Alocasia sp. for ID (Araceae)

M Sawmliana

Sep 1, 2014, 7:29:50 AM9/1/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Location : Sairang, Mizoram
Date : 01-09-2014
Habit : Herb
Habitat :Grows wild in shady place

With regards,
M.Sawmliana

DSCN1833.JPG
DSCN1837.JPG
DSCN1835.JPG
DSCN1839.JPG

J.M. Garg

Sep 7, 2014, 12:06:11 PM9/7/14
to efloraofindia, M Sawmliana

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2380 members & 1,96,000 messages on 31/7/14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 9500 species & 1,90,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

DSCN1833.JPG
DSCN1837.JPG
DSCN1835.JPG
DSCN1839.JPG

surajit koley

Sep 7, 2014, 1:29:30 PM9/7/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana

J.M. Garg

Sep 13, 2014, 7:29:27 AM9/13/14
to efloraofindia, surajit koley, M Sawmliana

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Regards                                          Surajit

my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

DSCN1833.JPG
DSCN1837.JPG
DSCN1835.JPG
DSCN1839.JPG

M Sawmliana

Oct 9, 2014, 11:39:09 AM10/9/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, surajit koley
same alocasia ?
DSC_1560.JPG

surajit koley

Oct 9, 2014, 1:12:06 PM10/9/14
to M Sawmliana, efloraofindia
Sawmliana Ji,

For the same reason as I have explained in your thread https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/indiantreepix/oi4JuKNkBWY/nEV8DSn5S40J I suggested it to be A. acuminata. But again I request you to check the population, for you should have A. acuminata, A. fallax (according to Hooker similar to A. fornicata; maybe A. navicularis as per http://www.aroid.org/aroidl-archive/showthread.php?id=724).

Thank you
Regards

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 18, 2021, 12:37:34 AM4/18/21
to efloraofindia
Forwarding for ID
Distributed as Alocasia acuminata ?
Group discussion at

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 18, 2021, 12:38:33 AM4/18/21
to indiantreepix, m sawmliana
Forwarding for ID
Distributed as Alocasia acuminata ?
Group discussion at

DSCN1833.JPG
DSCN1837.JPG
DSCN1835.JPG
DSCN1839.JPG

J.M. Garg

Apr 29, 2021, 12:28:15 PM4/29/21
to efloraofindia, M Sawmliana

May 4, 2021, 11:22:22 AM5/4/21
to efloraofindia, M Sawmliana, surajitkoley

Forwarding again for Id confirmation or otherwise please.

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Alocasia acuminata Schott (inflorescence usually solitary)?

Regards                                          Surajit

For the same reason as I have explained in your thread https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/indiantreepix/oi4JuKNkBWY/nEV8DSn5S40J I suggested it to be A. acuminata. But again I request you to check the population, for you should have A. acuminataA. fallax (according to Hooker similar to A. fornicata; maybe A. navicularis as per http://www.aroid.org/aroidl-archive/showthread.php?id=724).- from Surajit ji

to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Again, it should be Alocasia fallax Schott.

Thank you.
Best regards,
Surajit Koley

J.M. Garg

May 12, 2021, 11:59:42 AM5/12/21
to efloraofindia, M Sawmliana, surajitkoley
I am not convinced about it being Alocasia fallax as per GBIF specimens or Alocasia decipiens as per GBIF
What I see here is shining leaves with clear tertiary veins and contrasting colours of both sides of the leave, as can be seen in GBIF specimens of Alocasia fornicata at onetwothreefourfivesix. It also have distribution in the area as per POWO.
However, I am not sure.
Pl. confirm or otherwise.

to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
  Please send me the flower to examine physically.

Thank you.
Best regards,
Surajit Koley

surajit koley

May 13, 2021, 11:06:45 AM5/13/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
  Dear Sawmliana ji,
I know I am asking for too much! Please understand that I am no expert on Alocasia or Colocasia, I am here too to learn something about plant-world. However, I do know what a flower of A. fornicata look like. And I believe that identification based on leaf morphology can mislead, specially in case of Alocasia or Colocasia.

I have doubt if your plant can be Alocasia fornicata - flowers are not like the ones I see here.
I do not know if there can be regional variation.
I attach here description of Alocasia fornicata from the booh, "Botany of Bihar and Orissa".
Also attached an edited picture for your perusal.

Thank you.
Best regards,
Surajit Koley

Alocasia_fornicata_Haines.jpg
DSCN1835_ed.jpg

J.M. Garg

May 19, 2021, 6:43:42 AM5/19/21
to surajit koley, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
I think it may be some Remusatia species as per comparative images herein, mostly Remusatia hookeriana Schott as per details and images herein and as per Flora of China keys, FoC illustrations- one, two, three and GBIF specimens - one, two, three, four
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

surajit koley

May 19, 2021, 11:56:00 AM5/19/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Again, Sir, the floral chamber(s) in the 3rd pic seems longer and cylindrical than all the references you have linked. However there might be some possibility which can not be confirmed without seeing the spadix.

life is short
time is running out
don't try to know everything
utilize what you already know

J.M. Garg

May 19, 2021, 12:21:01 PM5/19/21
to surajit koley, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Thanks, Surajit ji.
Pl. see them in 2nd image, which shows their relative size compared to the leaves.
--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

surajit koley

J.M. Garg

May 19, 2021, 1:37:08 PM5/19/21
to surajit koley, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Ok, I will have a serious lookbwitj more sources again tomorrow.

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

surajit koley

May 19, 2021, 9:18:48 PM5/19/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Good morning Sir ji
Please, do not spend time on Steudnera.
I think it will take time to sort out the two posts from Mizoram.
Have a ice day

life is short
time is running out
don't try to know everything
utilize what you already know

J.M. Garg

May 20, 2021, 2:02:41 AM5/20/21
to surajit koley, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Thanks, Surajit ji.
May I request you to have a relook for Remusatia hookeriana Schott as per details and images herein and as per Flora of China keys, FoC illustrations- onetwothree and GBIF specimens - onetwothreefour
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

surajit koley

May 20, 2021, 2:37:18 AM5/20/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
I did Sir and I will recheck thoroughly.
I need time, Sir ji, first I intend to delete, one by one , any possibility of other Colocasia and Alocasia and also Steudnera. Then I will get back to Remusatia.
In fact I was thinking of Remusatia too, specially R. vivipara, as in KEW site - http://www.plantsoftheworldonline.org/taxon/urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:88433-1.

To tell you the fact - I am stressing more on flower than leaf characters. The long "male (or sterile male included?) zone" is my point of concern.

life is short
time is running out
don't try to know everything
utilize what you already know

xxxxDSC02612.jpg

J.M. Garg

May 20, 2021, 2:53:27 AM5/20/21
to surajit koley, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Ok. Thanks, Surajit ji
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

surajit koley

May 20, 2021, 3:53:04 AM5/20/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
In this case, particularly in pic no. DSCN1835, I do not see any spathe limb + spadix.
If the highlighted part of the attached pic indicates part of "erect aerial stolon", it is likely to be Remusatia.
So much for now....

life is short
time is running out
don't try to know everything
utilize what you already know

zzzDSCN1835.jpg

surajit koley

May 20, 2021, 10:39:57 AM5/20/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Ok, Sir ji, I agree with you!

Alocasia and Colocasia are rejected, because, so far we have seen all flowers of those two genera carry spathe with two conspicuously visible zones and spadix markedly longer than spathe tube

Steudnera also rejected, because (1) genus features medium to robust members (2) petiole sheath very short [disagree with pic DSCN1835] (3) apical part of the spathe marcescent ....... (all terms copied from FoC !!!)

Two points I am not happy with are (1) floral chamber seems longer than those illustrations in FoC or those herb. you referred (2) leave in these photographs are not "long acuminate at apex (apices)". ----- of course these are minor problems.

life is short
time is running out
don't try to know everything
utilize what you already know

J.M. Garg

May 20, 2021, 11:18:38 AM5/20/21
to surajit koley, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Thanks a lot, Surajit ji.
I have written to Peter ji. Hope he also gives some feedback in the matter.

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

surajit koley

May 20, 2021, 12:21:41 PM5/20/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Yes, Sir ji, let us wait.

life is short
time is running out
don't try to know everything
utilize what you already know

surajit koley

May 21, 2021, 1:53:28 AM5/21/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Please check the discussion in another thread - https://groups.google.com/g/indiantreepix/c/mbjm0dunbDE/m/8IYxMa-qAAAJ

The highlighted white part which I thought was a stolon is actually some kind of wilted leaf sheath I think.

surajit koley

life is short
time is running out
don't try to know everything
utilize what you already know

J.M. Garg

May 21, 2021, 5:20:37 AM5/21/21
to efloraofindia, surajitkoley, M Sawmliana
Thanks a lot, Rajib ji, for validation.
Thanks a lot, Surajit ji, for resolving this id with your great efforts.

From: M Sawmliana <msawm...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Sept 2014 at 16:59
To: <indian...@googlegroups.com>

Location : Sairang, Mizoram