Rubiaceae shrub for id 301209MK3

Muthu Karthick

Dec 30, 2009, 7:19:00 AM12/30/09
to indiantreepix
Dear all,
Kindly help to identify this Rubiaceae member. This shrub is common throughout Tamil Nadu.
Could this be Psilanthus sp.?

Place: Satyamangalam forest Division; Scrub forests
Date: 10 Dec 2009

--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

J.M. Garg

Feb 11, 2010, 3:08:15 AM2/11/10
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman

Forwarding again for Id assistance pl.

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

a 079.jpg
a 080.jpg
a 081.jpg

R. Vijayasankar

Feb 15, 2010, 1:21:29 AM2/15/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick
It could be Psilanthus wightianus (Coffea wightiana).
P. wightianus is called as 'Mutti' in Tamil. Looks beautiful in full bloom and the flowers are very fragrant.
--
With regards

R. Vijayasankar
FRLHT, Bangalore

Muthu Karthick

Feb 16, 2010, 5:45:15 AM2/16/10
to R. Vijayasankar, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Many thanks sir.
Care Earth Trust
Chennai - 61
www.careearthtrust.org

Muthu Karthick

Sep 4, 2010, 2:16:16 AM9/4/10
to R. Vijayasankar, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Dear sir,
Psilanthus wightianus has fragrant flowers and also the leaves are more chartaceous (paper-like).

But the picture I posted has thicker leaves (sub-coriaceous). Any other variety of it? So far Psilanthus wightianus (Wight & Arn.) J. Leroy alone reported from TN.

With this am attaching pictures of fragrant-flowers of a Psilanthus sp.
Kindly resolve this.
Picture 037.jpg
Picture 038.jpg
Picture 039.jpg

J.M. Garg

Oct 13, 2010, 7:44:43 AM10/13/10
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman, C KUNHIKANNAN

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“It could be Psilanthus wightianus (Coffea wightiana).
P. wightianus is called as 'Mutti' in Tamil. Looks beautiful in full bloom and the flowers are very fragrant.” from Vijayasankar ji.

“Psilanthus wightianus has fragrant flowers and also the leaves are more chartaceous (paper-like).

But the picture I posted has thicker leaves (sub-coriaceous). Any other variety of it? So far Psilanthus wightianus (Wight & Arn.) J. Leroy alone reported from TN.

With this am attaching pictures of fragrant-flowers of a Psilanthus sp.

Kindly resolve this.” from Muthu ji.

Oct 29, 2010, 11:06:51 AM10/29/10
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, rajdeo singh, Vijayasankar Raman, Rashida Atthar

Forwarding again for Id confirmation or otherwise please.

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“It could be Psilanthus wightianus (Coffea wightiana).
P. wightianus is called as 'Mutti' in Tamil. Looks beautiful in full bloom and the flowers are very fragrant.” from Vijayasankar ji.

“Psilanthus wightianus has fragrant flowers and also the leaves are more chartaceous (paper-like).

But the picture I posted has thicker leaves (sub-coriaceous). Any other variety of it? So far Psilanthus wightianus (Wight & Arn.) J. Leroy alone reported from TN.

With this am attaching pictures of fragrant-flowers of a Psilanthus sp.
Kindly resolve this.” from Muthu ji.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor