climbing Ficus

satish phadke

Oct 1, 2008, 11:05:10 AM10/1/08
to indiantreepix Indian
After writing about family Moraceae it reminded me of our visit to Someshwar wildlife sanctuary in Karnataka last year. Just near the entrance a botanist accompanying us showed us this so called climbing ficus and told us that it is the only climbing species of ficus.I want opinion from members about this. If anybody has any other information I would like to know it.
Thanks in advance
Satish
climbing ficus.jpg

Kenneth Greby

Oct 1, 2008, 11:23:35 AM10/1/08
to indiantreepix Indian, satish phadke
Satish--

 I'm not sure that that is Ficus pumila, the most common climbing fig. There may be more than one climbing species, though they are in the minority.

Regards--
Ken Greby
Palmetto Bay, Florida USA

sibda...@gmail.com

Oct 1, 2008, 11:39:23 AM10/1/08
to indiantreepix
It seems different from the climbing Fig- Ficus pumila. the climber in
the picture seems to have winged petiole- although not very clear from
the photo

On Oct 1, 8:23 pm, Kenneth Greby <fstf...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Satish--
>
>  I'm not sure that that is Ficus pumila, the most common climbing fig. There may be more than one climbing species, though they are in the minority.
>
> Regards--
> Ken Greby
> Palmetto Bay, Florida USA
>
> --- On Wed, 10/1/08, satish phadke <phadke.sat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> From: satish phadke <phadke.sat...@gmail.com>

Neil Soares

Oct 1, 2008, 12:45:15 PM10/1/08
to satish phadke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Satish,
It is Ficus pumila. Some people use it to cover the entire walls of their bungalows.
Regards,
Neil.

Oct 1, 2008, 1:55:35 PM10/1/08
to drneil...@yahoo.com, satish phadke, indian...@googlegroups.com
I had this in one of my earlier homes. A friend had presented one plant in a large earthen pot. It had grown and covered one wall.Then came Diwali days. I was in the office, and the labourers who paint the wall coolly removed it from the wall!!! It could never recover after that onslaught. But I remember broder leaves (not bigger), and not so narrow as has been shown in the current picture.
Yes! this creeper can work beautifully in place of ivy in warmer climes.
akbhatt

Kenneth Greby

Oct 1, 2008, 10:09:49 PM10/1/08
to indiantreepix, sibda...@gmail.com
Another vining Ficus species to consider is F. villosa. Here are a couple of pictures:

 http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j174/boogaloo123/Foliage%20plants/Ficusvillosa1.jpg

 http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/175342/

Again, I'm not sure that it is this, but the foliage, from the picture submitted, does look somewhat different than the juvenile foliage of the F. pumila that I am used to seeing here in the US.

Regards--
Ken Greby
Palmetto Bay, FL USA

sibda...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2008, 2:14:50 AM10/2/08
to indiantreepix
Anandji,
you should be thankful to the labourers who removed the creeper figs
from the wall. It is a lovely creeper no doubt, but it is a Ficus sp.
Like all Ficus plants, they send their roots through cracks (sometimes
they induce the cracks ) in the host plants or buildings on which they
grow. Unlike Ivy, clinging roots of creeper fig are not only for
anchorage. The roots grow in girth in no time and cause much damage to
their 'hosts'. Most of our uncared old buildings, and Temples have
been ruined by its cousins, particularly by F. religiosa , F.
bengalensis, F. glomerata. F.pumila is also known destructive ,but
only to a lesser extent.

On Oct 1, 10:55 pm, "Anand Kumar Bhatt" <anandkbh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had this in one of my earlier homes. A friend had presented one plant in a
> large earthen pot. It had grown and covered one wall.Then came Diwali days.
> I was in the office, and the labourers who paint the wall coolly removed it
> from the wall!!! It could never recover after that onslaught. But I remember
> broder leaves (not bigger), and not so narrow as has been shown in the
> current picture.
> Yes! this creeper can work beautifully in place of ivy in warmer climes.
> akbhatt
>

> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 10:15 PM, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Satish,
> >  It is Ficus pumila. Some people use it to cover the entire walls of their
> > bungalows.
> >           Regards,
> >            Neil.

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Oct 2, 2008, 2:27:54 AM10/2/08
to sibda...@gmail.com, indiantreepix
I fully agree with the devastating nature of the ficus trees on buildings. To add insult to injury, people in North India have a deep superstition that cutting down ficus religiosa and F. bengalensis brings ill-luck to the family. During her lifetime my grandmother used to say that my grandfather died because he had a peepal tree cut (he died when my father was 10, and one of my uncles is posthumous). thanks for telling me about evil effects on buildings of F. pumila. I was thinking of covering at least one wall in my house (which I hope is going to be the last of my life) with pumila..
thanks again,
akbhatt

Mahadeswara Swamy

Oct 2, 2008, 10:34:36 AM10/2/08
to satish phadke, indiantreepix Indian
I am sure  it is not Ficus pumila.  I have seen many species of  Ficus pumila.  It imay be some other species.

Oct 3, 2008, 1:02:01 AM10/3/08
to Mahadeswara Swamy, satish phadke, indiantreepix Indian
Hello,

I am afraid, it doesn't look like Ficus pumila, but rather like Pothos, probably P. scandens.

-Swapna

Dr. Salim Ali Chawk
Mumbai - 400 001.
India.

J.M. Garg

Oct 16, 2008, 10:34:25 PM10/16/08
to Swapna Prabhu, Mahadeswara Swamy, satish phadke, indiantreepix Indian
Here are links for Pothos scandens (May I request Satish ji to pl. confirm the final ID):http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=12&taxon_id=200027309 (Habitat & Distribution), http://www.ganeshvilla.com/aroids/pothos_scandens.htm (some details), http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?29539 (synonyms, range etc.)

satish phadke

Oct 17, 2008, 9:47:20 AM10/17/08
to J.M. Garg, Swapna Prabhu, Mahadeswara Swamy, indiantreepix Indian
It is not Pothos.
I think my picture is not very clear for identification. So I don't want to go to conclusion unless I have a good specimen photograph.I may request some of my friends who might be visiting that place again to take the photograph of the plant with details.
This post was just to have discussion on climbing ficus..........and to get any good photograph from any of the members.
Satish

Saroj Kumar Kasaju

Dec 11, 2020, 7:35:23 AM12/11/20
to efloraofindia
I think it is Pothos sp. could be scandens . Please look at the double leaf patter.
Thank you
Saroj Kasaju

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 22, 2021, 8:00:27 AM4/22/21
to efloraofindia
Forwarding for ID
Distributed as Pothos scandens ?
Group discussion at

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 22, 2021, 8:01:23 AM4/22/21
to indiantreepix, phadke...@gmail.com
Forwarding for ID
Distributed as Pothos scandens ?
Group discussion at

Apr 27, 2021, 5:13:20 AM4/27/21
to Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Appears to be Pothos scandens, as earlier suggested by Saroj ji.