SK 2952 08 September 2021

Saroj Kasaju

Sep 8, 2021, 11:32:17 AM9/8/21

Date: 11 August 2021

Sep 8, 2021, 11:32:45 AM9/8/21

Sep 8, 2021, 11:33:09 AM9/8/21

Sep 8, 2021, 11:33:29 AM9/8/21

Sep 8, 2021, 11:33:46 AM9/8/21

Sep 8, 2021, 11:34:07 AM9/8/21
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

DSC_0500.JPG

J.M. Garg

Sep 11, 2021, 12:38:38 PM9/11/21
to efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju
Thanks, Saroj ji,
Peter ji may be able to confirm or otherwise pl.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Sep 11, 2021, 12:38:50 PM9/11/21
to efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju
Thanks, Saroj ji,
Peter ji may be able to confirm or otherwise pl.

Peter ji may be able to confirm or otherwise pl.

Peter ji may be able to confirm or otherwise pl.

Peter ji may be able to confirm or otherwise pl.

Peter ji may be able to confirm or otherwise pl.

Sep 12, 2021, 7:25:24 AM9/12/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju
Greetings Saroj ji,

This looks very unusual to me, though it is hard to judge colour in the lighting (camera flash?).

The spathe and spadix have a general shape similar to what I have seen in certain wild C. esculenta populations (with very long upper spathe), but your spathe appears almost translucent and white... we can see the upper spadix through the spathe membrane it seem.

The bade is also peculiar, narrowing towards the rear with shallow sinus, and with few lateral ribs, but the lamina is broadly similar to most Colocasia spp.

I suspect this is something in the group of species that are close to C. esculenta in evolutionary terms, but would need to look at the chloroplast sequence to place it in that group. Does this plant have stolons, or side corms, or erect stems with buds that form new stems directly (this last form of vegetative growth may be hard to confirm if the buds are shy sprouting).

Do you have any photos in natural daylight?

Thanks, Peter

Peter ji may be able to confirm or otherwise pl.

Sep 12, 2021, 7:28:01 AM9/12/21
to Peter J MATTHEWS, efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju
Thanks a lot, Peter ji.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Peter J MATTHEWS

Sep 12, 2021, 7:48:22 AM9/12/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju
Dear Saroj ji,

Found your daylight image! The spathe is unusually pale for Colocasia, but overall inflorescence is surely Colocasia sp. The long upper spathe also broadens in the closed distal portion, before narrowing to the tip. That is also very peculiar!

Note also that the lower spathe and peduncle may be close to circular in cross-section, with an erect peduncle at the time of floral maturity, not reflexing towards the ground. It would be good if this peduncle behaviour can be confirmed on more than one plant.

P.

Peter ji may be able to confirm or otherwise pl.

Saroj Kasaju

Sep 12, 2021, 8:47:24 AM9/12/21
to J.M. Garg, Peter J MATTHEWS, efloraofindia
Thank you Dr. Matthews,

Unfortunately only these images.

Saroj Kasaju

Saroj Kasaju

Nov 1, 2021, 9:17:56 AM11/1/21
to Pascal Bruggeman, efloraindia, J.M. Garg
Dear Dr. Bruggeman,

May I have your opinion on the ID : https://groups.google.com/g/indiantreepix/c/p0h1RinzgSQ/m/zyOEwt0DBQAJ !

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Saroj Kasaju

Aug 21, 2022, 3:59:34 AM8/21/22
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Pascal Bruggeman, PETER J Matthews
Re  : https://groups.google.com/g/indiantreepix/c/p0h1RinzgSQ/m/WoA0WyfwDgAJ

I came across an image from a book published by the Government of Nepalwhich looks like it matches my post.
Please have a look
298943212_1526454307787566_3884794399537481659_n.jpg

Peter Matthews

Aug 21, 2022, 8:06:45 AM8/21/22
to eFloraofIndia
The book photo shows a shallow sinus, but it has a distinct cleft, and the upper spathe is a relatively strong yellow (even taking into account that the colour may have changed as a result of image processing).

I still think your photo shows something very unusual... perhaps an undescribed species of Colocasia. The blade is like Steudnera in shape, but the plant appears to be in full sun (Steudnera may be more shade-loving), and has a pale, washed-out green colour that is common in Colocasia.

Cheers, P.

J.M. Garg

Aug 21, 2022, 8:21:46 AM8/21/22
to indian...@googlegroups.com