Rivea hypocrateriformis (Common Night Glory)

J.M. Garg

Apr 2, 2009, 10:40:57 PM4/2/09
to indiantreepix
Hope my id is correct. On 7/2/09 in Hyderabad, AP.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Rivea hypocrateriformis (Common Night Glory) is it- in Hyderabad I IMG_5595.jpg
Rivea hypocrateriformis (Common Night Glory) is it- in Hyderabad I IMG_5596.jpg

J.M. Garg

Apr 2, 2009, 10:59:49 PM4/2/09
to indiantreepix
Here is a reply from Farida Abraham ji fa.ab...@gmail.com:
"also commonly called moon flower FA"

Dinesh Valke

Apr 3, 2009, 12:01:50 AM4/3/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Thank you Garg ji for showing this night blooming glory ... I would have mistaken it for Ipomoea obscura.
Regards.

Tabish

Apr 3, 2009, 11:06:06 AM4/3/09
to indiantreepix
Dear Mr. Garg,
Sorry for acting like a Doubting Thomas, but do you have a picture
of the flower peeping inside the tube, or any other picture? My doubt
arises from the following:
1. In daylight, this night-blooming flower looks surprisingly fresh.
2. Tube of the flower doesn't look long and slender, although one
can't be sure because the view is obscured.
3. Flowering period of Night Glory (also called Midnapore Creeper), is
August-September.
I am wondering if it could be Ipomoea obscura. I have seen it
flowering in Delhi in December-January.
- Tabish

On Apr 3, 9:01 am, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you Garg ji for showing this night blooming glory ... I would have
> mistaken it for *Ipomoea obscura.*
> Regards.
>
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 8:29 AM, J.M. Garg <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Here is a reply from Farida Abraham ji fa.abra...@gmail.com:
> > "also commonly called moon flower FA"
>
> > 2009/4/3 J.M. Garg <jmga...@gmail.com>
>
> > Hope my id is correct. On 7/2/09 in Hyderabad, AP.
> >> --
> >> With regards,
> >> J.M.Garg
> >> "We often ignore the beauty around us"
> >> Creating Awareness about Indian Flora & Fauna:
> >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1
> >> For learning about our trees & plants, please visit/ join Google e-group
> >> (Indiantreepix)http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en

J.M. Garg

Apr 3, 2009, 11:49:56 AM4/3/09
to Tabish, indiantreepix
Thanks, Tabish ji for the feedback.
Attaching two close-ups from the same shots- in case it helps.
Is it possible that both the climbers are present, but only one is flowering?

2009/4/3 Tabish <tab...@gmail.com>
Rivea hypocrateriformis (Common Night Glory) is it I2 IMG_5596.jpg
Rivea hypocrateriformis (Common Night Glory) is it I3 IMG_5596.jpg

Tabish

Apr 3, 2009, 1:30:47 PM4/3/09
to indiantreepix
From this new picture, I think it should be Ipomoea obscura. Ipomoea
obscura has creamish flowers with brownish purple visible in the
throat. The brownish color at the base of the tube in your picture,
should be just this feature. Also there is a huge difference between
the size of the two species under discussion. While Ipomoe obscura
flowers are small, about an inch (2.5 cm) across, the flowers of Rivea
hypocrateriformis are 4-5 cm across, with a prominently long tube 7-8
cm. Since it is a creeper, what other leaves might be visible in the
picture, one can't say. However, in the new picture I can see some
typical Ipomoea obscura leaves, wth deeply heart-shaped base and
nerves radiating out from the base.
Best wishes
- Tabish

On Apr 3, 8:49 pm, "J.M. Garg" <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Tabish ji for the feedback.
> Attaching two close-ups from the same shots- in case it helps.
> Is it possible that both the climbers are present, but only one is
> flowering?
>
> 2009/4/3 Tabish <tabi...@gmail.com>
>  Rivea hypocrateriformis (Common Night Glory) is it I2 IMG_5596.jpg
> 202KViewDownload
>
>  Rivea hypocrateriformis (Common Night Glory) is it I3 IMG_5596.jpg
> 227KViewDownload

J.M. Garg

Apr 4, 2009, 6:29:25 AM4/4/09
to Tabish, indiantreepix
Many thanks, Tabish ji.

J.M. Garg

Nov 25, 2010, 4:24:16 AM11/25/10
to efloraofindia, Ron_Convolvulaceae
A reply:
"Hello,
   I see that there is a mixturte of 2 completelt different species
in the photos above.
The bloom is ipomoea obscura apparently climbing in the moonflower
shrub.
The 2 flowerbuds behind the open flower have a completely different
structure and most noticeably have the tube of a night blooming
flower.
I think the photo shows both Ipomoea obscura and Rivae
hypocrateriformis.
I have been searching for a few seeds of Rivea hypocrateriformis for
some years and if there was anyway you might be able to assist me , I
would be most grateful.
regards,
Ron"

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Rivea hypocrateriformis (Common Night Glory) is it- in Hyderabad I IMG_5595.jpg
Rivea hypocrateriformis (Common Night Glory) is it- in Hyderabad I IMG_5596.jpg

Yazdy Palia

Nov 25, 2010, 1:06:54 PM11/25/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Ron_Convolvulaceae
Dear Garg Ji,
I think it is Rivae hypocrateriformis. The buds you see on the bottom
left of the bloom in the second picture is actually the pod of the
seeds. I will try to upload the picture of the seeds tomorrow. The
climber in the picture is almost bare of leaves, whereas the one at my
place is lush green. Inside the pod you normally find 3 seeds (not
very sure about the numbers)
Regards
Yazdy.

Pankaj Kumar

Nov 25, 2010, 1:37:38 PM11/25/10
to Yazdy Palia, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Ron_Convolvulaceae
Rivea hypocrateriformis Choisy Mém. Soc. Phys. Genève vi. 408 (Conv.
Or. 26), (1833)

Type: Sine collector; sine no. [G00134857]

Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

TYPE Rivea crat.jpg

Yazdy Palia

Nov 26, 2010, 1:03:52 AM11/26/10
to Pankaj Kumar, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Ron_Convolvulaceae
Dear Friends,
Attaching pictures of seeds, pods, flower, buds and vine of Rivea
hypocrateriformims.
Regards
Yazdy.
DSCN4346.JPG
DSCN4172.JPG
DSCN4340.JPG
DSCN4343.JPG
DSCN4345.JPG

Ron_Convolvulaceae

Nov 26, 2010, 1:47:43 AM11/26/10
to efloraofindia

On Nov 26, 1:03 am, Yazdy Palia <yazdypa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Friends,
> Attaching pictures of seeds, pods, flower, buds and vine of Rivea
> hypocrateriformims.
> Regards
> Yazdy.
>
> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 12:07 AM, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Rivea hypocrateriformis Choisy Mém. Soc. Phys. Genève vi.  408 (Conv.
> > Or. 26), (1833)
>
> > Type: Sine collector; sine no. [G00134857]
>
> > Regards
> > Pankaj
>
> > On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 11:36 PM, Yazdy Palia <yazdypa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Dear Garg Ji,
> >> I think it is Rivae hypocrateriformis. The buds you see on the bottom
> >> left of the bloom in the second picture is actually the pod of the
> >> seeds. I will try to upload the picture of the seeds tomorrow. The
> >> climber in the picture is almost bare of leaves, whereas the one at my
> >> place is lush green. Inside the pod you normally find 3 seeds (not
> >> very sure about the numbers)
> >> Regards
> >> Yazdy.

> > --
> > "TAXONOMISTS GETTING EXTINCT AND SPECIES DATA DEFICIENT !!"
>
> > Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
> > Research Associate
> > Greater Kailash Sacred Landscape Project
> > Department of Habitat Ecology
> > Wildlife Institute of India
> > Post Box # 18
> > Dehradun - 248001, India
>

>  DSCN4346.JPG
> 515KViewDownload
>
>  DSCN4172.JPG
> 350KViewDownload
>
>  DSCN4340.JPG
> 458KViewDownload
>
>  DSCN4343.JPG
> 468KViewDownload
>
>  DSCN4345.JPG
> 638KViewDownload

Hello All,

It seems that the most recent set of photos of Yazdy.are those of
Ipomoea alba.

Here are some reference links to Rivea photos and seedpods

Yazdy Palia = Ipomoea alba
Balkar Singh = Rivea hypocrateriformis
http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/58c5c79962bd2446/b8fb081ba9716750?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=hypocrateriformis#

possibly Ipomoea alba
http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/ecf8a5d7236fd316/e44146b039935618?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=hypocrateriformis#e44146b039935618

Yazdy Palia = Rivea hypocrateriformis
http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/f3524225ecf8b183/7c568e846113880d?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=hypocrateriformis#7c568e846113880d

additional links to Rivea hypocrateriformis

Rivea hypocrateriformis seedpods remain fully erect
http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/e3ebf8e8f15f0f1c/3f4c86f49c07d41f?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=hypocrateriformis#3f4c86f49c07d41f
http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/2876934d50283676/77d814d7c3989f0e?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=hypocrateriformis#

http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/eaeb22933ff4aa6f/ac366d4d2b3e6787?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=hypocrateriformis#ac366d4d2b3e6787
http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/fabb3c6fc986e1cf/fbe88d29128c0f6e?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=hypocrateriformis#
http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/fabb3c6fc986e1cf/362aaff771bd940b?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=hypocrateriformis#

there are no photos of actual seeds of Rivea hypocrateriformis that I
can locate anywhere on the web

link to Ipomoea alba
seedpods
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/10807/
Ipomoea alba seeds vary in color from off-white to black
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/1132/
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/9251/
http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2006/07/30/QueenB/07b938.jpg

I.alba alternate leaf form seen on runners
http://convolvulaceae.home.comcast.net/~convolvulaceae/Convolvulaceae/Ipomoea_alba/Ipomoea_alba-2_2005-08-15_01-runner.jpg

link to Ipomoea obscura seedpod
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/164744/
Ipomoea obscura seeds
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/99714/

Ipomoea ochracea - There is an all white form which looks like a
larger version of I.obscura

Ipomoea ochracea sepals
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/121572/
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/121573/
developing seedpods and pedicels
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/121575/

regards,

Ron

Farida Abraham

Nov 26, 2010, 7:15:53 AM11/26/10
to Ron_Convolvulaceae, efloraofindia
commonly called 'moon vine' as the flowers bloom in the evning / night. FA
--
Mrs. F. Abraham.
Principal,

Yazdy Palia

Nov 26, 2010, 8:01:36 AM11/26/10
to and...@optonline.net, indiantreepix
Hello Ron,
Thank you so much for correcting me. I am a lay person and not a
botanist. It is possible that I have made a mistake. However, if this
is Ipomoea alba, then the earlier posting also should be Ipomea alba.
They are from the same vine or at least, I got both the pictures from
the same spot. The pods and seeds though are from a few feet away.
Once again, other than assuring you that it is from the same spot, I
can not be sure that it is the same vine because, they are so much
intertwined that it is extremely difficult to find the main stem.
In any case, I think my mistake should be discussed in the general
with other members too so that the necessary corrections are made.
Regards
Yazdy.