DV :: 30MAR11 - 0611 :: Breynia / Phyllanthus species

Dinesh Valke

Apr 9, 2011, 2:27:40 PM4/9/11
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,
ID please.

Shrub about 5 - 7 ft, growing in vicinity of a stream.
This plant best visualized as larger version of Breynia retusa
(cup-saucer plant).

Date/Time
: March 30, 2011 at 6.11pm IST
Location Place : outskirts of Madikeri, Karnataka ... 12.451091, 75.711816 (on Google maps ... please be patient while downloading map)
Altitude : 3597 ft (above mean sea level)

Regards.
Dinesh
P1360261.JPG
P1360234.JPG
P1360235.JPG
P1360237.JPG
P1360239.JPG
P1360250.JPG
P1360256.JPG

shrikant ingalhalikar

Apr 10, 2011, 4:33:54 AM4/10/11
to efloraofindia
Yes Dineshji, your visualization is quite close. It is B. vitis-idaea,
but you need to see the fruits to be sure. Regards, Shrikant

On Apr 9, 11:27 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear friends,
> ID please.
>
> Shrub about 5 - 7 ft, growing in vicinity of a stream.
> This plant best visualized as larger version of *Breynia retusa* (cup-saucer
> plant).
>
> Date/Time : March 30, 2011 at 6.11pm IST
> Location Place : outskirts of Madikeri, Karnataka ... 12.451091, 75.711816 (on
> Google maps <http://goo.gl/maps/CLqp> ... please be patient while
> downloading map)
> Altitude : 3597 ft (above mean sea level)
>
> Regards.
> Dinesh
>
>  P1360261.JPG
> 109KViewDownload
>
>  P1360234.JPG
> 87KViewDownload
>
>  P1360235.JPG
> 90KViewDownload
>
>  P1360237.JPG
> 87KViewDownload
>
>  P1360239.JPG
> 140KViewDownload
>
>  P1360250.JPG
> 68KViewDownload
>
>  P1360256.JPG
> 62KViewDownload

Dinesh Valke

Apr 10, 2011, 5:16:09 AM4/10/11
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Many thanks Shrikant ji for the most possible ID ... Breynia vitis-idaea

At Flowers of India http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Mountain%20Coffee%20Bush.html, we have Prashant Awale's plant identified by Vijayasankar ji.

Calling Vijayasankar ji to validate my plant as Breynia vitis-idaea

Regards.
Dinesh

Vijayasankar

Apr 12, 2011, 11:51:03 PM4/12/11
to Dinesh Valke, indiatreepix
Dinesh ji, I tend to agree with Shrikant ji's id on account of leaf shape and the length of pedicel in male flowers. But a fruiting specimen would really help to confirm the id. As you know, fruiting calyx is enlarged in B. retusa whereas it is not enlarged in B. vitis-idaea.

Sorry for the delay in response.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Dinesh Valke

Apr 13, 2011, 12:25:03 AM4/13/11
to Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
Vijayasankar ji / Shrikant ji ... a counter-query:
Is / Are there any other species close to B. vitis-idaea ?

If B. retusa is the only closest one, then this plant is not it as per my perception ... because the flowers that are seen in the posted plant are comparatively larger ... as much as 2 - 3 times larger than that of B. retusa.

Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

May 9, 2011, 8:01:02 AM5/9/11
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Vijayasankar Raman, Mahadeswara, Prashant awale
Resurfacing again for ID
Earlier feedback

Dinesh ji......................................Shrub about 5 - 7 ft, growing in vicinity of a stream.
This plant best visualized as larger version of Breynia retusa (cup-saucer plant).

Shrikant ji....................................Yes Dineshji, your visualization is quite close. It is B. vitis-idaea,
but you need to see the fruits to be sure. Regards,

Dinesh ji.......................................At Flowers of India http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Mountain%20Coffee%20Bush.html, we have Prashant Awale's plant identified by Vijayasankar ji.

Vijayasankar ji.................................Dinesh ji, I tend to agree with Shrikant ji's id on account of leaf shape and the length of pedicel in male flowers. But a fruiting specimen would really help to confirm the id. As you know, fruiting calyx is enlarged in B. retusa whereas it is not enlarged in B. vitis-idaea.

Dinesh ji......................................Vijayasankar ji / Shrikant ji ... a counter-query:

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

J.M. Garg

Nov 15, 2013, 2:09:16 AM11/15/13
to efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty, Dinesh Valke, Vijayasankar Raman, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Reply from another thread:
"Looks like Breynia vitis-idaea.
T. Chakrabarty."

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Tapas Chakrabarty

Nov 15, 2013, 2:54:45 AM11/15/13
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Vijayasankar Raman, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Without female flowers and fruits it is not possible to comment on the correct identity of the images.
T. Chakrabarty.

Dinesh Valke

Nov 15, 2013, 3:12:47 AM11/15/13
to Tapas Chakrabarty, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Many thanks Garg ji for providing the response to this thread.

Thank you very very much Tapas ji for the clarity regarding limitation to resolve the ID of this query.
Someday when I visit Coorg again (hopefully during fruiting season of this plant), I will make it a point to go the site to get the photos.

Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 27, 2021, 10:36:47 PM2/27/21
to efloraofindia
Forwarding for ID
Distributed as  Breynia vitis-idaea ?
Group discussion at

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 27, 2021, 10:37:33 PM2/27/21
to indiantreepix, Dinesh Valke
Forwarding for ID
Distributed as  Breynia vitis-idaea ?
Group discussion at

Feb 28, 2021, 12:46:26 PM2/28/21
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke
Yes, it's Ji,
With regards.

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 02/28/21, 11:15:32 PM

Dinesh Valke

Mar 1, 2021, 9:07:48 AM3/1/21
to Paradesi Anjaneyulu, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Paradesi ji for validating the ID.
Many many thanks Gurcharan ji for resurfacing this very long pending query.
Regards.
Dinesh