ID request-02022011-PKA3

Prashant awale

Feb 2, 2011, 12:54:31 PM2/2/11
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,

I had seen this climbing shrub with Globuse fruit having prominent spike in the   forest near Yana - Vibhuti water falls.

Date/Time: 20-01-2011 / 01:15PM
Location: On the way to Yana Rock temple from Vibhuti falls.
Habitat: Wild

regards
Prashant
IMG_4188.jpg
IMG_4189.jpg
IMG_4190.jpg
IMG_4192.jpg
IMG_4193.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 1, 2011, 8:25:10 AM3/1/11
to efloraofindia, Prashant awale, Dinesh Valke, Rashida Atthar, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Resurfacing again for ID

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Vijayasankar

Mar 1, 2011, 10:24:25 AM3/1/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Its strange and interesting. It could be even a gall. I haven't seen this so I am not sure.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Prashant awale

Mar 1, 2011, 11:38:41 AM3/1/11
to Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thanks Gurcharan Singh ji for resurfacing this for discussion. Vijayasankar ji is right. I discussed this with Dr Jayakara Bhandary (Associate Professor of Botany, Government Science College,Karwar) and here is his response..

Those spinous fruit-like structures are insect galls, commonly seen on stems of Hopea spp. If you disect them, you may find larvae inside.

In fact i almost took it for granted that these are some fruits. Its something totally new to me.

regards
Prashant

Satish Phadke

Mar 1, 2011, 11:57:01 PM3/1/11
to Prashant awale, Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Surprised to know that it is a gall. It looks just like fruit!