few others can. In my experience in CA and FL it has never volunteered, but grows very easily from softwood cuttings.

 And sorry I missed 25383, amongst others. Lately I've had a busy schedule, so emails get saved and often not reviewed. I've been trying to get more involved again as I can in last week or so. To be honest, I was rather surprised to see any larger Montanoa species so far away from Mexico; they are not particularly common here in CA or FL.

 And I do get concerned when potential escape-threats gain footholds in far-flung places. If I can help anyone prevent a threatening invader species with just a little information, maybe some native species can hold on for a little longer. I see so many species native to your country, some showy and some mundane, that I've seen through this site for the first time. I'd hate to hear that some of them become overrun with nonnatives that are unknown to observant people there until it is too late. Florida's Everglades, among other areas in the US, are so thoroughly altered by invasives that I never saw many of the native species. Future generations will have even less.

 Regards--
 Ken.

Dec 17, 2020, 10:16:52 AM12/17/20
to efloraofindia
Montanoa bipinnatifida (Kunth) K.Koch
Thank you
Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

Dec 17, 2020, 11:05:43 AM12/17/20
to efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju, Nayan Singh

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

JM Garg

Dec 24, 2020, 5:26:32 AM12/24/20
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dec 24, 2020, 5:32:59 AM12/24/20
to efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju, Nayan Singh, Tabish
Kodai canal.jpg
Kodai canal 1.jpg

Saroj Kasaju

Dec 24, 2020, 6:06:38 AM12/24/20
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Nayan Singh, Tabish
Basic difference I have noticed in grandiflora is petals are slightly wider and 7/8 in numbers
and leaves are smaller in size whereas in bipinnatifida petals are slimmer and numbers are more than 12
and leaves bigger are longer .
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

Dec 24, 2020, 9:36:42 AM12/24/20
to Saroj Kasaju, efloraofindia, Nayan Singh, Tabish
From where, Saroj ji?

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Saroj Kasaju

Dec 24, 2020, 10:06:47 AM12/24/20
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Nayan Singh, Tabish
Different images in net. .
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Gurcharan Singh

May 31, 2021, 4:27:41 AM5/31/21
to efloraofindia
Forwarding for ID
Distributed as Montanoa species
Group discussion at

Gurcharan Singh

May 31, 2021, 4:28:35 AM5/31/21
to indiantreepix, Nayan Singh
Forwarding for ID
Distributed as Montanoa species
Group discussion at

May 31, 2021, 11:39:48 AM5/31/21
to efloraindia, Nayan Singh
More close to Montanoa bipinnatifida (Kunth) K.Koch !
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju