Blue Ipomea for Identification

Selvalakshmi Selvaraj

Sep 13, 2010, 10:04:24 AM9/13/10

Sep 13, 2010, 10:22:44 AM9/13/10

Tabish

Sep 13, 2010, 11:20:50 AM9/13/10
to efloraofindia
Blue Dawn Flower (Ipomoea indica)
- Tabish

On Sep 13, 7:22 pm, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ipomoea indica I suppose
> Tanay
>
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 7:34 PM, Selvalakshmi Selvaraj
> <nevath...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > plant sub erect, Stem with thorns ,
>
> > --
> > Selvalakshmi S.
> > Doctoral Scholar,
> > Bharathiar University,
> > Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu.
>
> --
> *Tanay Bose*

Padmini Raghavan

Sep 13, 2010, 1:18:26 PM9/13/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Is this the same as this flower I saw growing in a vacant plot in Bangalore? However, this one was a creeper.
Please confirm.
Thanks,
Padmini Raghavan.

Bangalore +Nandi Hills 060.jpg
Bangalore +Nandi Hills 064.jpg

Selvalakshmi Selvaraj

Sep 13, 2010, 11:01:46 PM9/13/10
to Padmini Raghavan, Tabish, efloraofindia
No Padmini ji

The plant I have posted is having Puplish colour in the Stem (Completely) and leaves (in leaf veins) and dense prickles in the stem. The leaves are smooth and tomentose in the upper surface and rough in the lower surface. and the lower portion of the stem is erect (Sub- erect).

Ron_Convolvulaceae

Nov 9, 2010, 4:17:44 AM11/9/10
to efloraofindia

On Sep 13, 10:01 pm, Selvalakshmi Selvaraj <nevath...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Ipomoea parasitica

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/107607/

best regards,

Ron

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 9, 2010, 10:42:48 AM11/9/10
to Ron_Convolvulaceae, efloraofindia
Woody plants and thorns don't go with I. indica.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Tabish

Nov 9, 2010, 2:51:09 PM11/9/10
to efloraofindia
I think this is Ipomoea muricata, which has purplish stem covered with
prickles
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Purple%20Moonflower.html
Probably the current name is Ipomoea capillacea - have to check that
out.
Cheers!
- Tabish

On Nov 9, 8:42 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Woody plants and thorns don't go with I. indica.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 9, 2010, 5:37:08 PM11/9/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Ron
Sorry I missed your earlier reply. My reply was to negate this plant being I. indica. Yes both flowers and leaves match I. parasitica.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Tabish

Nov 10, 2010, 12:27:44 AM11/10/10
to efloraofindia
I too failed to see Ron's suggestion of Ipomoea parasitica. Blue
flowers with a yellow center agrees well with Ipomoea parasitica. And
reddish stems with rough projections too. Looks like Ipomoea
parasitica has not been considered in India, being a non-native plant.
It seems to have naturalized here. Makes me wonder if the flower
displayed as Ipomoea turbinata in Flowers of Sahyadri, could actually
be Ipomoea parasitica... just thinking aloud.
- Tabish

On Nov 10, 3:37 am, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ron
> Sorry I missed your earlier reply. My reply was to negate this plant being
> I. indica. Yes both flowers and leaves match I. parasitica.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor

VISHNU R

Nov 10, 2010, 12:34:25 AM11/10/10
to Selvalakshmi Selvaraj, efloraofindia
it is
       Ipomoea muricata, Common name: Purple Moon flower
Family: Convolvulaceae (Morning glory family)

Vishnu R
College of Forestry
Thrissur

Ron_Convolvulaceae

Nov 19, 2010, 3:50:14 AM11/19/10
to efloraofindia

On Nov 10, 12:34 am, VISHNU R <vishnu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> it is
>        *Ipomoea muricata*, Common name: Purple Moon flower
> Family: *Convolvulaceae* (Morning glory family)
>
> Vishnu R
> College of Forestry
> Thrissur

Hello everyone,

The photos that I have linked to in the PlantFiles at
Davesgarden (please have a look at them) show the details that I
thought were important enough to enable the differentiation from
I.muricata

Ipomoea muricata is commonly confused with Ipomoea parasitica as both
have very similar corolla shape ,spiny stems and reflexed fruit but
the corolla coloration for Ipomoea parasitica is decidedly different ,
especially if you have the opportunity to have examined living
specimens of both species.
The outer sepals of Ipomoea muricata project outward horizontally at
the tips but the sepals of Ipomoea parasitica do not...

Here are some additional relevant links to nomenclature and structural
features

Ipomoea muricata synonymy causes confusion with Ipomoea capillacea as
a synonym and as a legitimate different species
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxlist.pl?Ipomoea%20muricata

Ipomoea muricata
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?402175

Ipomoea muricata in the PlantFiles showing fuchsia coloration in the
tube and throat area - the tube is elongated typical of moth
pollinated night blooming species
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/163635/

Ipomoea parasitica side-view of corolla - tube is wide typical of
morning blooming species pollinated by bees and other daytime
pollinators
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/164743/

Ipomoea parasitica showing yellow in tube characteristic of all
species in section Tricolor
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/164742/

Ipomoea capillacea
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?433523

Ipomoea capillacea in New Mexico
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3016/2908420059_472b057783_z.jpg?zz=1

regards,

Ron

Parjanya guru

Nov 19, 2010, 5:32:44 AM11/19/10
to Ron_Convolvulaceae, efloraofindia

.. Does the plant have a synonym - I.perlonga..??

  Parjanya Guru
 +919738723392

Ron_Convolvulaceae

Nov 20, 2010, 12:12:01 AM11/20/10
to efloraofindia

On Nov 19, 5:32 am, Parjanya guru <gurooji1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> .. Does the plant have a synonym - *I.perlonga..??*
>

> >   Parjanya Guru
> >  +919738723392

Hello,

Yes, Ipomoea perlonga is a synonym of Ipomoea parasitica,

The photos of Ipomoea parasitica in the PlantFiles are all from my
private germplasm collection and were photographed with a particular
view to clarify and document the important details for IDentifying
ipomoea parasitica.

I hope they may ultimately prove to be useful.

There are many species that originated in the New World which have
naturalized in the Old World and vice-verse...so , it is important
that non-native species be considered when IDentifying anything
growing in a tropical or semi-tropical area as these type of climatic
environments are conducive to very many species to thrive within ..

I am personally more familiar with the characteristics of those
species that originated and occur on my side of the 'pond' but share
what i may have to offer on Old World species as well...

Thanks for your question(s)

regards,

Ron

Parjanya guru

Nov 23, 2010, 7:16:27 AM11/23/10
to Ron_Convolvulaceae, efloraofindia

Thanks Ron for a deatiled view on the subject..
 Let me share a storey on the same..
I have a paper of Dr.S. D. Biju reporting I. prlonga  first time for India (RHEEDEA). At the same time, I believe, there's another paper by Father Santapau on the record of  I. parasitica  from India for first time.
I wonder which could be the valid publication recording  this plant's  occurance FIRST in India.???
:)
--

  Parjanya Guru
 +919738723392

Ron_Convolvulaceae

Nov 24, 2010, 6:46:42 AM11/24/10
to efloraofindia

On Nov 23, 7:16 am, Parjanya guru <gurooji1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Ron for a deatiled view on the subject..
>  Let me share a storey on the same..
> I have a paper of Dr.S. D. Biju reporting *I. prlonga*  first time for India
> (RHEEDEA). At the same time, I believe, there's another paper by Father
> Santapau on the record of*  I. parasitica*  from India for first time.
> I wonder which could be the valid publication recording  this plant's
> occurance FIRST in India.???
> :)
> --
>
>   Parjanya Guru
>  +919738723392

Parjanya ji,

I haven't easy access to the papers that you mentioned and am
unable to shed any additional light on your questions regarding these
precedence of the material in the publications you
mentioned ....perhaps some of the others may be able to clarify,

regards,

Ron

Ron_Convolvulaceae

Nov 24, 2010, 10:18:44 AM11/24/10
to efloraofindia

On Nov 19, 3:50 am, Ron_Convolvulaceae <and...@optonline.net> wrote:
> On Nov 10, 12:34 am, VISHNU R <vishnu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > it is
> >        *Ipomoea muricata*, Common name: Purple Moon flower
> > Family: *Convolvulaceae* (Morning glory family)
>
> > Vishnu R
> > College of Forestry
> > Thrissur
>
> Hello everyone,
>
>       The photos that I have linked to in the PlantFiles at
> Davesgarden (please have a look at them) show the details that I
> thought were important enough to enable the differentiation from
> I.muricata
>
> Ipomoea muricata is commonly confused with Ipomoea parasitica as both
> have very similar corolla shape ,spiny stems and reflexed fruit but
> the corolla coloration for Ipomoea parasitica is decidedly different ,
> especially if you have the opportunity to have examined living
> specimens of both species.
> The outer sepals of Ipomoea muricata project outward  horizontally at
> the tips but the sepals of Ipomoea parasitica do not...
>
> Here are some additional relevant links to nomenclature and structural
> features
>
> Ipomoea muricata synonymy causes confusion with Ipomoea capillacea as
> a synonym and as a legitimate different specieshttp://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxlist.pl?Ipomoea%20muricata
>
> Ipomoea muricatahttp://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?402175
>
> Ipomoea muricata in the PlantFiles showing fuchsia coloration in the
> tube and throat area - the tube is elongated typical of moth
> pollinated night blooming specieshttp://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/163635/
>
> Ipomoea parasitica side-view of corolla - tube is wide typical of
> morning blooming species pollinated by bees and other daytime
> pollinatorshttp://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/164743/
>
> Ipomoea parasitica showing yellow in tube characteristic of all
> species in section Tricolorhttp://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/164742/
>
> Ipomoea capillaceahttp://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?433523
>
> Ipomoea capillacea in New Mexicohttp://farm4.static.flickr.com/3016/2908420059_472b057783_z.jpg?zz=1
>
> regards,
>
> Ron

P.S. - previous thread where Ipomoea muricata is confused with Ipomoea
parasitica
https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/6a007613d2aadfe8?hl=en#

Ron_Convolvulaceae

Nov 25, 2010, 1:38:18 AM11/25/10
to efloraofindia
> P.S. - previous threads where Ipomoea muricata is confused with Ipomoea
parasitica

Ipomoea parasitica - December 2009
Nayan Singh = I.muricata
Vijayasankar Raman = Ipomoea parasitica
http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/6a007613d2aadfe8?hl=en#

Ipomoea parasitica - November 2009
http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/8aad6e919c40355e?hl=en
http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/2a48ce688963fc9a?hl=en

Ipomoea parasitica - September 2009
http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/6c61de535024362b/cfc51a5059dc9b1f?hl=en

Saroj Kumar Kasaju

Jan 11, 2021, 7:12:59 AM1/11/21
to neva...@gmail.com, and...@optonline.net, guroo...@gmail.com, vish...@gmail.com, tanay...@gmail.com, tab...@gmail.com, pad...@gmail.com, sing...@gmail.com, jmg...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Ipomoea muricata (L.) Jacq. looks good.Ipomoea muricata
Excerpt from FoI :Ipomoea muricata (L.) Jacq. - Stems are herbaceous and rough due to the presence of many minute speculate protuberances growing from the epidermis.
                               :Ipomoea parasitica (Kunth) G.Don - Stems are trailing for several metres and climbing over low bushes, reddish, muriculate, hairless or velvety.
Thank you
Saroj Kasaju

JM Garg

Jan 17, 2021, 5:16:15 AM1/17/21
to indian...@googlegroups.com, kasaj...@gmail.com
I think more closer to Ipomoea parasitica  as per images herein.

Aug 10, 2021, 8:22:15 AM8/10/21
to efloraofindia
Forwarding for ID

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 10, 2021, 8:23:12 AM8/10/21
to indiantreepix, neva...@gmail.com
Forwarding for ID

Aug 17, 2021, 8:42:02 AM8/17/21
to efloraofindia, neva...@gmail.com
Yellow throated morning glory...Ipomoea parasitica.