MSJune,2015/06 Araceae

M Sawmliana

Jun 27, 2015, 3:55:10 AM6/27/15
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Location : Buarpui - W.Bungtlang road
Date : 24/06/2015
Habit : Herb
Habitat : Wild in the forests

With regards,
M.Sawmliana
DSC02611.JPG
DSC02612.JPG

M Sawmliana

Jun 28, 2015, 8:06:54 PM6/28/15
to indian...@googlegroups.com
This is for Identification

J.M. Garg

Jul 3, 2015, 2:55:05 AM7/3/15
to efloraofindia, M Sawmliana

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: M Sawmliana <msawm...@gmail.com>
Date: 27 June 2015 at 13:25
Subject: [efloraofindia:226503] MSJune,2015/06 Araceae
To: indian...@googlegroups.com

Location : Buarpui - W.Bungtlang road (North East India)

Date : 24/06/2015
Habit : Herb
Habitat : Wild in the forests

With regards,
M.Sawmliana

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2500 members & 2,25,000 messages on 18.6.15) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

DSC02611.JPG
DSC02612.JPG

J.M. Garg

Jul 3, 2015, 7:40:42 AM7/3/15
to efloraofindia, M Swamy, M Sawmliana

Jul 3, 2015, 12:53:08 PM7/3/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
I am unable to identify it. Please upload details of open spadix as in - https://groups.google.com/d/msg/indiantreepix/sHHRMo8ZpaM/6rIrgQdWVzcJ

Thank you
Regards
surajit koley
a non-botanist member of
efloraofIndia google group

J.M. Garg

Jul 8, 2015, 6:22:42 AM7/8/15
to efloraofindia, M Sawmliana, M Swamy, surajit koley

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Calla lily. Could be a species of Zantedeschia (Zantedeschia aethiopica ?) - from Mahadeswara ji.

I am unable to identify it. Please upload details of open spadix as in - https://groups.google.com/d/msg/indiantreepix/sHHRMo8ZpaM/6rIrgQdWVzcJ

Thank you
Regards
surajit koley

Dec 11, 2020, 1:52:35 AM12/11/20
to efloraofindia
Colocasia esculenta ?

Thank you
Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

Dec 11, 2020, 7:29:23 AM12/11/20
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Saroj Kasaju, M Sawmliana

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

J.M. Garg

Dec 17, 2020, 10:41:03 AM12/17/20
to efloraofindia, M Sawmliana, Saroj Kasaju
I think looks different from Colocasia esculenta

Apr 19, 2021, 11:07:31 AM4/19/21
to efloraofindia

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 19, 2021, 11:08:21 AM4/19/21
to indiantreepix, m sawmliana
DSC02611.JPG
DSC02612.JPG

J.M. Garg

Apr 24, 2021, 7:09:13 AM4/24/21
to M Sawmliana, efloraofindia
Hi, Sawmliana ji,
Could you identify it ?

Apr 24, 2021, 8:27:01 AM4/24/21
to M Sawmliana, efloraofindia
Thanks, Sawmliana ji

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

On Sat, 24 Apr, 2021, 4:55 pm M Sawmliana, <msawm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Alocasia acuminata ?

J.M. Garg

Apr 29, 2021, 12:19:55 PM4/29/21
to M Sawmliana, efloraofindia
Inflorescence looks different as per images at IAS
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Apr 29, 2021, 12:26:10 PM4/29/21
to efloraofindia, M Sawmliana

May 4, 2021, 11:20:13 AM5/4/21
to efloraofindia, M Sawmliana, surajitkoley

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Calla lily. Could be a species of Zantedeschia (Zantedeschia aethiopica ?) - from Mahadeswara ji.

I am unable to identify it. Please upload details of open spadix as in - https://groups.google.com/d/msg/indiantreepix/sHHRMo8ZpaM/6rIrgQdWVzcJ
Thank you
Regards
surajit koley
Colocasia esculenta ?
Thank you

Saroj Kasaju

I think looks different from Colocasia esculenta- from me

Alocasia acuminata ?- from Sawmliana ji

Inflorescence looks different as per images at IAS- from me

May 7, 2021, 8:50:39 AM5/7/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
I think, it would be Alocasia fallax Schott - http://plantsoftheworldonline.org/taxon/urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:84167-1 and https://www.gbif.org/species/5329901
The species is confined in Sikkim Himalaya and Khasia, as per F-B-I.
Unfortunately, neither the F-B-I nor the internet provides me details on flower/spadix.
As per F-B-I, vol-6, page 527, the species should be near A. decipiens & A. fornicata.

Thank you.
Best regards,
Surajit Koley

J.M. Garg

May 12, 2021, 11:58:22 AM5/12/21
to efloraofindia, M Sawmliana, surajitkoley
I am not convinced about it being Alocasia fallax as per GBIF specimens or Alocasia decipiens as per GBIF
What I see here is shining leaves with clear tertiary veins and contrasting colours of both sides of the leave, as can be seen in GBIF specimens of Alocasia fornicata at one, two, three, four, five, six. It also have distribution in the area as per POWO.
However, I am not sure.
Pl. confirm or otherwise.

to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Please send me the flower to examine physically.

Thank you.
Best regards,
Surajit Koley

surajit koley

May 13, 2021, 11:01:36 AM5/13/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Dear Sawmliana ji,
I know I am asking for too much! Please understand that I am no expert on Alocasia or Colocasia, I am here too to learn something about plant-world. However, I do know what a flower of A. fornicata look like. And I believe that identification based on leaf morphology can mislead, specially in case of Alocasia or Colocasia.

I have doubt if your plant can be Alocasia fornicata - flowers are not like the ones I see here.- (a) floral chamber and spathe appear to be narrower and more elongated in your species, (b) spadix is different.
I do not know if the above characters can be regional variation.
I attach here description of Alocasia fornicata from the booh, "Botany of Bihar and Orissa".
Also attached an edited picture for your perusal, along with other pictures (one immature flower and the other mature) of Alocasia fornicata flower that I recorded.

And KEY is there in a private mail for certain spp of Alocasia.

Thank you.
Best regards,
Surajit Koley
DSC02611_12_ed.jpg
Alocasia_fornicata_19jan13_DSCN1169.jpg
Alocasia_fornicata_DSCN9126.jpg
Alocasia_fornicata_Haines.jpg

surajit koley

May 14, 2021, 3:12:30 AM5/14/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
I would like to add one more point - I never came across any such phrase that "shiny leaf means Alocasia."

Thank you.
Best regards,
Surajit Koley

J.M. Garg

May 19, 2021, 6:43:19 AM5/19/21
to surajit koley, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
I think it may be some Remusatia species as per comparative images herein, mostly Remusatia hookeriana Schott as per details and images herein and as per Flora of China keys, FoC illustrations- one, two, three and GBIF specimens - one, two, three, four
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

surajit koley

May 19, 2021, 11:35:48 AM5/19/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
I am not acquainted with this genus, Sir ji.
Yet, I do not think it can be Remusatia hookeriana -(1) as per Fl.Br.Ind., spathe max 2.5 inch, / 7 cm max.- FoC) (2) spadix max. 11+7+9 = 27 mm = 1 inch approx (check FoC).
The spadix in this thread looks much longer, though actual size can only be verified by Sawmliana ji.

life is short
time is running out
don't try to know everything
utilize what you already know

J.M. Garg

May 19, 2021, 12:18:29 PM5/19/21
to efloraofindia, M Sawmliana, surajitkoley
Thanks, Surajit ji.
To me relative size of spathe, ovule and leaves appears to be OK. Actually close up images (making them look appear large) has confused us, into thinking this to be an Alocasia.

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

surajit koley

May 19, 2021, 12:39:36 PM5/19/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Yes, Sir ji, photographic illusions are quite possible.

life is short
time is running out
don't try to know everything
utilize what you already know

surajit koley

May 19, 2021, 12:51:50 PM5/19/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Sir ji, is there any possibility of Steudnera colocasioides ? Please check the spadix athttp://www.aroidpictures.fr/GENERA/STEUDNERA/steudcolocasioides.html

life is short
time is running out
don't try to know everything
utilize what you already know

J.M. Garg

May 19, 2021, 12:54:04 PM5/19/21
to surajit koley, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
I do not think so.

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

surajit koley

May 19, 2021, 12:57:53 PM5/19/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Is it flower or the leaves?

life is short
time is running out
don't try to know everything
utilize what you already know

surajit koley

May 20, 2021, 3:34:52 AM5/20/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Ok Sir ji in this case you are correct -
It is not Alocasia - since its flower does not carry an appendix
It is not Steudnera - spathe is differentiated into two zones, and spadix indicates a constricted sterile zone above the floral chamber

Now, I will check, later, if it can be Colocasia - colocasia can have reduced or no appendix. Thereafter I will go to Remusatia.

life is short
time is running out
don't try to know everything
utilize what you already know

surajit koley

May 20, 2021, 12:20:27 PM5/20/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Sir ji, I fail to connect it with any Alocasia (no appendix in flower) / Colocasia / Steudnera, "Flora of China '' has to offer.

I fail to connect it to any Remusatia as well, - the exposed part of the spadix is significantly longer than the hidden part in spathe tube.

If this is the same plant as in the other thread - https://groups.google.com/g/indiantreepix/c/e5eE6YgOC_c/m/3SiL9s7uDfIJ - which I think it is - then I am afraid we have to think outside Remusatia hookeriana.

Thank you
Regards
surajit

life is short
time is running out
don't try to know everything
utilize what you already know

surajit koley

May 21, 2021, 1:47:14 AM5/21/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
This is Colocasia mannii Hook.f.

"A herb ..... stolon absent ------ upper surface of leaf blade glossy green ....... spadix 9-11 cm., .... female zone 3-3.8 cm., sterile zone 3cm., male zone 3-4.2 cm., synandria ivory ...."

So, is the other thread, spathe limb and male + strile + synandria decayed showing only fruiting chamber since that was photographed in September - https://groups.google.com/g/indiantreepix/c/e5eE6YgOC_c

Don't ask me where did I otain the data from - obviously I copied from somewhere!!!

Don't redirect me to Indiabiodiversity site.

surajit koley

life is short
time is running out
don't try to know everything
utilize what you already know

J.M. Garg

May 21, 2021, 5:09:30 AM5/21/21
to surajit koley, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Thanks, Surajit ji.
Hope you are right as per GBIF- specimens one and two.
Description from FBI from IBIS Flora is as below:

Hook. f. ; leaves oblong-ovate base sagittate lobes very obtuse sinus broad acute, spathe narrowly oblong cymbiform, spadix half as long as the spathe sub-acute, appendage 0.

UPPER ASSAM ; at Makum, Mann.

Leaves 8-12 by 4-7 in., nerves 6-7 pairs, not stout, basal lobes 4 in. ; petiole 1-3 ft. Peduncle rather slender. Spathe 6-7 in., tube 1 in. Spadix 1.1/2-4 in. ; male infl. 1 in. intermediate space 1/2 in. ; male 1.1/4-1.1/2, tip rounded. Anthers stellately crenate. Ovaries globose, stigma a discoid area.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

May 21, 2021, 5:21:38 AM5/21/21
to efloraofindia, surajitkoley, M Sawmliana
Thanks a lot, Rajib ji, for validation.
Thanks a lot, Surajit ji, for resolving this id with your great efforts.

From: M Sawmliana <msawm...@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 at 13:25
To: <indian...@googlegroups.com>

Location : Buarpui - W.Bungtlang road
Date : 24/06/2015
Habit : Herb
Habitat : Wild in the forests

With regards,
M.Sawmliana

With regards,
J.M.Garg

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

surajit koley

May 21, 2021, 10:01:41 AM5/21/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana

Forwarding again for Id confirmation or otherwise please.

Some earlier relevant feedback:

 Sir ji, is there any possibility of Steudnera colocasioides ? Please check the spadix at - http://www.aroidpictures.fr/GENERA/STEUDNERA/steudcolocasioides.html            Surajit

I do not think so.

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

A response was expected before my next reply mail, more than 12 hrs. later

life is short
time is running out
don't try to know everything
utilize what you already know

surajit koley

May 21, 2021, 10:14:24 AM5/21/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Sawmliana ji,

I am happy that your species id has been resolved. Please do not bother to send me any flower. I remember your difficulties.

I expect, in the coming days, you will offer us more and more uncommon or lesser-known species from your region. Please record as much detail of your plants as you can.