Names of Plants in India :: Miliusa tomentosa (Roxb.) J. Sinclair

Dinesh Valke

Feb 26, 2013, 11:24:41 AM2/26/13
via Species‎ > ‎M‎ > ‎

Miliusa tomentosa (Roxb.) J. Sinclair ... family: Annonaceae

Miliusa tomentosa (Roxb.) J. Sinclair

Flowers of India Discussions at efloraofindia more views in flickr more views on Google Earth

¿ mil-ee-u-suh ? -- named for Josephus Milius Vottolinus, author of De Hortorum Cultura ... Flora of Australia Online
toh-men-TOH-suh -- covered with fine, matted hairs ... Dave's Botanary

commonly known as: tomentose miliusaGujarati: ઉંભ umbhHindi: हूम hoom, करी kariKannada: ಕರಿ ಹೆಸ್ಸರೆ kari hessare, ವುಂಬೆ wumbKonkani: हुम humMalayalam: കാനക്കൈത kanakkaitaMarathi: हुम्ब humb, थोस्का thoskaTelugu: బర్రె దూడుగ barre duduga, బుడ్డ దూడుగ budda duduga, గాడిద లొట్ట gadida lotta, పెద్ద చిలకదూడుగ pedda chiluka duduga

botanical names: Miliusa tomentosa (Roxb.) J. Sinclair ... synonyms: Uvaria tomentosa Roxb. (basionym) • Saccopetalum tomentosum (Roxb.) Hook. f. & Thomson ... NPGS / GRIN

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Photographed at Tungareshwar Wildlife Sanctuary on 23 FEB 13
Many thanks to Radha Veach and Gurumurthi Hegde for the ID.

More views during the same day:

Hoom (Hindi: हूम) Humb (Marathi: हुम्ब) Hum (Konkani: हुम) Umbh (Gujarati: ઉંભ) Kanakkaita (Malayalam: കാനക്കൈത)

Regards.
Dinesh

Nidhan Singh

Feb 25, 2013, 7:52:03 PM2/25/13
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Very very beautiful Dinesh Ji..thanks..
--
Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Assistant Professor
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

Prashant Awale

Feb 25, 2013, 11:37:22 PM2/25/13
to Nidhan Singh, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Nice find and beautiful photographs. I remember spotting one of the
Humb tree at Karnala but never seen it flowering. Thanks Dinesh for
sharing.
Regards
Prashant
> --
>
> ---

Dinesh Valke

Feb 26, 2013, 1:17:50 AM2/26/13
to Dr Santhosh Kumar, efloraofindia, Radha Veach, Gurumurthi Hegde
Many many thanks Santhosh ji.
I am not disappointed as much as I am afraid that I am messing up my posts with mistakes; not good for the Group's database.
I hope I am not going to earn the distinction of making maximum mistakes !!

I am sure there is mistake which your keen eye has detected.

Calling Radha and Gurumurthi ji to help me know the ID they had provided during the trip to TWLS.

Regards.
Dinesh

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 10:18 AM, Dr Santhosh Kumar <drsanth...@gmail.com> wrote:
DineshJi,

Sorry to disappointing you. I doubted mixing up in your photographs. The leaf underside, leaf and fruits photographs are definitely not Miliusa tomentosa or Annonaceae. It must be Lauraceae!!!

Kindly check.

Dr E S Santhosh Kumar

On 25 February 2013 23:35, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Views of the fruiting and flowering during the same day:

Miliusa tomentosa (Roxb.) J. Sinclair Humb (Marathi: हुम्ब) Tomentose Miliusa Gadida Lotta (Telugu: గాడిద లొట్ట) Kanakkaita (Malayalam: കാനക്കൈത) Hum (Konkani: हुम) Kari Hessare (Kannada: ಕರಿ ಹೆಸ್ಸರೆ) Miliusa tomentosa (Roxb.) J. Sinclair

Regards.
Dinesh

--

---

SANTHOSH
Dr. E.S. Santhosh Kumar MSc, PhD, FIAT, FLS (on leave for 2 years)
Jawaharlal Nehru Tropical Botanic Garden and Research Institute, Palode
Thiruvananthapuram-695562
Kerala
India
www.drsanthosh.wetpaint.com

Presently working for the British Aerospace, Riyadh, KSA
NB: Please consider your environmental responsibility! Ask yourself before printing this email !!!

Satish Phadke

Feb 26, 2013, 2:04:07 AM2/26/13
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Thanks for showing the beautiful images of an Annonaceae member.
Dr Satish Phadke

Dinesh Valke

Feb 26, 2013, 11:18:05 AM2/26/13
to Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Many thanks Satish ji for the appreciation.

Santhosh ji, the mistaken photos are of Alseodaphne semicarpifolia. Many thanks for pointing to the error.

Dear friends, I will be removing the photos with mistaken identity from the database.

Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Feb 26, 2013, 11:28:20 AM2/26/13
to Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Dear friends,
The initial post now has only the relevant photos (of Miliusa tomentosa).
Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Sep 25, 2023, 12:20:55 PM9/25/23
to eFloraofIndia

Mandru Ramesh Chowdary

Sep 25, 2023, 12:30:35 PM9/25/23
to efloraindia
Great work Dinesh sir

Dinesh Valke

Sep 25, 2023, 12:35:51 PM9/25/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Miliusa tomentosa (Roxb.) Finet & Gagnep.

Miliusa tomentosa (Roxb.) Finet & Gagnep.

¿ mil-ee-u-suh ? -- named for Pierre Bernard Milius, French naval officer; joined the expedition of Nicolas Baudin ... Wikipedia

toh-men-TOH-suh -- covered with fine, matted hairs ... Dave's Botanary

commonly known as: hoomGujarati: ઉંભ umbh, ઉંભો umbho, ઉંફ umph • Hindi: हूम hoom, करी kari • Kannada: ಕರಿ ಹೆಸ್ಸರೆ kari hessare, ಕಾಲಾದ್ರಿ kaalaadri, ವುಂಬೆ wumb • Konkani: हूम hoom, व्हूंब vhumb • Malayalam: കൈതമാവ് kaithamaavu, കാനക്കൈത kanakkaita, തവിടി thavidi • Marathi: हुम्ब humb, थोस्का thoska • Odia: ଗନ୍ଧପଳାଶ gandhapalash, ଗନ୍ଧଶାଳିଆ gandhasalia • Rajasthani: करी अम्बिया kari ambiya • Tamil: பெரியவாய் periyavaay • Telugu: బర్రె దూడుగ barre duduga, బుడ్డ దూడుగ budda duduga, గాడిద లొట్ట gadida lotta, పెద్ద చిలకదూడుగ pedda chiluka duduga

botanical names: Miliusa tomentosa (Roxb.) Finet & Gagnep. ... homotypic synonyms: Saccopetalum tomentosum (Roxb.) Hook.f. & Thomson • Uvaria tomentosa Roxb. ... POWO
Bibliography / etymology
Links listed as references in the notes below, may not remain valid permanently. Portals / websites have a tendency to re-organize / revise their content, leading to change in URLs of pages in their site. Some sites may even close down at their own will.
~~~~~ ENGLISH ~~~~~
written and spoken widely, in most parts of India
hoom
~~~~~ GUJARATI ~~~~~
written in: Gujarati (ગુજરાતી) ... spoken in: Gujarat, Dadra & Nagar Haveli, Daman & Diu
ઉંભ umbh
ઉંભો umbho, ઉંફ umph
~~~~~ HINDI ~~~~~
written in: Devanagari (हिन्दी) ... spoken in: Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan
हूम hoom
करी kari
~~~~~ KANNADA ~~~~~
written in: Kannada (ಕನ್ನಡ) ... spoken in: Karnataka
ಕರಿ ಹೆಸ್ಸರೆ kari hessare
ಕಾಲಾದ್ರಿ kaalaadri
ವುಂಬೆ wumb
~~~~~ KONKANI ~~~~~
written in: Devanagari, Kannada, Malayalam, Urdu, Roman ... spoken in: Goa, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Kerala
हूम hoom, व्हूंब vhumb
~~~~~ MALAYALAM ~~~~~
written in: Malayalam (മലയാളം) ... spoken in: Kerala
കാനക്കൈത kaanakkaitha
കൈതമാവ് kaithamaavu, തവിടി thavidi
~~~~~ MARATHI ~~~~~
written in: Devanagari (मराठी) ... spoken in: Maharashtra, Karnataka
हुम्ब humb, थोस्का thoska
~~~~~ ODIA ~~~~~
written in: Odia (ଓଡ଼ିଆ) ... spoken in: Odisha
ଗନ୍ଧପଳାଶ gandhapalash
ଗନ୍ଧଶାଳିଆ gandhasalia
~~~~~ RAJASTHANI ~~~~~
written in: Devanagari (राजस्थानी) ... spoken in: Rajasthan
करी अम्बिया kari ambiya
~~~~~ TAMIL ~~~~~
written in: Tamil (தமிழ்) ... spoken in: Tamil Nadu
பெரியவாய் periyavaay
  • for Saccopetalum tomentosum (Roxb.) Hook.f. & Thomson ... Tamil lexicon [Madras], University of Madras
  • or பெருவாய் மரம் peruvaay maram ... for Saccopetalum tomentosum (Roxb.) Hook.f. & Thomson ... Tamil names of Botanical names by Yercaud Ilango
~~~~~ TELUGU ~~~~~
written in: Telugu ( తెలుగు) ... spoken in: Andhra Pradesh, Telangana
బర్రె దుద్దుగ barre dudduga, బుడ్డ దుద్దుగ budda dudduga, గాడిద లొట్ట gaadida lotta, కమరకోరు kamarakoru, నల్ల చిలక దుద్ది nalla chika duddi, పెద్ద చిలక దుద్దుగ pedda chiluka dudduga
~~~~~ DISTRIBUTION in INDIA ~~~~~
Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Goa, Gujarat, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Uttar Pradesh
~~~~~ Last updated: 25-09-2023 ~~~~~
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "eFloraofIndia" group.

Dinesh Valke

Sep 25, 2023, 12:36:51 PM9/25/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much, Mandru ji, for the appreciation.
Regards.
Dinesh

Sam Kuzhalanattu

Sep 26, 2023, 12:46:32 AM9/26/23
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Excellent work and nice photograph dear Dinesh ji 👏
With regards, Sam.

Dinesh Valke

Sep 26, 2023, 1:36:05 AM9/26/23
to Sam Kuzhalanattu, efloraofindia
Thanks very much, Sam ji, for the appreciation.
Regards.
Dinesh

M Swamy

Sep 26, 2023, 7:59:15 AM9/26/23
to Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dinesh ji,
Nice compilation.
  Regarding the Kannada name ಕರಿ ಹೆಸ್ಸರೆ kari hessare , I am of the opinion that ಕರಿ ಹೆಸರೆ ಮರ kari hesare mara as mentioned in  Catalogue of Plants in the Botanical Garden, Bangalore, and its vicinity , is more appropriate.   Hence, I suggest that you may choose the names ಕರಿ ಹೆಸರೆ kari hesare  ಕರಿ ಹೆಸರೆ ಮರ kari hesare mara .   Nevertheless , it is left to your choice.
Thanks & Regards,

Dinesh Valke

Sep 26, 2023, 12:12:34 PM9/26/23
to M Swamy, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much, dear Mahadeswara ji, for validating the Kannada names of this plant.
Yes, sure, I will change the name shortly, to the more appropriate - ಕರಿ ಹೆಸರೆ kari hesare

Just for sake of curiosity, what would the name mean ? Literal translation seems to be "black name" OR "charred name". I ask because this tree does not have any name given in English; thus was thinking if we could coin a name from a regional name. I am aware that ಕರಿ and ಹೆಸರೆ on their own, have various meanings.

Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Sep 27, 2023, 2:47:28 AM9/27/23
to M Swamy, indian...@googlegroups.com
minor correction in Kannada name ...

Miliusa tomentosa (Roxb.) Finet & Gagnep.

Miliusa tomentosa (Roxb.) Finet & Gagnep.

¿ mil-ee-u-suh ? -- named for Pierre Bernard Milius, French naval officer; joined the expedition of Nicolas Baudin ... Wikipedia
toh-men-TOH-suh -- covered with fine, matted hairs ... Dave's Botanary

commonly known as: hoomGujarati: ઉંભ umbh, ઉંભો umbho, ઉંફ umph • Hindi: हूम hoom, करी kari • Kannada: ಕರಿ ಹೆಸರೆ kari hesare, ಕಾಲಾದ್ರಿ kaalaadri, ವುಂಬೆ wumb • Konkani: हूम hoom, व्हूंब vhumb • Malayalam: കൈതമാവ് kaithamaavu, കാനക്കൈത kanakkaita, തവിടി thavidi • Marathi: हुम्ब humb, थोस्का thoska • Odia: ଗନ୍ଧପଳାଶ gandhapalash, ଗନ୍ଧଶାଳିଆ gandhasalia • Rajasthani: करी अम्बिया kari ambiya • Tamil: பெரியவாய் periyavaay • Telugu: బర్రె దూడుగ barre duduga, బుడ్డ దూడుగ budda duduga, గాడిద లొట్ట gadida lotta, పెద్ద చిలకదూడుగ pedda chiluka duduga

[...]
ಕರಿ ಹೆಸರೆ kari hesare
  • Many thanks to Dr Mahadeswara Swamy for help with this name ... efloraofindia
~~~~~ Last updated: 27-09-2023 ~~~~~

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 28, 2023, 8:21:11 AM9/28/23
to eFloraofIndia
Another great contribution Dinesh ji

Dinesh Valke

Sep 28, 2023, 12:33:54 PM9/28/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much, Gurcharan ji, for the appreciation.
Regards.
Dinesh