SK 3554 08 June 2022

Saroj Kasaju

Jun 8, 2022, 12:30:42 AM6/8/22
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Alastair Culham, Sheila Sadd
Dear Members,

Location: Kew, London, UK
Altitude: 19 m.
Date: 04 April 2022
Habit : Cultivated

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju
DSC_3553.JPG

Saroj Kasaju

Jun 8, 2022, 12:31:13 AM6/8/22
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Alastair Culham, Sheila Sadd

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

DSC_3554.JPG

Saroj Kasaju

Jun 8, 2022, 12:37:35 AM6/8/22
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Alastair Culham, Sheila Sadd
Tradescantia spathacea Sw.  ??
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

DSC_3562.JPG

Plantaholic Sheila.

Jun 8, 2022, 4:00:48 AM6/8/22
to eFloraofIndia
The common name for  Tradescantia spathacea  is  Moses in the basket.
Cos  flower bud looks like a basket.
It opens to revel the flowers inside...see my pics.

Don't think your flower matches.
Your flowers is just a mass of stamens,TRADESCANTIA  SPATHACEA  14 01 2015 15-013.JPGTRADESCANTIA  SPATHACEA 01-Jan-18 3-23-05 PM.JPGTRADESCANTIA  SPATHACEA 17 01 2015 09-032.JPGTRADESCANTIA  SPATHACEA 17 01 2015 09-033.JPG

Saroj Kasaju

Jun 8, 2022, 4:02:05 AM6/8/22
to efloraindia, Sheila Sadd, J.M. Garg, Alastair Culham

Thank you Sheila !

Saroj Kasaju

Mahadeswara

Jun 8, 2022, 7:50:46 AM6/8/22
to eFloraofIndia
Yes.    I have this plant in my garden.  Rugged, grows any where and any where without any care.  Needs very little water.  Good for  borders and for decorating   trees (planting under the tree at the base as fillers.

Saroj Kasaju

Jun 8, 2022, 7:51:46 AM6/8/22
to efloraindia, M Swamy, J.M. Garg

Thank you Mahadeshwara JI !

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

Jun 23, 2022, 7:36:17 AM6/23/22
to efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju, Sheila Sadd, M Swamy

Pl. see 3 high res. images at link.

Some earlier relevant feedback:

The common name for  Tradescantia spathacea is Moses in the basket.
Cos flower bud looks like a basket.
It opens to reveal the flowers inside...see my pics.
Don't think your flower matches.

Your flowers is just a mass of stamens, - from Sheila ji

To me 3rd image looks different from 1st two- from me

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

mayur nandikar

Jun 26, 2022, 1:21:40 AM6/26/22
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju, Sheila Sadd, M Swamy
It's Tradescantia spathacea!

J.M. Garg

Jun 26, 2022, 3:18:11 AM6/26/22
to mayur nandikar, efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju, Sheila Sadd, M Swamy
Hi, Mayur ji,
Even 1st and 2nd images?
We have never seen things like this.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Plantaholic Sheila.

Jun 26, 2022, 3:43:23 AM6/26/22
to eFloraofIndia
This was found at Kew gardens on London .U.K.where they grow plants from all over the world...both common and extremely rare.

Tradescantia  spathacea flowers each have just 6 stamen.
This plant has so many  stamen I cannot even count them.
The stamen on mystery flower are different from Tradescantia  spathacea
There is no sign of any pink bract..the cradle.
No sign of any petals.
Most interesting.

J.M. Garg

Jun 26, 2022, 4:43:52 AM6/26/22
to efloraofindia, MayurNandikar

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

J.M. Garg

Jul 1, 2022, 6:52:05 AM7/1/22
to efloraofindia, MayurNandikar, Sheila Sadd, Saroj Kasaju
Hi, Mayur ji,
May I request you to pl. clarify.
--
With regards,